PDA

View Full Version : Barell nut question?(rail not straight)

ARPATRIOT
05-29-11, 11:55
I have a new LMT 16" upper and MI gen 2 drop in rail.When installed the rail has a slight cant to the right(where in connects to the upper).Can the barell nut be turned just a bit to straighten this out?

Quiet-Matt
05-29-11, 13:29
Yes, if you have the right tools.

GTifosi
05-29-11, 13:31
But only if you want to potentially ruin the gas tube alignment or possibly get outside torque spec.
(canted right would require further tightening of the barrel nut to correct)

Its not impossible for the drop ins to be a little off kilter and still allow the delta ring to close partially over it and give the impression that its locked in properly/fully.
Get the ring way back (use the helper tool if you have one) and wiggle the offending section down in to ensure it's fully seating before allowing the ring to even touch it.

ARPATRIOT
05-29-11, 14:18
The gas tube is up against the the right side,with a small gap to the left of it(where it go's into the upper).

Quiet-Matt
05-29-11, 17:28
Well then it does indeed sound like a bbl nut alignment issue.

GTifosi
05-29-11, 18:20
I concur, but if the if the tube is against the right side of the U in the nut, then the rail should lean to the left as the nut is pitched that direction.

Though alternatively the tube could be tweaked and the nut is straight, but that shouldn't cause a misalignement of a rail.

Quiet-Matt
05-29-11, 19:22
I think we need clarification from ARPATRIOT. I'm taking it that the rail is canted to the right with the weapon shouldered, and the posioion of the gas tube in the gap as viewed from the muzzle. If that's the case, all would make sense. If not, other problems with the rail.

ARPATRIOT
05-29-11, 19:33
Rail has a cant to the right as the weapon is shouldered.The gas tube is up against the reciever in the same direction.

GTifosi
05-29-11, 22:15
Left is left, right is right as referenced from aft to fore/butt to muzzle regardless of which angle you're actually looking at it.

So with that in mind, you're looking at the rail canting to the right, the gas tube is up against the left side of a barrel nut U, and passes through the receiver hole up against the right side of the hole, correct?

If so, then yes, barrel nut can be a made a smidge tighter to correct the rail if doing so doesn't actually exceed torque limits.
That is if the gas tube is straight and not laying the way it is due to a subtle bend.

Iraqgunz
05-29-11, 23:10
Have a qualified person fix it right or do it yourself if possible. I would disassemble the whole barrel assembly and redo it.

mikeahe
05-30-11, 11:05
MI on LMT?:sad:

GTifosi
05-30-11, 11:28
Midwest Industries part mounted on a Lewis Machine & Tool upper.

markm
05-30-11, 11:38
I have the same problem with the MI 2 piece FF rail I have. I haven't attempted to correct it yet.

Stickman
05-30-11, 12:33
I have a new LMT 16" upper and MI gen 2 drop in rail.When installed the rail has a slight cant to the right(where in connects to the upper).Can the barell nut be turned just a bit to straighten this out?

Pull your BCG and CH, then flip the upper receiver over and look inside in good lighting. See where your gas tube is in relation to the upper receiver walls without your rail installed.

If your gas tube is pushed over to one side, its an issue that needs to be addressed. If the gas tube is centered, your question is answered. You don't move the barrel nut if that isn't the problem as tweaking your gas tube is going to create real problems.

ARPATRIOT
05-30-11, 18:00
Midwest Industries part mounted on a Lewis Machine & Tool upper.

What's the general thought on the MI products here?

GTifosi
05-30-11, 18:40
I can assure you I am not the person to ask about that.

However, I'm also sure there's a pile of threads around the forum where you could gather information from others more intimately familiar with those specific items.

mikeahe
05-30-11, 19:01
MI:sad:

markm
05-30-11, 21:50
What's the general thought on the MI products here?

MI has had out of spec rails in the past. For mounting some things it's not a problem, but I've read about guys who had problems with mounts that are not tollerant of non mil spec rails.

To me... if you're a rail mfg and you can't get the rails in spec... that's a problem.

I plan to rotate my MI out in favor of a Centurion when I get around to it.