PDA

View Full Version : Police on MBikes with AR

Pappabear
05-27-11, 05:21
Saw these two Policemen cruising the other day in Tempe. Not sure they were Tempe PD, may have been Phoenix? But I was digging the set-up on the right. I had never seen this before.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz142/Pappabear6940/IMG_2341.jpg

Good for him.

Bowser
05-27-11, 05:33
Did that XTerra run a red? lol

C45P312
05-27-11, 05:39
My instructor for Colt's armorers class was a CA police officer and his department issues the Colt commando to everyone including mbikes. Was pretty cool when he showed pics. Their swat guys even use surefire cans I think

Work2shoot
05-27-11, 06:52
Did that XTerra run a red? lol

Honda Element, and yes I do! Haha

Work2shoot
05-27-11, 06:53
Double post

markm
05-27-11, 08:44
That's right by my house! :eek:

jwfuhrman
05-27-11, 08:47
oh Arizona, how I miss thee. Only been to Phoenix once, but it was enough to make me want to live in that lovely state.

At least the Police forces in your area have the budget for Bikes. All of ours have run the departments so broke with stupid buying sprees on shit they don't need that they don't have the money for this kinda of stuff.

ReaperAZ
05-27-11, 09:31
I'll be up in Phx/Tempe this weekend, will have to keep my eyes open. Would like to take a closer look at how they have that "attached" to the bike.

markm
05-27-11, 09:43
I'll be up in Phx/Tempe this weekend, will have to keep my eyes open. Would like to take a closer look at how they have that "attached" to the bike.

Yeah. I'd love to put one on my mountain bike and bee bop around Tempe. :D

ReaperAZ
05-27-11, 09:47
Yeah. I'd love to put one on my mountain bike and bee bop around Tempe. :D

Hahaha, that would certainly raise a few eyebrows from people.

GTifosi
05-27-11, 09:50
I hope for securities sake they train them to drop the bike that side down if they have to put it down deliberately.
Better to smash the rifle with the bike than offer the chance of a lifetime for someone to come along and pick up a free one.

(or am I the only one who's very first thought was 'just a little tap and someone's got a cop gun'?)

g5m
05-27-11, 09:57
Thanks for that photo. Very neat.

mhanna91
05-27-11, 10:05
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=421101

This looks like a rear fender mount.

Jake'sDad
05-27-11, 10:12
There's a few agencies in the southwest that mount AR's on their Motors, just as they previously mounted shotguns on them. Due to their mobility, motor cops are often the first to arrive on hot calls, including active shooters. Makes sense to equip them for it.

GTifosi, I assume that carbine is bolted down in some sort of lock. Obviously not completely secure, but not something that could just be grabbed while he's on a traffic stop.

Stickman
05-27-11, 10:52
I hope for securities sake they train them to drop the bike that side down if they have to put it down deliberately.
Better to smash the rifle with the bike than offer the chance of a lifetime for someone to come along and pick up a free one.

(or am I the only one who's very first thought was 'just a little tap and someone's got a cop gun'?)

It doesn't sound like you are familiar with their training, or equipment.

C-grunt
05-27-11, 11:14
That does look like it could be a Phx motor. Tempe and Phx have similar uniforms. But working with motors a lot I have never seen a Phx motor with a rifle.

ETA: I bet its a Tempe officer. They train A LOT for active shooters and what not because they have ASU.

markm
05-27-11, 12:29
ETA: I bet its a Tempe officer. They train A LOT for active shooters and what not because they have ASU.

And probably a Sergeant. I can remember when Tempe PD Sergeants were the only guys with Shotguns.

C-grunt
05-27-11, 12:38
And probably a Sergeant. I can remember when Tempe PD Sergeants were the only guys with Shotguns.

Really? Thats ass backwards. At least with Phx Sgts are command personnel at a scene and would be at the back of a pack. Not to saying that they shouldnt have one, especially if they are first on a major scene. But giving only the Sgts the long guns is a bad idea to me.

MCS
05-27-11, 12:49
Really? Thats ass backwards. At least with Phx Sgts are command personnel at a scene and would be at the back of a pack. Not to saying that they shouldnt have one, especially if they are first on a major scene. But giving only the Sgts the long guns is a bad idea to me.

Agreed!

markm
05-27-11, 13:42

This was 10 years or so back. I think they've come a long way since then.

Mr_Anderson556
05-27-11, 14:03

I think you would be surprised how much this happens.

C-grunt
05-27-11, 15:24
I think you would be surprised how much this happens.

I know it does happen a lot. But working with other agencies here in the metro Phoenix area, they all seem to be pretty squared away for the most part when talking about tactics and weapons.

I cant think of any of them that have crazy policies regarding weapons. phoenix is probably one of the more strict especially with rifles. We have to go through and pass a 40 hour training class to carry one with quarterly qualifications and 4 hour training sessions. But its actually pretty good training believe it or not.