PDA

View Full Version : rifle purchase advice

RCiantar
05-30-11, 11:36
hey guys, i am new to the forum and new to the ar-15 platform all together. i have decided in purchasing a rifle in july with about a 2k budget or slightly more. i have been trying to do as much research as possible but like i mentioned i am very green in the ar-15 area. my issue is that i can get a "mediocre" quality rifle with all the goodies, or basically get a noveske, la rue, POF, KAC type with no goodies (optic, slings, carry case, grips etc). i was looking in this company here and this rifle

http://www.tacticalweaponssolutions.com/tws-rifles/tws-15-rifles.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=75&category_id=24

i would throw the eotech on there as well for an additional $409 which wold bring me up to a little under 2k after shipping to my FLL. i like the idea of the lifetime warranty for original parts, and the additional goodies that come with the gun. however, i am somewhat skeptical on the quality of the parts. TWS is a relatively new company, so there isn't a ton of reviews on them, but they seem to use "mil-spec" quality parts. or like i said earlier, i can just shoot straight for the noveske-caliber rifles and add optics and such later. i plan on using this rifle for mild range use, and home defense or when/if sh!t hits the fan and i have to take my family out and survive in the wilderness. i am very new to rifles, and would appreciate any advice i could get as i continue to educate myself on my upcoming purchase.

Terlingueno
05-30-11, 11:39
If it were me, I would buy a Colt 6920 and a couple of cases of ammunition. Shoot the rifle bone stock until you determine whether or not you need to add anything to it.

FSTRN
05-30-11, 11:51
My strong recommendation to you is to 1) forget everything you think you want in this platform, 2) read. Read this forum every day. Read all the stickies. Yes, all of them.
Do this until July and see if your objectives don't change. You will have a much more satisfying experience if you take this approach.

arizonaranchman
05-30-11, 12:04
I agree. Study this site extensively before you buy anything. You'll quickly learn what's a high quality AR-15 vs junk or mediocre. The difference in prices of these is not all the much, but if you don't know what you're buying you'll end up finding later on that you got some half-assed quality gear and be out to replace it with good equipment. If you do your homework here first you'll avoid all that and get it done right the first time around.

Keep your first rifle very very simple. A good RDS sight, a back-up iron sight and a simple 2-point sling... Period. Shoot the hell out of it and you'll find all the other stuff is just bells and whistles for 99% of shooters.

My strong recommendation to you is to 1) forget everything you think you want in this platform, 2) read. Read this forum every day. Read all the stickies. Yes, all of them.
Do this until July and see if your objectives don't change. You will have a much more satisfying experience if you take this approach.

SteveL
05-30-11, 12:08
I'm not suggesting you don't read the informative sticky threads on this site, but after reading this thread and watching the associated video it's hard not to recommend a Daniel Defense M4 and Aimpoint.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81485

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

RCiantar
05-30-11, 12:17
Good advice dudes. Just curious on what some of you think of that tws gun I linked?

double-d
05-30-11, 12:25
If it were me, I would buy a Colt 6920 and a couple of cases of ammunition. Shoot the rifle bone stock until you determine whether or not you need to add anything to it.

^ this ^ Great way to get your feet wet, always able to outfit weapon as desired in the future. Can't help you on the TWS.
DD

polymorpheous
05-30-11, 12:31
TWS?Who?

Mil-spec manufacturer? Who?

I'd pass.

Personally, I'd like to start seeing more 1st time posters chime in with:
"I've been reading on this site for a few months and based on what I've learned I bought XYZ."

As opposed to :
"I want to buy an AR and I know that Colt, BCM, and DD makes good rifles. But what do you all think of XYZ?"

It reeks of a troll account.

MistWolf
05-30-11, 13:02
Good advice dudes. Just curious on what some of you think of that tws gun I linked?

$1400 for a rifle with a no name scope? Specifications specifying nothing? A "Green Laser & Flashlight"??

No

RCiantar
05-30-11, 13:12
G
$1400 for a rifle with a no name scope? Specifications specifying nothing? A "Green Laser & Flashlight"??

No

thats what I was thinking as well but since I am somewhat of a novice I was interested in receiving input from others. Pof 415 has been my number one choice for a while now but I am certainly open for suggestions.

polymorpheous
05-30-11, 13:20
G

thats what I was thinking as well but since I am somewhat of a novice I was interested in receiving input from others. Pof 415 has been my number one choice for a while now but I am certainly open for suggestions.

My humble suggestion is to read every tacked thread at the top of the AR sub-forums before you buy anything.

A good one to start with is this one:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

Iraqgunz
05-30-11, 13:47
Aside from the fact that there is a metric shitload of information already posted, I would go with a basic set up DD,Colt, BCM or even Noveske and once you have a grasp of it and learn what works and what doesn't then you can add to your AR and bring it up to speed.