PDA

View Full Version : Brownell's - a good manufacturer

Fighter13B
05-30-11, 10:40
I have been searching Brownell's site for parts to possibly build an AR. I have been and plan on doing ALOT of research and consulting professionals before getting really involved. Brownell's offers many parts and parts kits that list "Brownells" as the manufacturer. Is this a good manufacturer to buy parts from? I have alot of respect for the almost infinite knowledge and experience available on this forum and I look forward to any possible advice in this endeavor. Thanks
P.S. I see they are a sponsor of M4C. Noted;)

ucrt
05-30-11, 10:55

Personally, for parts, I'd stick with a known maker's quality parts. DPMS makes a lot of parts that other makers put their name on, so if you are wanting top tier stuff, buy ID'd top tier stuff. For lower parts, check Grant out at G&R.

Plus, I've seen Brownell's put their name on some stuff that is cheap junk barely passable as functional. I think overall, though, they have a good reputation.

But maybe it's just me...

maximus83
05-30-11, 14:47

Personally, for parts, I'd stick with a known maker's quality parts. DPMS makes a lot of parts that other makers put their name on, so if you are wanting top tier stuff, buy ID'd top tier stuff. For lower parts, check Grant out at G&R.

Plus, I've seen Brownell's put their name on some stuff that is cheap junk barely passable as functional. I think overall, though, they have a good reputation.

But maybe it's just me...

I agree with ucrt. In general I think of Brownells as a quality company that tries to provide good quality and in my experience provides good service. Some of the tools and 1911 parts they offer are very good quality.

However, when it comes to the AR-15 platform, it has struck me that Brownells doesn't have the kind of expertise that one would consistently find among experienced users on a forum like this one. Their "forte" is not in selling fighting-quality AR-15 rifles. Instead, they have kind of a mix-n-match, build your own sort of mentality, and they carry a mix of brands and quality. As evidence of this, look at their AR15 builder tool (http://www.ar15builder.com/). Most of the brands of uppers and lowers they carry are not all that highly thought of here. When you get into accessories and smaller parts, they'll carry a wide mix of quality from poor to excellent, but you'd really have to know what you're looking for. For AR parts, you're much better off shopping at a place like G&R Tactical that specializes in the AR, where you know that pretty much anything they offer is going to be decent quality.

Bottom line I like Brownells in general for all-purpose shooting related tools and accessories, and SOME kinds of parts (1911 is a good example), but for AR-specific stuff I'd avoid Brownells.

GP100
05-30-11, 21:10
I picked up a stripped Spike's lower from Brownell's for a decent price. I'll probably catch some shit here for the colored selector markings but at least it doesn't have a big red spider or zombie on it...

sgtjosh
05-31-11, 00:12
I bought my buffer tube assembly kit from Brownells. They branded it as theirs. The buffer tube ended up marked as Vltor. Sounded like a good deal to me.