PDA

View Full Version : remington 7mm magnum

fenster
05-30-11, 19:56
hello all, this is my first post. I searched and could not find any info here about a Remington 710 7mm magnum, I apologize if it has been done before. If it has can you kindly direct me to that information?
Ok here is my problem/issue: I have tried unsuccessfully to zero this weapon. Before I went to the range I bore sighted it, it gives me a good idea of where to start. At the range I started at 100 yards and could not hit paper so I moved to 50 yards and I had slightly better luck. My shots were all over but I decided to go back to 100 yards. I may have gotten 3 out of 10 shots on paper. At this point, and it was a slow coming point, I figured it was the scope. I bought I better scope and headed back to the range... still all over the paper. I understand many things could be contributing factors, even I could be. Though I doubt it, sub MOA with my 700 .308 and 1.25 MOA with my 5.56. Is this just a P.O.S. rifle? or is there something, within reason, that can be done to get this rifle consistent?

lethal dose
05-30-11, 20:04
What kind of glass are you running? Have you inspected the chamber, bore, and crown for imperfections? Are you shooting bagged?

ucrt
05-30-11, 20:28
....Is this just a P.O.S. rifle? or is there something, within reason, that can be done to get this rifle consistent?

=========================================

When it is all said and done...I think your statement pretty much sums it up?

In my experience, the 710 (or 770) is a barely adequate rifle to begin with, then you have a powerful and tempermental cartridge, with an unknown scope & mounting system. All of which need to be working in unison to get the most out of the 7mm Mag.

Personally, if you're set on a 7mm Mag, get a 700 with good solid rings and mount and a real good scope.

But maybe it's just me...

fenster
05-30-11, 20:36
Essentially a better stock, better rings and glass? I will be honest it was my first high powered rifle, so I kinda cheaped out on the rings and glass. It has been on a shelf for a few years. Looks like the pennies will saved counted and cashed in for top of the line equipment. Thank you for your input as always any other ideas, thoughts or personal experience is welcome.