PDA

View Full Version : EOTech MPO II

Sfred088
05-28-11, 11:43
I've been waiting for almost 5 months to get one of the new EOTech MPO II combo packs. One of the stores I get tactical gear from has them in stock. They only got 15 though.

http://www.militarywarfighter.com/EOTech_MPO_II_EXPS3_4_G23FTS_p/eotech-mpo-ii-exps3-4.g23fts.htm

I ordered one, it shipped the next day, and I already got it. I can't wait to get to the range this weekend.

Is there anyone else that has experience with the EOTech MPO II?

Hmac
05-28-11, 11:55
I've been waiting for almost 5 months to get one of the new EOTech MPO II combo packs. One of the stores I get tactical gear from has them in stock. They only got 15 though.

http://www.militarywarfighter.com/EOTech_MPO_II_EXPS3_4_G23FTS_p/eotech-mpo-ii-exps3-4.g23fts.htm

I ordered one, it shipped the next day, and I already got it. I can't wait to get to the range this weekend.

Is there anyone else that has experience with the EOTech MPO II?

Yes. I use an OPMOD (EXPS3 without night vision), and I occasionally attach the G23FTS. It's a good system, has been durable and accurate for me. I prefer the Eotech reticle. I have the 4 dot BDC reticle on a Eotech 556...I haven't found it at all useful for my needs. I rarely shoot beyond 50 yards and find it kind of annoying.

Sfred088
05-31-11, 09:19
Thanks for the reply!

Low Drag
10-08-11, 09:58
Yes. I use an OPMOD (EXPS3 without night vision), and I occasionally attach the G23FTS. It's a good system, has been durable and accurate for me. I prefer the Eotech reticle. I have the 4 dot BDC reticle on a Eotech 556...I haven't found it at all useful for my needs. I rarely shoot beyond 50 yards and find it kind of annoying.

I'm giving one of these some thought and hope you'll indulge me.

Do the BDC dots "get in the way" when trying to shoot fast up close? I like the idea of BDC for a standard optic/scope but the idea of an Eotech with magnification behind it is intriguing. I guess the best would be BDC knobs on the Eotech.......

I have a match upper with SS barrel that I have a Leupold 1.5-5X on. I'm trying to get to that "do it all" carbine set up and was thinking this would be a step in that direction. My thinking is to keep the magnifier off unless I was going to shoot past 100 yards, keep the gun light etc.

Have you done any shooting at all with it past 200 yards?

a0cake
10-08-11, 10:50
Generally, you should ask about something BEFORE you buy it. But here we go....

I have used this system extensively. I don't like it. I wanted to like it, but I just don't.

First of all, you need to use a 1CM low at 25M zero to get your aiming points on target for 400, 500, and 600 meters. This provides a rather loopy trajectory between 0 and 300, where 95% of your shooting will take place. Maximum ordinate is close to 10'' over LOS and occurs between 150 and 200M.

Sure, you CAN zero the top dot at 100M, for example, and determine what ranges the other 3 dots correspond with. EOTECH lists the distance in MOA between the 4 dots, so all you need is a ballistics calculator like JBM or SHOOTER to do this.

In the list below, I have created a chart based off of a 100M zero. The numbers in the left vertical column correspond to the aiming points on the EOTECH reticle. The half marks (.5) are halfway between the dots. The "Bottom O" is the bottom of the 65 MOA circle.

100M

DOT----- MOA-------Distance

1----------0----------100

1.5--------2.8--------250

2----------5.6---------335

2.5--------8.05--------400

3------------10.5------460

3.5-------14.05-------- 540

4-----------6.6--------- 590

Bottom O----2.5------- 830m

As you can see, a setup like this with a 100M zero is not extraordinarily effectve. This is a big reason why I don't like this EOTECH system.

Also, when the magnifier is flipped to the side, the 4 dots are a little distracting. Not to the extent that you can't correct with training, but I definitely like 1 dot better for close range.

Add these issues to EOTECH's known battery problems (even with the XPS series) and you have a big fat NO-GO.

The solution? Return the EOTECH and look below...

