PDA

View Full Version : First squib today, found before KB

idreamt...
05-28-11, 23:01
Went to the range today, and pulled out my HK45. I had bought some Bubba Brew rounds at a gun show. I loaded them up, shot a few, and then nothing. Pulled the trigger and nothing happened. The case wouldn't extract, and the slide was jammed with only about a cm of movement. I asked the employees for some assistance, and they confirmed the case had over expanded, we finally got it to extract with enough force. I put the 45 away and threw out the rest of the Junk ammo, and shot the AR a few more times.
When I got home, I pulled the barrel out to clean and inspect it, and low and behold, there was a round just ahead of the chamber where the lands start. I inserted a coated rod through the muzzle and smacked it with a hammer and it popped out with little force. The gratitude set in that I didn't grab my corbon JHP's at range and keep shooting the HK. Gun and hand in tact.

This problem is all my doing, People always say the HK can eat anything, and it will, but I'll never skimp on ammo again.

I am concerned about the barrel a bit. This is the first time I ever encountered this. The way I understand it, the case was undercharged, and didn't have enough force to send the round through the barrel? If this is the case, then the barrel, chamber and, rifling should still be in spec?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

jmoore
05-28-11, 23:23
...who did this: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1208584/posts

Wasn't for the same reason as yours - but it was impressive, to say the least. Let's just say it was almost "code brown" for both contestants at the Gunsite shootoff:)

Regarding your barrel - it should be fine, for the reasons you stated. OTOH - make damned sure that you drove out ONE bullet - not two compressed bullets. Barrels have been known to take the pressure of a live round behind the squib and still not let go. If that's the case - the least I would do (not a smith, and don't play one on TV) is mike out the barrel to see if there is any bulging noted.

Oh - and go buy a lottery ticket - cuz it's your lucky day:)

john

Rattlehead
05-28-11, 23:37
Low power charge or no powder, I've had it happen numerous times. I always bring a brass rod just in case I get a stuck bullet since I use my loads from a 1050 or 550 for practice. Once it's stuck it can wreck your day. Lucky you caught it, wouldn't want to bulge or destroy the barrel by trying to shoot it out with another round unknowingly.

skyugo
05-29-11, 13:01
doesn't HK intentionally lodge a squib then fire a round behind it as part of durability testing? That said, it's cool to know you can (i believe with some barrel damage, but continued functioning) but I'm not into stress testing my own gear. :o

anyway good catch to the OP. whenever i notice anything weird when shooting i field strip and check to make sure the barrel is clear. I had a squib with a russian makarov years ago when i was first getting into shooting. Made a weird kind of pop, and the slide came back hard cycling another round most of the way into the gun. luckily i noticed something was up and didn't pull the trigger. :eek:

Wildcat
05-29-11, 14:44
....The case wouldn't extract, and the slide was jammed with only about a cm of movement..... we finally got it to extract with enough force.
Anytime your firearm fires and it doesn't seem 'right' (especially if the report is too soft or has peculiar recoil) verify that the barrel and chamber are free of obstructions before continuing to shoot that gun.
Also if it does not fire. When you clear it and all you see is a shell casing and possibly loose powder (but no bullet) check the barrel for an obstruction.

In your situation, the bullet advanced far enough to lodge in the leade but not far enough to exit the case. It was stuck well enough that you probably pulled the case away from the bullet and left the bullet behind.

I don't think the bullet left in the barrel's throat would have allowed you to chamber another cartridge but it doesn't always work that way so you need to do a visual check when something like this happens.

I am concerned about the barrel a bit. This is the first time I ever encountered this. The way I understand it, the case was undercharged, and didn't have enough force to send the round through the barrel? If this is the case, then the barrel, chamber and, rifling should still be in spec?
Your barrel should be fine. If the case had any appreciable powder in it (which I doubt) the bullet would have traveled further down the barrel. That kind of failure is real trouble; particularly in revolvers but a friend of mine totalled a 4506 this way.

idreamt...
05-29-11, 14:54
Thanks for not throwing me to the wolves.
The round I punched out was a single round with no deformation. You guys touched on my biggest concern which was, the round I found after field stripping, pushing the previous round fired out of the barrel if that had been stuck as well, in turn bulging the barrel out. Not that I know or think that can happen, but knowing the HK can handle the pressure of firing on a squib increases the possible scenarios. By the evidence, or lack there of on the round, it seems it made no contact with anything, barely even the lands.

Culprit and Shot of Barrel from breech.

idreamt...
05-29-11, 14:57
Thanks again for all of your replies. A little reassurance can go a long way. Now, time to go get some Hornaday TAP.

dc202
05-29-11, 18:01
Had something similar happen three weeks ago with my first outing with a new P30. The recoil and report did not feel right. So I pulled back the slide and an empty case was ejected. Checked the barrel. The round had enough powder to propel the bullet out of the barrel but that's about all. This was with factory Winchester "NATO" ammo.

skyugo
05-30-11, 02:47
Thanks for not throwing me to the wolves.
The round I punched out was a single round with no deformation. You guys touched on my biggest concern which was, the round I found after field stripping, pushing the previous round fired out of the barrel if that had been stuck as well, in turn bulging the barrel out. Not that I know or think that can happen, but knowing the HK can handle the pressure of firing on a squib increases the possible scenarios. By the evidence, or lack there of on the round, it seems it made no contact with anything, barely even the lands.

Culprit and Shot of Barrel from breech.

looks good to go. :cool:

ThirdWatcher
05-30-11, 03:54
We live and learn. I had the same thing happen 30+ years ago when I was shooting my S&W Model 28-2, only it was my handloads I was firing. It didn't sound right so I didn't pull the trigger again. I also learned to check and double-check my ammo during the reloading process.

One thing I won't do is fire someone else's reloads. While I have learned my lesson, I'm not convinced everyone else has.