PDA

View Full Version : MOA Dot Size?

mtclay
10-13-07, 15:42
Now that I have a Colt 6920 on the way I want to add an optical sight.

I'm considering both the EoTech 512 and the Aimpoint ML3. After reading a couple of recent threads I'm leaning toward the Aimpoint.

My question: 2MOA or 4MOA dot?

My gut feel tells me that I might be happier with the 2MOA dot for a finer, more precise, aiming solution, but I thought I should ask the experts.

Which size do you guys prefer and why?

Intended uses include home defense, getting started in 3 Gun at my local club, plinking, range work, and probably terminating the occasional ground hog, coyote, and maybe a wild pig.

Thanks,
Mike

Dave L.
10-13-07, 15:56
I have the 4moa, but wish I would have gotten the 2moa...just my $.02

C4IGrant
10-13-07, 15:57
Now that I have a Colt 6920 on the way I want to add an optical sight.

I'm considering both the EoTech 512 and the Aimpoint ML3. After reading a couple of recent threads I'm leaning toward the Aimpoint.

My question: 2MOA or 4MOA dot?

My gut feel tells me that I might be happier with the 2MOA dot for a finer, more precise, aiming solution, but I thought I should ask the experts.

Which size do you guys prefer and why?

Intended uses include home defense, getting started in 3 Gun at my local club, plinking, range work, and probably terminating the occasional ground hog, coyote, and maybe a wild pig.

Thanks,
Mike

2MOA. You can make a 2MOA dot a 4MOA, but can not go the other way.

C4

Dave L.
10-13-07, 16:01
2MOA. You can make a 2MOA dot a 4MOA, but can not go the other way.

C4

Question Answered! (But how does that work?)

C4IGrant
10-13-07, 17:24
Question Answered! (But how does that work?)

You just turn up the intensity off the dot and make it bloom.

C4

nationwide
10-13-07, 20:33
I have a ML2 4moa and find it to be very nice for CQB distances...

Namely from the bedroom to the front door. ;)

Harv
10-15-07, 17:01
I am a big fan of the 4MOA.. The red dot sights were originally designed for Close quarter and not for long range.. Since I can consistently hit Minute of Man at 300 yds with a 4MOA I have no reason to go smaller.

Yes I know you can bloom up a 2 MOA to a 4MOA, but it's still not going to be as big and bright and easy to aquire under stress at Bad breath distances, where if I need to use my Carbine, that is the most likely range scenario I would need it for.

I like 4 MOA because I beleive it is the right tool for the right job to meet my requirments. If I need to hit a target further then 300yards, I am pretty sure I have enough skill set that I can hit my mark after a few ranging rounds... and if it's farther then that..I'm not really using the right tool for it any how..

For me it's a Close in weapons system and not a long range target gun and the 4MOA works good for that.

I want a big old "Dot of Death" that I can superimpose onto a target as fast as possible and make good solid hits in a 8" Circle at 25yds.

I would like to see how popular the EOTech reticle would be if you took away the 65MOA aiming circle and just left that 1MOA dot... my guess is not very.. and the reason why.. cause guys like to use the 65MOA circle on a man size taget at close in ranges as it's faster to get on target.. just like a big old 4MOA dot.....;) That's a clue

mactastic
10-20-07, 18:50
I personally like the 2MOA dots

You can be more precise if you want to at further distances (lets say 100-150).

And IMO target acquisition does not suffer with the slightly smaller dot at shorter distances.

Minute of Man at 300 is not good enough for me. I'd rather have a surface area of 6 inches covered than a whopping 12 inches.

And that is part of the reason why so many like the Eotech's. you have that nice 1MOA dot to be precise, and the big ring if you dig on that too.

abnk
10-21-07, 01:39
I am a big fan of the 4MOA.. The red dot sights were originally designed for Close quarter and not for long range.. Since I can consistently hit Minute of Man at 300 yds with a 4MOA I have no reason to go smaller.

Yes I know you can bloom up a 2 MOA to a 4MOA, but it's still not going to be as big and bright and easy to aquire under stress at Bad breath distances, where if I need to use my Carbine, that is the most likely range scenario I would need it for.

I like 4 MOA because I beleive it is the right tool for the right job to meet my requirments. If I need to hit a target further then 300yards, I am pretty sure I have enough skill set that I can hit my mark after a few ranging rounds... and if it's farther then that..I'm not really using the right tool for it any how..

For me it's a Close in weapons system and not a long range target gun and the 4MOA works good for that.

I want a big old "Dot of Death" that I can superimpose onto a target as fast as possible and make good solid hits in a 8" Circle at 25yds.

I would like to see how popular the EOTech reticle would be if you took away the 65MOA aiming circle and just left that 1MOA dot... my guess is not very.. and the reason why.. cause guys like to use the 65MOA circle on a man size taget at close in ranges as it's faster to get on target.. just like a big old 4MOA dot.....;) That's a clue

I'm with Harv here. In an EAG class I used someone else's carbine with an Aimpoint for a couple of relays. After having used EOTech for years and being accustomed to using the 65 MOA circle at CQB distances, my performance with the Aimpoint suffered. I found the dot too small compared to what my eye was used to looking for (I'm sure with more time I would have adjusted). Assuming that I was using a 2 MOA dot, in between relays, I thought that when I buy an Aimpoint, it will definitely have a 4 MOA dot because the one I'm using is too small. Well, before I returned the carbine, I saw that the Aimpoint I had just used was in fact a 4 MOA dot.

My point is that if you have not used an Aimpoint before, you would probably be surprised to see that the 4 MOA dot is not as big as it may sound. I won't repeat what Harv already stated, but since your primary need is for home defense, the longest distance you may be dealing with will probably be about ten yards (unless you have a mansion), in which the dot will cover an area of .4 inches on the target.