PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 18 inch LW vs 18 inch SPR barrel

jimmyp
05-27-11, 05:42
Is there any downside to using the Noveske 18 inch Light Weight barrel for a SPR build? It saves me 6 ounces.

ra2bach
05-27-11, 08:28
where has the weight been removed?

C-grunt
05-27-11, 13:33
Is there any downside to using the Noveske 18 inch Light Weight barrel for a SPR build? It saves me 6 ounces.

I called them and asked about the LW stainless barrel a couple weeks ago. The rep on the phone said the LW should be just as accurate as the heavier profiled barrel.

I would assume though that the heavier barrel will heat up slower. But on the other hand the LW barrel should cool off faster.

jimmyp
05-27-11, 13:36
the LW barrel is .680 in front of the gas block, behind the gas block it is .730 by the breach tapering up to .700 to the gas block and 416 stainless.

Iraqgunz
05-27-11, 14:18
Some of these "Vs." threads are getting old. Aside from the weight savings unless you have two identical weapons with the barrels in place, using identical ammo, optics, shooter, etc... I don't see how you can make any kind of informed decision. That's just me.

Skyyr
05-27-11, 15:57
IIRC, the LW barrel was for hunters who wanted a lighter rig. It's used on their Rogue Hunter 18" upper.

The standard SPR barrel is a heavier contour and usually used on SPR uppers and is paired with a MUR receiver.

If you're going to carry the gun or shoot offhand with it, it makes sense to go with the lighter barrel/upper. If you're looking to squeeze every last bit of mechanical accuracy out of your rifle, go with the SPR. If you don't have a specific use in mind or might use it in both rolls, then I'd go with the LW barrel; you'd need a mechanical rest and a test group of 10,000 rounds to see any appreciable difference between the two.

MistWolf
05-27-11, 16:40
I called them and asked about the LW stainless barrel a couple weeks ago. The rep on the phone said the LW should be just as accurate as the heavier profiled barrel.

I would assume though that the heavier barrel will heat up slower. But on the other hand the LW barrel should cool off faster.

Assuming both barrels are at the same temperature, the barrel with less mass will cool to room temperature quicker because it is holding less heat (fewer BTUS). If both barrels have the same amount of heat (equal BTUs), the heavier barrel will be at a lower temperature. It also has a larger surface area from which to radiate heat.

Those are the trade-offs. The barrel that's a better heatsink is heavier. The lighter barrel is easier to carry will reach higher temperatures with the same rate of fire.

Accuracy is determined by barrel quality. The extra mass, assuming barrels of the same length and similar profiles, may help with consistency. There is nothing wrong with building an SPR with a lighter profile barrel

jimmyp
05-27-11, 17:07
Thanks, I will then save weight!