PDA

View Full Version : Hensoldt magnifier reticle? How is it used?

control_z
05-29-11, 16:25
Last night I was able to track down a Hensoldt magnifier in a LT-649. Its not a LaRue PoBoy special, so it still has the "tank killer" reticle in place. I want to give the reticle a try before I decide to remove it or not. I'm leaning towards not, both for the practicality of keeping the optic purged and the novelty of having a rocket launcher optic. So out of curiosity, I'd like to know how are the range estimating markings properly used, maybe they can prove to have some practical range finding application.

I don't have the magnifier in my hands yet so I pulled these images from another forum and the CTD site.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj265/Recluse76/IMAG0056.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj265/Recluse76/SCP-097_A.jpg

Singlestack Wonder
05-29-11, 19:40
The ranging reticle probably will not work with an AR unless you are shooting Sabot or HE tank rounds. :D

control_z
05-29-11, 19:52
:haha: this guy.

But seriously, how are they use? I assume the lines on the left represent a specific tank model, but which one? I can do the math from there. I've search quite a bit online and haven't found anything. Maybe, I'm just not looking in the right places.

Drummer
05-29-11, 20:29
It's a rangefinder. The tanks you see each correlate to a distance in meters, ie the bigger the tank, the closer it is. The smaller it is, the further away it is and the higher you need to aim to compensate.

ucrt
05-29-11, 23:09

I think Hensoldt was Zeiss's military branch. Since Zeiss was on the half of Germany that was on our side, I'd reckon the tank sight is probably for the most popular Cold War-era Russian tank.

But I'm just geussing...

control_z
06-03-11, 21:10
It's a rangefinder. The tanks you see each correlate to a distance in meters, ie the bigger the tank, the closer it is. The smaller it is, the further away it is and the higher you need to aim to compensate.

Thanks, I figured that part out. What I wanted to know was what the approximate width in meters each silhouette represents or which tank or tanks they represent. This way I may be able to really use it as a range finder.

I think Hensoldt was Zeiss's military branch. Since Zeiss was on the half of Germany that was on out side, I'd reckon the tank sight is probably for the most popular Cold War-era Russian tank.

But I'm just geussing...

This is exactly what I was guessing, but which one is that? Guess it'll be fun to google up. I was just hoping some cold war armor buff would know off the bat, or some one who had first hand experience with the launcher.

cymax
02-15-12, 11:40
ok i am waking up this tread again because i am just about to do the same mod.

from my understanding a t72 tank is 2.2 meters high... so from my understanding.. if u range a human shape and the head come up to about the mid level of were the tank tower would be on the range finder
then you should be able to get and distance...