Hands down the SWFA SS 1-4 HD with Donut/MIL reticle for $799.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P48362.aspx

This optic is a Short Dot killer. It outclasses the Nightforce NXS and S&B Short Dot with ease. It's simply a better scope. I've had all three and the SWFA wins. The reticle is the the best thought out reticle in the 1-4 class of scopes available. The adjustments match the reticle (.10 MIL). The illumination is day time visible. The glass is as good as the S&B, just without the blue wash. The scope is tough as nails. It tracks repeatably. Outstanding warranty.

SWFA 1-4's now ride on almost all my sub 16'' barreled carbines. I still have an Aimpoint on one personal rifle to maintain familiarity.

Hmac
10-08-11, 14:28
I'm giving one of these some thought and hope you'll indulge me.

Do the BDC dots "get in the way" when trying to shoot fast up close? I like the idea of BDC for a standard optic/scope but the idea of an Eotech with magnification behind it is intriguing. I guess the best would be BDC knobs on the Eotech.......

I have a match upper with SS barrel that I have a Leupold 1.5-5X on. I'm trying to get to that "do it all" carbine set up and was thinking this would be a step in that direction. My thinking is to keep the magnifier off unless I was going to shoot past 100 yards, keep the gun light etc.

Have you done any shooting at all with it past 200 yards?

That system was designed to be used with a magnifier. Without one, the dots are kind of hard to resolve as discreet dots so what you have for closer shots is a sort of vertical line. It's not hard to just use the top of the line at your POA and it's relatively accurate in that usage.

I think the concept is accurate, and works well, but my experience with it is limited and I haven't shot it beyond 200 yards.

Magic_Salad0892
10-09-11, 01:59
This optic is a Short Dot killer. It outclasses the Nightforce NXS and S&B Short Dot with ease. It's simply a better scope. I've had all three and the SWFA wins. The reticle is the the best thought out reticle in the 1-4 class of scopes available. The adjustments match the reticle (.10 MIL). The illumination is day time visible. The glass is as good as the S&B, just without the blue wash. The scope is tough as nails. It tracks repeatably. Outstanding warranty.

SWFA 1-4's now ride on almost all my sub 16'' barreled carbines. I still have an Aimpoint on one personal rifle to maintain familiarity.

These are ****in' extreme claims. PM inbound.

a0cake
10-09-11, 02:34
These are ****in' extreme claims. PM inbound.

How is that an extreme claim? If you haven't used all three, what qualifies you to throw yourself into this conversation? I'm not a fanboy for anybody and I don't have a vested interested in any of these companies. I'm qualified to comment on this topic from a position of experience and operational usage.

The NF reticles are not as practical. Their hollow mil-dot reticle certainly has some merit at long range, but is lacking on short range target acquisition. The other reticles, such as the FC2, for example, are good for short range but are deficient at range estimation and long range precision. The baby NXS is a bomb proof scope for sure, but in my experience the SWFA gives nothing to it in durability.

The short dot is a great optic also. I'm not saying it's not. But without illumination, it's not practical on 1X. The illuminated dot is great when it's on, but battery life on all these scopes is not stellar. On a fighting rifle, you can't count on the battery being good to go at any given time with any of these three 1-4X optics. The reticle needs to be effective even without illumination. This is where the SWFA makes its money.

The Donut/Mil-dot reticle on the SWFA is hands down the most practical available. Battery life is somewhat lacking (same with all 1-4's except the TR-24's, obviously), but the SWFA puts you in the best position to use the optic on 1X without the IR.

Now, let's talk glass. The SWFA gives nothing to either of these in the department of optical clarity. The blue tint in the S&B's is not a big deal at all. It's not a major minus as some claim. But the point is that it's not better than the SWFA. The NF isn't either. The NF eye box is somewhat less forgiving also. The SWFA and S&B are somewhat equal in this respect.

When I wasn't carrying an M110, my M4 with SWFA 1-4X was my go to rifle in the mountains of Afghanistan. It took a beating. When I ate shit walking on the rocks, so did the scope. When the temperature changed from 80 degrees at 2,000FT AGL to flat out cold as shit at 10,000 FT AGL, the scope took it. And it never missed a beat.

