PDA

View Full Version : Steyr M Series ?

FMJ556
05-28-11, 23:07
I just read (old news I know) that Steyr has reintroduced the M and S series pistols with a couple of tweaks back into the US market. An intriguing design. Anyone have any experience with them ? They seem to have had a bit of a rocky history but seem to have a following.

uwe1
05-28-11, 23:54
Some of the more recent discussions about the Steyr are here....unless you're talking about the Caracal pistol...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53131&highlight=steyr

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71454&highlight=steyr

majette
05-29-11, 18:19
at one time i had three, two full size and one compact (when there were less than 500 of the compacts in the country). sold everything but a 1911 while i was on an extended layoff and will purchase another eventually. extremely low bore axis, very little muzzle flip, great reset on the trigger and the trapezoid sights work well. support is great as well and they have worked to keep accessories available.

FMJ556
05-29-11, 22:03
Thanks for the replies. Seems there is a fairly sharp division of opinions. People love them or really hate them. As far as I can gather the early ones were problematic. It probably will always remain a niche gun in the world of striker fired pistols dominated by Glocks & M&Ps.

Web Architect
06-01-11, 15:07
It probably will always remain a niche gun in the world of striker fired pistols dominated by Glocks & M&Ps.

That is probably true. I've had 3 FS and 1 compact. All were prior to the new and improved version they're promoting now. Never had a problem. Good trigger. It's been a while since I moved on from the platform, but I did check out the current model at SHOT this year and didn't find any discernible difference. Again, my point of reference may have been a bit stale. In my experience, in prior years they seemed to have been a great value: rock solid at a entry level price. I think they are selling for significantly more now, which would point me back into the mainstream...

GP100
06-01-11, 23:34
I picked up an M9 from CDNN way back. Its a nice gun if you can deal with the trapazoid sights and feed it what it likes. Its pretty picky and will FTE if it doesn't like what you're feeding it. When I stick with WWB ammo it works well. I haven't torn down/cleaned the extractor as detailed in the steyrclub tutorial, that might really fix things up.

06-02-11, 08:21
I've had two; M40 and M9. Both where lemons with FTE issues. Sent back to Steyr several times to no avail. Sold as soon as possible. I won't buy another Steyr pistol again.

ranburr
06-03-11, 15:16
The originals had extractor issues. This required that you swap to an improved extractor design. That was the only mechanical issue. The other problems revolved around the fact that there really is no after market support (holsters, sights, parts, etc). The gun itself is pretty nice for plastic.

Cawdor
06-03-11, 19:25
I had two M9s. (I tried the second one because it was $299.) I liked the gun, but it was not reliable enough to keep. Too many failures to extract, even with the improved extractor, and too many failures to go into battery. On the other hand, some owners have had no problems.

uwe1
06-03-11, 20:19
I had two M9s. (I tried the second one because it was $299.) I liked the gun, but it was not reliable enough to keep. Too many failures to extract, even with the improved extractor, and too many failures to go into battery. On the other hand, some owners have had no problems.

On three separate occasions, my Steyr M9A1 locked up, out of battery, with a live round in it and the firing pin partially sprung back. I couldn't fire the damned thing because it was out of battery and couldn't rack the slide. I was only able to free it up by pointing the gun downrange, with my finger squeezing hard on the trigger, and yanking back on the slide. :suicide:

POS gun!

legumeofterror
06-04-11, 17:45
I have an M9A1 manufactured in 2005. Bought it used, with 300 or so round shot through it personally without issue. I like the pistol quite a bit. The sights are odd, but once you get used to them they are very quick, but not as precise as traditional 3-dots.

Hop
06-04-11, 23:12
I have an M40. I bought it new. It has been rock solid reliable. It is now my primary carry gun.