PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer the thumb safety on the S&W M&P?

cathellsk
05-29-11, 01:40
I do not currently own a M&P, but have had a few over the years. I'm thinking of switching from Glocks to the M&P for good this time. One of the ones I owned had a thumb safety. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on whether or not you prefer the thumb safety. I know the merits for my own reasons, I'm trying to make my mind up if the next one I get will have one or not.
Now if I can just decide on 9 or 40! :jester: Thanks!

opmike
05-29-11, 02:46
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55733

ralph
05-29-11, 07:20
My midsize .45 used to have them..It's an older pistol ('08) the saftey levers as they came from the factory at that point in time, were just about useless. They had little resistance, and could be easily moved to either mode (safe, fire) with my little finger..I fixed this problem myself by simply removing the saftey levers and carefully deepening the notches in the lever with a small round jewelers file, this gave the detent more of a engagement surface, and I ended up with a very crisp 1911 like, saftey. The saftey levers themselves are not placed on the pistol in the same place as a 1911, And I found them to be more trouble than they're worth. I ended up removing them, and plugging the frame.Do I think they're needed? No, It's nice that S&W offers them as a option,and if you think you want them, I'd say see you can try one at rental range, If you do get a M&P with them, and later decide you don't want them, they can be easily removed, and the frame easily plugged.

DocGKR
05-29-11, 10:25
I strongly prefer the manual safety, as has been discussed in numerous previous threads...

Hillbilly
05-29-11, 22:54
i prefer them as well

kmrtnsn
05-29-11, 23:53
A lot has happened since Grover Cleveland was President. Auto pistols needed safties then, times have changed, pistols don't need them anymore, that is unless you insist on carrying a pistol designed when Cleveland was in office.

5cary
05-30-11, 04:42
If it's a fighting gun, then it comes down to consistency in training. My duty weapon (that I carry and train with everyday) does not have one, so neither do my personal ones.

rathos
05-30-11, 05:02
I have shot 1911s for a lot of years, so the thumb safety is comforting and it brings back consistency. For duty use I also prefer it because it adds another level of safety in case of a gun grab.

If you are going to carry it AIWB it also gives you that added safety to make sure you don't shoot your pecker off. :jester:

GLOCKMASTER
05-30-11, 06:49
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55733

Clue.....