I defy you to present evidence that trumps my experience. If you prefer the NF or the S&B, then by god use them. For my own use, I go elsewhere. I presented my opinion, and that is all. Take it or leave it. What you shouldn't do is call me out publicly like I'm full of shit, especially considering the fact that you have NOT used all three optics as you stated in your PM.

Failure2Stop
10-09-11, 03:17
KEEP IT ON TOPIC

Magic_Salad0892
10-10-11, 01:41
How is that an extreme claim? If you haven't used all three, what qualifies you to throw yourself into this conversation? I'm not a fanboy for anybody and I don't have a vested interested in any of these companies. I'm qualified to comment on this topic from a position of experience and operational usage.

The NF reticles are not as practical. Their hollow mil-dot reticle certainly has some merit at long range, but is lacking on short range target acquisition. The other reticles, such as the FC2, for example, are good for short range but are deficient at range estimation and long range precision. The baby NXS is a bomb proof scope for sure, but in my experience the SWFA gives nothing to it in durability.

The short dot is a great optic also. I'm not saying it's not. But without illumination, it's not practical on 1X. The illuminated dot is great when it's on, but battery life on all these scopes is not stellar. On a fighting rifle, you can't count on the battery being good to go at any given time with any of these three 1-4X optics. The reticle needs to be effective even without illumination. This is where the SWFA makes its money.

The Donut/Mil-dot reticle on the SWFA is hands down the most practical available. Battery life is somewhat lacking (same with all 1-4's except the TR-24's, obviously), but the SWFA puts you in the best position to use the optic on 1X without the IR.

Now, let's talk glass. The SWFA gives nothing to either of these in the department of optical clarity. The blue tint in the S&B's is not a big deal at all. It's not a major minus as some claim. But the point is that it's not better than the SWFA. The NF isn't either. The NF eye box is somewhat less forgiving also. The SWFA and S&B are somewhat equal in this respect.

When I wasn't carrying an M110, my M4 with SWFA 1-4X was my go to rifle in the mountains of Afghanistan. It took a beating. When I ate shit walking on the rocks, so did the scope. When the temperature changed from 80 degrees at 2,000FT AGL to flat out cold as shit at 10,000 FT AGL, the scope took it. And it never missed a beat.

I defy you to present evidence that trumps my experience. If you prefer the NF or the S&B, then by god use them. For my own use, I go elsewhere. I presented my opinion, and that is all. Take it or leave it. What you shouldn't do is call me out publicly like I'm full of shit, especially considering the fact that you have NOT used all three optics as you stated in your PM.

PM inbound. Please don't derail the thread. I wasn't intending to be hostile with you.

However, in retrospect I'd understand why you thought that way.

It was more like ''That's pretty hardcore. Why?'' as opposed to ''You're a ****in' retard.''

I really apologize, dude. I didn't mean it that way.

Low Drag
10-20-11, 20:53
That system was designed to be used with a magnifier. Without one, the dots are kind of hard to resolve as discreet dots so what you have for closer shots is a sort of vertical line. It's not hard to just use the top of the line at your POA and it's relatively accurate in that usage.

I think the concept is accurate, and works well, but my experience with it is limited and I haven't shot it beyond 200 yards.

Thanks for the info. I've been Jone'in on these a while now. I think if I go this route I'll simply go for the single 1 MOA dot and add the magnifier. I'll zero it at 200 yards and call it good from CQB out to 300 yards. I'll hold high at further distances.

Low Drag
10-25-11, 07:51
Well I finally got the rifle from the shop. I had to get a muzzle device pinned on the 14.5" bb.

She's a BCM upper, light weight 14.5" bbl, mid length gas system with DD 12" lite rail. Also got a BCM blemished lower (I'll be damned if I can find the defect), put a Magpul ACS stock on it and a VFG.

A buddy let me borrow an Aimpoint micro and Eotech. She liked the Eotech hands down. I built this to be light for her due to a wrist injury. The weight between the Eotech and Aimpoint was not noticeable and she really liked the circle/dot.

Thanks gents.