PDA

View Full Version : Beam Filters/ Shapers...your opinions?

toddackerman
10-13-07, 01:36
I had a 9V Millennium M962C, and switched to Grant's Scout Light package for wight reasons, and the fact that I don't think I would ever use a light outside, and that I didn't need that mush brightness. I had a Red Beam Filter on the Millennium, but I never thought I would use the "Red" option.

I'm thinking about putting a clear filter, or just a flip-up cover like a Butler Creek on the Scout Light to protect the lens.

What do you guys think about "Colored" beam filters for tactical applications? If you believe they have merit, what color do you believe to be the best and why? (They come in Red, Blue and Opaque) Do you see a need for a lens cover to protect the lens? Is it just one more thing to worry about in a crisis situation?

Thanks for your replies!

Tack

2-BPM
10-13-07, 03:26
filters do have some use, but mostly in limited roles. i used a red filter in Iraq for walking around the FOB, but it was still too bright. (switched to a little gerber LED) the filter i used i made from a red GI anglehead flashlight and a 35mm film canister! the sure fire lenses are so tuff, i see no need for a "sacrifical"lense. the IR ones for nightvision use were the only ones we ended up keeping. oh, and the film canister(uncut) trick worked as a simple way to prevent a white light AD. they say blue filters help you spot blood, if thats a concern.

Gun Runner
10-26-07, 12:35
Blue is good for spotting blood, hydraulic oil, and the like.

Red is good for preserving your night vision and making yourself harder to spot to wild game/people.

I had planned to put a Butler Creek cover on my 9v weapon light but never got around to it, I never missed having one either.

For most situations a cover is completely worthless IMO.

UVvis
10-26-07, 15:36
Just some random info:
For bulb based lights, they put out a ton of red and IR and aren't as strong in the blues. LED's are the opposite. So a RED lens on an LED based light is usually weaker than on a comparable bulb based light, and blue is stronger on an LED.

The opaque white beam thing that Surefire makes has a few good uses. It dims the beam a bit, and makes it more of a soft flood light and cuts its useful range down greatly. This is very handy if you are working on something or someone close and need a good bit of flood light as it keeps you from being blinded and gives you a good light.

But that aside, I have found little use for colored filters and keep one of the opaque ones on a light in my toolbag.