PDA

View Full Version : fiending for a .308

muldoon
05-29-11, 12:23
I got bit by the gun bug recently, so I'm constantly looking at new guns and different calibers. I am very happy w/my new ar-15 (and 2 semi-auto pistols), but I want to add some range and "punch." At first I thought about getting another upper in either 6.8 spc or 6.5 Grendel. However, after talking to a local gun dealer I'm really serious about a .308. I would like to take up hunting, and I'm thinking that I want an effective range of 300-500 yds. Yes, mostly I would be punchin' holes, but I would like the added range and capabilty that either an Armalite or DPMS would provide. I know that weight and barrel length are important. I'm hoping to get something for under $1400, but if that Colt comes out @ a reasonable price I might have to clinch and dig deeper :eek:. I could really use some insight. Am I on the right line of thinking? :confused:

jbsmwd
05-29-11, 13:06
I got bit by the gun bug recently, so I'm constantly looking at new guns and different calibers. I am very happy w/my new ar-15 (and 2 semi-auto pistols), but I want to add some range and "punch." At first I thought about getting another upper in either 6.8 spc or 6.5 Grendel. However, after talking to a local gun dealer I'm really serious about a .308. I would like to take up hunting, and I'm thinking that I want an effective range of 300-500 yds. Yes, mostly I would be punchin' holes, but I would like the added range and capabilty that either an Armalite or DPMS would provide. I know that weight and barrel length are important. I'm hoping to get something for under $1400, but if that Colt comes out @ a reasonable price I might have to clinch and dig deeper :eek:. I could really use some insight. Am I on the right line of thinking? :confused:

.308 and under $2000 for a very solid platform is a tall order but to do it for $1400 will be even harder.

muldoon
05-29-11, 13:17
I was lookiing @ Armalite's on sale @ Bud's, GFA & the Armalite 4th of July sale (uppers & lowers). Most of them @ the $1200 +/- for new. Not a lot of cash left over for optics, but I'll cross that bridge later. I want to know if this a reasonble route or are there other companies or considerations I'm missing (good for hunting, weight, chrome lined barrel, etc.) :) Any help would be appreciated.

muldoon
06-01-11, 10:11
Helloooooo, anybody out theeeerrrrrreeeeeee?! :help:

LTMattyL
06-01-11, 11:10
I won't pretend to be an expert on the .308 AR platform. I think you will be able to find a lot of good information using the search button at the top of the site to give you a feel for what is out there. Most of the members on this site look for weapons that they can run hard day after day and get superior performance. LMT, LaRue, and KAC come to mind in this category. If you dig on this site you can find members that have Armalites and DPMS and I'm sure they can give you some feedback on their perfomance. From all my reading on this site, Armalites and DPMS are not top of the line for 5.56 rifles and i'm not sure of the overall consensus on their .308 platforms.

As for what to look for when choosing a .308, be aware of parts compatability as .308 rifles can't be mixed and matched as easily as their 5.56 counterparts. An example is that Armalites do not use the same magazines as others. Also, look at stainless steel barrels as they are more accurate then a chrome lined barrel. I'm sure there are a host of other things someone more knowledgable then me could provide, but I still think starting with the search button will get you some good info. The "Beyond 5.56" forum will have some info for you as well.

Lastly, if you want to buy a .308 to have a .308 that is fine, but I don't necessicarily see that you have a capability gap at the moment. If you can wait a while, I would save the money and go with an LMT MWS or LaRue OBR and know that your are getting a solid platform that will serve you well.

mtrmn
06-05-11, 09:17
I bought a used Bushmaster BAR-10 (forerunner to the present day Rock River .308's) which uses FAL mags. A2, 20" bbl. It is far more accurate than I am. Have had no issues with it other than the ambidextrous mag release is very hard to manipulate, and I don't like the detent on the charging handle in lieu of the traditional latch. Pretty heavy as well, but it's worth it. Other than these "dislikes" it has only malfunctioned once since I got it-this was due to an old FAL mag that probably saw duty in Rhodesia or somewhere judging from the paint job. I would say this .308 is my favorite firearm.

Based on what little I know of the .308's in your price range, I believe you would be well served by the Rock River or DPMS guns. I'm sure the more expensive guns are worth their money, but I'm not law enforcement/military so my life is not riding on my firearm's dependability and frankly, I just don't have the money to put $3k into a gun. In fact I buy mostly used, and have bought very few lemons in my time.

LINK74
06-05-11, 13:04
I would suggest you check out the FNAR. Meets your 308 and price range.

www.fnhusa.com

muldoon
06-16-11, 11:19
Done. :dance3: I got a AR-10T sts "16 w/Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16, and I took it out this morning. Being new to this caliber, I was unprepared for the recoil. However, all my other firearms felt like pea-shooters in comparison. The gun is definately better then I am. It ended up w/1" groups @ 100 yds. It likes Federal Gold 168 gr. Match .308. I'm happy and hoping to take up hunting VERY soon! :D

a1fabweld
06-18-11, 09:19
Get a 20"+ stainless or non chrome lined barrel if you're going to use it for hunting at 500yds.

rojocorsa
07-17-11, 03:44
I would suggest you check out the FNAR. Meets your 308 and price range.

www.fnhusa.com

Isn't this the rifle with the $60 mags, and that needs to be sent to FN whenever it needs work done?

Merc8541
07-18-11, 16:34
Do it .... Dive in! You wont regret it! I love my MA-10 ;) If you build it you can get closer to the $$$ mark you have set.

ryr8828
07-18-11, 16:58
Isn't this the rifle with the $60 mags, and that needs to be sent to FN whenever it needs work done?

That's the one. I sold mine because I was scared to take it apart.

Travis B
07-19-11, 00:37
Done. :dance3: I got a AR-10T sts "16 w/Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16, and I took it out this morning. Being new to this caliber, I was unprepared for the recoil. However, all my other firearms felt like pea-shooters in comparison. The gun is definately better then I am. It ended up w/1" groups @ 100 yds. It likes Federal Gold 168 gr. Match .308. I'm happy and hoping to take up hunting VERY soon! :D

You were unprepared for the recoil but still shot subMOA? :rolleyes: