PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92FS or Beretta M9...?

CobraBG
05-30-11, 17:34
I currently have a Beretta 92FS made in 1994. I bought it new and have had no issues though it has had less than 1000 rounds through it (I like my .45's better). I have an opportunity to sell it to a friend for a good price and may get the new M9 instead. When done I would be out a little less than $200.

Which is a better gun? Are there really any differences between them? Thanks in advance.

M4Guru
05-30-11, 17:38
A new M9 isn't worth $200 more than an older 92FS. You would be throwing money away in my opinion, for the same gun.

F-Trooper05
05-30-11, 17:41
An older 92FS with less than 1K round count is a keeper.

AuProspector
05-30-11, 17:50
An older 92FS with less than 1K round count is a keeper.

Plus 2.

Cobra66
05-30-11, 17:52
Other than markings and possibly sights, an older (pre 2000) 92FS is no different than an M9. Newer 92FS pistols (after about 2000) have a radiused backstrap which IMHO makes the pistol a little nicer.

Unless you have a hard-on for a gun that says M9 on it, you won't be doing yourself any favor getting rid of your current pistol. If you are going to go to an M9, then upgrade to the M9A1 which will give you a better frame, backstrap, and 1913 rail.

Nephrology
05-30-11, 18:38
If your reason to spend nearly 200 bucks is to have the nearly same gun with a different rollmark then sure...?

CobraBG
05-30-11, 18:57
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I would be making a mistake. Are the older (1994) 92FS Beretta's actually better made than the M9? Military contracts... mass production...

My friend knows more about Beretta's than I do, maybe that's why he is so anxious to buy it.

Nephrology
05-30-11, 19:16
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I would be making a mistake. Are the older (1994) 92FS Beretta's actually better made than the M9? Military contracts... mass production...

My friend knows more about Beretta's than I do, maybe that's why he is so anxious to buy it.

What was he going to pay for it?

Cobra66
05-30-11, 19:23

No. There are a lot of gun store rumors about this, but there is no evidence that there is any difference in quality between the basic 92FS and the M9s from the same era. All these pistols are being mass produced. Recently, American made 92s have been hard to find as the US factory has been busy fulfilling military contracts. Most 92s on sale today are Italian guns which again, despite gun store lore, are no better/worse than the US pistols. As stated, modern 92FS pistols have some advantages over current production M9s but again, no difference in quality. The "advantage" that your 92FS might have in his eyes is that was made before the plastic parts started to make their way into the pistols. I actually believe that the plastic parts are an improvement or at the very least, no worse.

Your pistol is a good gun and for all intents, still brand new. It is every bit the equal to any M9.

CobraBG
05-30-11, 19:50
What was he going to pay for it?

We have talked about $450, but I've told him I'm not sure if I would want more. Now with this feedback I'm not sure about selling it even if he offered more.

Nephrology
05-30-11, 20:04
We have talked about $450, but I've told him I'm not sure if I would want more. Now with this feedback I'm not sure about selling it even if he offered more.

Yeah don't sell it.

CobraBG
05-30-11, 20:17
No. There are a lot of gun store rumors about this, but there is no evidence that there is any difference in quality between the basic 92FS and the M9s from the same era. All these pistols are being mass produced. Recently, American made 92s have been hard to find as the US factory has been busy fulfilling military contracts. Most 92s on sale today are Italian guns which again, despite gun store lore, are no better/worse than the US pistols. As stated, modern 92FS pistols have some advantages over current production M9s but again, no difference in quality. The "advantage" that your 92FS might have in his eyes is that was made before the plastic parts started to make their way into the pistols. I actually believe that the plastic parts are an improvement or at the very least, no worse.

Your pistol is a good gun and for all intents, still brand new. It is every bit the equal to any M9.

I am curious as to what parts have been changed to plastic? I know mine was made in Maryland.

HaydenB
05-30-11, 20:28
You've had it since '94 and you only have 1000 rounds down the pipe? You obviously don't enjoy shooting Berettas.

Here is my advice.

1. Take your Beretta 92FS.
2. Sell it.
3. To your local gun shop.
4. Buy a Glock 17.

That is all. :D

Timbonez
05-30-11, 20:32
I am curious as to what parts have been changed to plastic? I know mine was made in Maryland.

The guide rod is now plastic instead of metal. It doesn't appear to have suffered any ill effects because of this change. The trigger and safety levers are a metal "skeleton" with a polymer coating... again a non-issue. I can't remember where I saw it (it might have even been this forum) where someone removed the polymer from their trigger with some sort of abrasive and took a picture of the metal remaining. It was kind of interesting. The lanyard loop, which retains the hammer spring in the frame, is also plastic.

ETA: Since yours was made in '94, it will have metal parts.

Cobra66
05-30-11, 20:35

The trigger is now plastic coated (similar to the HK), the mag release, the decock/safety lever, and the recoil spring guide rod are the big ones I remember off the top of my head. The guide rod is in my mind an improvement as it now has a cruciform cross section which allows sand and other debris to channel around the rod instead of gumming it up.

Your gun being a 1994 gun however, is all metal. The plastic parts started showing up in the early 21st century.

CobraBG
05-30-11, 21:48
You've had it since '94 and you only have 1000 rounds down the pipe? You obviously don't enjoy shooting Berettas.

Here is my advice.

1. Take your Beretta 92FS.
2. Sell it.
3. To your local gun shop.
4. Buy a Glock 17.

That is all. :D

:D I actually have enjoyed shooting it. It was "forgotten" for many years and I've just recently been shooting it some. I already have 2 Glocks, though both are .45's, a 30SF and a 21SF.

Timbonez and Cobra66... thanks for the clarification on the plastic parts.