PDA

View Full Version : Parts interchangability

drrufo
05-28-11, 14:13
This may have been answered in another post, but I couldn't find it in search mode, so here goes.
Does anyone know if the slides fron the various manufacturers will interchange? I am looking at commander and officers slides to put on my government model C. Daly. I know it is an Armscor part, but do most companies try to build to the orginal specs or do they make them to their own plans?

munch520
05-28-11, 14:25
As is the situation with all 1911 parts, large and small, I believe it will need to be fit. But to what degree - it's always hard to tell. Sorry bud - I'm sure someone else will be able to jump in and be a little more helpful :)

Sgt_Gold
05-28-11, 17:06
Your biggest issue is going to be what (if any) firing pin system is the frame set up for. You have frames that are setup for no FPS, the series 80 FPS, and the Schwartz safety, and not all of them play well with the other ones.

jwperry
05-28-11, 17:18
I think your dust cover on your government sized frame will prevent you from using commander and officer slides.

At least, when I had a 1911 and tried to put a commander 22LR slide on my government sized frame it was a no-go.

CAVDOC
05-31-11, 16:10
there is very little in the way of drop in and go parts for 1911's so many makers so many tolerances. Rarely if ever will any major part on any 1911 be a functional drop in part.

Paul D
05-31-11, 23:18
I think the only truely "drop in" or interchangable parts are the 5 springs in the 1911: hammer, recoil, sear, mag release, and firing pin.

ssracer
06-01-11, 09:40
Every component in the frame of my RIA came from a Kimber. The only two pieces that needed any fitting were the beavertail grip safety (mine started as a GI model so this would have been needed regardless) and a tiny bit of fitting with the mag release.

So it will be a hit and miss operation. I would think a component as major as the slide would likely need some fine tuning at least. And like others have said, what firing pin set up is there will be of great importance as well.

munch520
06-03-11, 07:19
there is very little in the way of drop in and go parts for 1911's so many makers so many tolerances. Rarely if ever will any major part on any 1911 be a functional drop in part.

although most are advertised that way :haha:

Big Bronze Rim
06-03-11, 08:40
Oh, you might be able to drop it in, but that doesn't mean it's actually going to work right.

munch520
06-03-11, 11:54
touche sir:jester: