PDA

View Full Version : SBR question

hazmat25
05-28-11, 11:49
Its a dumb question and I cant seem to find the answer anywhere so Im forced to ask it. If i just want to get an SBR upper and put it on a current 16" rifle do I still need to do the form 1?

af_tt
05-28-11, 12:02
Yes, You would register that lower as the SBR on a form 1.

hazmat25
05-28-11, 12:42
thank you. now i just need to decide if im going the trust route or try to get my CLEO to sign off on it

af_tt
05-28-11, 15:03
I did the trust. It was too easy now just wait. The trust seems to be a faster route as well. The trust was what I decided on because I wanted my wife to be able to move the NFA items around bring them to me etc. Additionally if something happens to me I leave everyone with one less headache or one half less...

Good luck with your endeavor. If you think of anything just try a search for it and more than likely there's a thread with multiple pages and a TON of info on the subject!

Welcome to M4C

hazmat25
05-28-11, 20:13
thanks. since im here everything ive read has told me how to set up a trust but im confused as to the sequence of events. Im guessing it goes like this: contact lawyer to set up trust (naming NFA weapon in trust) fill out form 1 and mail in with check and copy of trust to ATF. have lower engraved, get stamp back from ATF and then finally purchase upper and then play time...... Do i have it right?

RD62
05-28-11, 21:08
I'd set up the trust, have the lower engraved and then assuming there are no issues with that add it to the trust, then submit the paperwork.

This will save you from having the potential hassle of a damaged registered SBR if something goes wrong with the engraving (not that I've personally ever seen it).

Good luck and enjoy your SBR when your stamp comes back.