PDA

View Full Version : Just thinking more about the term 'frankenbuilds'

Akkilles
05-27-11, 11:07
Like most of you, I look around on local and hobby specific forums all day long. I am new to the AR world, but am building (with the advice of this forum) what I consider to be a solid rifle. Far superior in quality and aesthetics to what I see for sale or discussed most often on web forums or by 'laypersons'. Before I started researching, my AR knowledge was based solely on word of mouth and friends in the military. This means that I considered DPMS, bushmaster, S&W, etc AR platforms top of the line, other than the obvious 'custom' manufacturers.

A coworker bought an M&P15 for like $1500 used a few months ago, and I was looking at it in AWE, thinking 'man one day ill have a fine peice of machinery like that'.

Well, here I am, 2 parts away from a MUCH better rifle (I hope) than that one, and for a hell of alot cheaper. With tax, shipping, etc, after all is said and done. I am on target for coming in less than $900, and that is if I buy the 2 parts I need new and ship them. And I saw something this morning that made me laugh. A guy on a local forum posted a WTT/WTB thread. He wanted a 'top of the line' AR, such as DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. He had a list of other items he was willing to trade+cash, or just do cash only. At the bottom, he wrote "ABSOLUTELY NO 'FRANKENBUILDS".

I read this and just chuckled. I am a rookie in the AR world, and I would have thought the same thing a few months ago.

djegators
05-27-11, 11:09
Well, it depends on definition. I'd say to most informed folks, "Frankenbuild" refers more to trash bin parts collection assembled into a complete rifle, not a custom build from desired various parts.

vecdran
05-27-11, 12:11
Some people are stuck on brands. Just like some people build PCs, and others are slavish whores to Apple.

pinzgauer
05-27-11, 15:44
Frankenbuild characteristics:

Mismatched, Incomplete uppers / lowers supplemented with Generic parts to nominally make it a complete rifle

"Custom" builds where the builder spent hours selecting the logo & colors on the lower, but went with Generic / DPMS LPK, BCG, barrel, etc. Usually with a huge rail, loaded with knockoff accessories

Heat shields cut down with tin snips to fit generic M4 handguard on a colt SP rifle lower. Generic carbine barrel/upper.

These are not Frankenbuilds:

Hybrids- Top tier upper mated to a lower from different top tier mfg, either due to choice or just worked out that way in trading, etc. (DD or Colt upper on a LMT Lower, etc)

Best of breed- Custom builds of carefully selected top tier components from different mfg's. No, you won't save money over a stock colt/LMT/DD/BCM M4, but sometimes you just want or think you need something different. Not uncommon if you also shoot non-5.56 calibers. (I shoot both Grendel and 5.56)

polymorpheous
05-27-11, 15:56
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77704&highlight=franken

JSGlock34
05-27-11, 16:00
Agreed, there is a major difference between a custom build from select, premium components and the armorer putting together a rifle using whatever salvaged parts remain left in the parts bin.