PDA

View Full Version : DPMS?

TOrrock
08-13-06, 15:51
Ok, I know about their 5.56mm rifles..........have they improved QC and all that for their .308 rifles?

Any experiences, either good or bad with them?

Robb Jensen
08-13-06, 16:29
Ok, I know about their 5.56mm rifles..........have they improved QC and all that for their .308 rifles?

Any experiences, either good or bad with them?

DPMS LR308s and AP4s are very reliable, very accurate and very well made. And they're a lot cheaper than Armalite. They use mags that cost about $40 ea. and are compatible with KAC SR-25 mags.

olds442tyguy
08-13-06, 20:47
Even though they are getting alot of credit as of late, I still think they deserve even more.

I've always been skeptical of DPMS, but I'm planning on a DPMS 308 build when I get some other things out of the way.

SHIVAN
08-14-06, 10:04
I would specifically try to get one of their forged pieces. The original ones were made from extruded parts and I've become leary of extruded and cast AR parts.

They certainly represent a very good value in the .308 AR market, and since there doesn't need to be a reverse compatibilty with other AR's there is no DPMS ---> "Milspec" worries; which is what they were notorious for in the past.

DrMark
08-14-06, 13:48
I shot my brother's DPMS .308 about a week ago. The first time he had tried it (several weeks prior), he had used Igman ammo, and there were malfunctions. While shooting with me, he had South African, and the gun functioned fine. Groups of about 1.25" at 50 yards with an EOTech. A gun dealer was shooting with us (he sells a lot of DPMS, including this particular gun) and he mentioned that he has heard many reports of good accuracy.

SHIVAN
08-14-06, 14:05
"TOS" has a thread in AR Variants about a LR-260 with some problems, I will update here as the resolution from DPMS comes to light.

HTH...

Aubie515
08-14-06, 22:48
I own two DPMS LR rifles...18" and a 24" SS that I haven't shot...the 18" is amazingly accurate for a gas operated rifle. As accurate or better than my bolt action rifles.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/aubie515/Cnv0185.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/aubie515/Cnv0181.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/aubie515/Cnv0182.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/aubie515/Cnv0183.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/aubie515/Cnv0184.jpg

TigerStripe
08-15-06, 02:11
I've seen the DPMS mags for as little as $25. I'm not in the market for a .308 now though...

TS

Face_N_The_Crowd
08-15-06, 12:47
yeah, mags are more $25.00

I have an M4gy .308. I only have a few hundred rounds through it (500 / 600) runs great. I have only shot Austrian and South African. I shot last week at 422yrds on steel. Surp ammo. 9 MOA up. Boom ....ding.

Works for me.

Boom
09-29-06, 00:04
I had a chance last year to pick up a DPMS M4 308 for 700.00 but I passed. :(

Voodoochild
09-29-06, 09:41
Buddy of mine bought an AP4 from VA Arms and it is a pretty nice rifle. It shoots pretty good we have just used SA as ammo not any good match ammo. Overall I would give it a thumbs up for sure.

Nitrox
09-29-06, 19:33
I shot an AP4 with SA surplus today and it absolutely railed.

Al U. 5811
09-29-06, 21:29
We use them at work in our TRAPS and have a couple with thermals. They run ok but heat up very fast. We have had problems with breaking extractors. Ours will not run with anything other than KAC mags.

KYPD
10-02-06, 17:10
I purchased a DPMS AP4 in June of this year. This is an AR style .308 Winchester rifle with an m-forgery 16" barrel and collapsible stock. Right out of the box, this rifle had a problem. The first thing I did was inspect and clean the barrel. During visual inspection I saw some junk near the gas port. When I tried to run a patch through (Dewey rod and 30 cal jag) I couldn't get it through the bore no matter how hard I pushed. I finally cut the patches very small and was able to get a few through, but they came out cut up and covered with cutting oil and shavings. Not good.

I shot the rifle at the range, but the groups were not even on the paper. I finally bought two boxes of Federal Premium Gold Match BTHP ammo, mounted a 36x Leupold benchrest scope, and Jewell trigger, and shot it off sandbags from a concrete benchrest like it was a benchgun. (I have shot benchrest competitively for many years.) The best 5-shot group at 48 YARDS (!!!) was over 11". Soon after, I returned the upper receiver assembly and bolt carrier group along with the targets to DPMS for warranty service. They returned it two weeks ago with a new barrel, at no charge. While they were courteous and helpful, they did not pay for the shipping nor apologize for the aggravation.

I have friends that own DPMS rifles in .308 caliber that shoot very well, so I must conclude that this was a QC problem that got out the door. DPMS has proved their integrity, but their QC procedures are not adequate, IMO. This was not a cheap rifle. It was not a parts gun, but was purchased assembled from the manufacturer. I will probably not buy anymore DPMS products.

For what it is worth.

KYPD