PDA

View Full Version : Buffer & Buffer Spring Question

fireblast713
05-26-11, 23:52
So I'm working on building my first AR and I have what is probably a stupid question. I have a midlength gas system with a 16" lightweight daniel defense 1/7 twist barrel and carbine buffer tube, from all the threads I've here and on ar15.com a carbine buffer is what I want to ensure the reliability of low powered ammo due to the lower pressures in the midlength gas system, an H1 can be used but might cause short stroking with lower powered ammo

Now for the dumb part... does manufacturer matter when it comes to the buffer spring/buffer? I mean they seem like very simple parts, a spring is a spring, a weight is a weight... but you never know in the AR arena... Anyways if anyone can chime in on this i'd appreciate it, also if anyone has any strong arguments from why I should be using a H1, H2, H1000 buffer, etc instead of a standard carbine one feel free to comment

bsmith_shoot
05-27-11, 00:02
Just go with something from BCM, G&R, Ranier, etc.... As a matter a fact, click on one of the vendor tabs up top, either will do. I use a H buffer in mine, but the carbine will work if your running mostly WPA or Tula, or Bear.
Just a little heads up though man, try the search function next time, theres probaly 50 threads on this topic. A lot of these guys will flame you pretty hard for not using it. Just a little FYI. :)

Iraqgunz
05-27-11, 00:03
Have you bothered to read any of the stuff on midlengths? There is alot of information there. Having said that first and foremost we need to know what barrel you are using.

In the testing that markm and I did we were able to use carbine, H and H2 with no issues. In my Noveske and one other midlength I used an H.

fireblast713
05-27-11, 00:05
Hey, thanks for the input, i read through the threads that's how I came to the conclusion of the carbine buffer, no one seemed to comment on brand of buffer spring/buffer, I was going to get these since I'm already placing an order there and have free shipping, but they're no name/unbranded so I was curious how big a deal it is to buy a "name brand" buffer/buffer spring. Would these be ok?

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JB-CARBUFFER&CartID=3

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JB-Buffer+Spring&CartID=2

updated the post to reflect the barrel I'm using, thanks again for all the help

Iraqgunz
05-27-11, 00:10
I think I would use an H buffer and standard spring. I would not purchase any parts from a place like "joebobsoutfitters". Just buy some decent stuff from BCM or DD.

BBJones13
05-27-11, 13:32
I think I would use an H buffer and standard spring. I would not purchase any parts from a place like "joebobsoutfitters". Just buy some decent stuff from BCM or DD.

+1
I have the same barrel (DD LW 16" mid) and it has run brown bear with 0 problems with an H1 and an ST-2 (spikes' creation that is almost the weight of an H2 but uses metal powder instead of solid weights. Tried it and don't see it as an advantage at all.). Now moving to VLTOR's A5 system and with limited shooting seems to function as well or better with BB.

I would get a BCM H1 and be done with it, for a first build.

Dutchy556
05-27-11, 14:10
I agree with the guys above - An H buffer and standard spring work well in the middies I own - ran cheap low powered ammo just fine.

I also would buy from a known quality dealer like those that have been mentioned. No-name parts from a place with a name like Joebobs' don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. With a company like BCM or G&R or Rainier you know getting parts that are to spec.

Leonidas24
05-27-11, 15:09
I might be crazy for suggesting this, and although it is apples to oranges I've used an H2 in my 12.5" barreled SBR using Tula with no problems.

But like I said, apples and oranges. Start out with a standard spring and H buffer and progress from there.