PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat TTU Problem

Wolfman4466
05-30-11, 21:31
Has anyone had had an issue with this trigger unit?

I installed one a few months ago and fell in love with it. No take up breaks clean twitch your finger and it resets.

But shooting it the other day it started failing to lock the hammer when cycling. It would reset fine with the charging handle but not when the gun cycled the bolt.

Inspected all parts, cleaned and lubed same issue. Reinstalled mil-spec trigger and gun functions perfect.

E-mailed Wilson and hoping to hear from them soon.

Any input would be helpful.

DiabhailGadhar
05-30-11, 21:40
I installed one on my first build and thus far have zero faults...but regretfully I'm only at a couple hundred rounds in. I did hammer on it to see what would break right after install. Sorry I'm not much help but I am interested to see what happens..

SWATcop556
05-30-11, 21:41
Per our rules You need to give Wilson a chance to respond and fix the product. Send me a PM when you hear back from Wilson and I'll unlock this.

SWATcop556
06-07-11, 14:46
Unlocked. OP has updated information.

Wolfman4466
06-07-11, 16:22
Update: I contacted Wilson Combat the morning after I made my first post. The Rep I talked with told me to send it in and they would check it out and fix or replace it.

In exactly a week the UPS man delivered my brand new replacement trigger unit. Problem is the replacement is screwed up too. I installed it in the lower and did a function check and the trigger "Safety Locked" after I cycled the bolt. Pulled it out of the lower and found the hammer spring had slipped off the pin. Upon closer inspection I found that a pin was installed backwards. (see red arrows) there is a notch in one end of the pin for the spring to ride in and a large head on the other. Ya know I understand no company is perfect but come on two triggers two failures different issues. These aren't DVD players were talking about these are personal protection gun parts we may have to trust our life to.

I picked this trigger over others because it was a Wilson. I wanted the best from a company I could trust. If I had bought an el cheapo trigger from Joe's Triggers from an ad in the back of Shotgun News, I would not be that upset. But there is no reason for a company like Wilson to let problems like this out the door. They should have checked the second trigger before it was sent out. If someone was having an issue with one model of their triggers, they should have been rechecking them all, IMHO, until they figured out what the problem was and corrected it.

Called Wilson's and they are sending a replacement for the replacement. Problem is I don't know if I even want it. I'm to the point now that I'm unsure that I can trust any Wilson's TTU.

What are the rest of you guys running? I think I'm going to take the replacements replacement to the gun show and see if I can trade it off for either a Timney or a Geissele.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3zs5i7NsX0U/Te0Y1Ln1Z_I/AAAAAAAAAhI/u43EkIop28s/s912/DSCN0499.JPG

ccoker
06-07-11, 16:35
you are the first person I have heard of with an issue

I have been running the single stage TTU on my 6.8 for almost 2 years with lots of rounds fired.

Sucks but I think you just got REAL unlucky..

DiabhailGadhar
06-07-11, 17:03
Yeah the reason I went with one is that some one had done a test and put 10k rounds on one trigger group and had no trigger related malfunctions. I completely understand though..I'd be pissed too. How many rounds did you put through the first one before it failed? For what it's worth Wilson Combat isn't exactly known for making shit product. But sometimes accidents do happen...I wish you the best of luck with it and hopefully the third time round will be a charm..

Wolfman4466
06-07-11, 18:15
Yeah the reason I went with one is that some one had done a test and put 10k rounds on one trigger group and had no trigger related malfunctions. I completely understand though..I'd be pissed too. How many rounds did you put through the first one before it failed? For what it's worth Wilson Combat isn't exactly known for making shit product. But sometimes accidents do happen...I wish you the best of luck with it and hopefully the third time round will be a charm..

Like I said in my first post I absolutely loved the trigger when I first installed it. It is comparable to the one in my bolt gun. Crisp clean break, no take-up, re-set with a twitch of the finger. I shoot a lot at 200m and this trigger was perfect for that. But after only a couple hundred rounds the first one failed. And now the replacement came assembled wrong. I want to give the next one a chance but I also need to be able to trust my gun to save my life if need be. I just cant believe my luck is so bad that I'm the only one to ever have a problem with a TTU.

mikeahe
06-07-11, 19:20
Tell us about your gun, upper, lower, BCG.

Wolfman4466
06-07-11, 20:03
Tell us about your gun, upper, lower, BCG.

Flat top Upper and Lower are Double star, BCG is FailZero, Barrel is 1x8 cold rolled 16" chromemoly match barrel, YHM Free float Quad rail, YHM Phantom FS, Magpul UBR, Houge Grip, BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle.

bo-hoss
06-08-11, 09:31
We have installed/used around 20 Wilson Combat TTU -3G triggers with 0 issues. In my opinion and for our purposes, the Wilson Combat TTU has no equal.

Suggestion:
QC every part you purchase to the best of your abilities,before you install it. The extra time spent on the QC is well worth the effort if your life may be dependant on your gun functioning properly.

kwelz
06-08-11, 09:59
Not having the parts in hand it is hard to tell. But I can tell you this, I have seen more than one Doublestar lower that was out of spec.

Wolfman4466
06-08-11, 15:38
Update: Third TTU delivered and installed today. Shooting tomorrow to test. Function check was flawless. Can't bring myself to sell the TTU I love the way the trigger breaks. Wish me luck.

BTW: I would like to say even if I haven't had much luck with My ttu's so far, the Customer service at Wilson's is TOP NOTCH!!! No BS, no games; I called and they put replacement parts in the mail. KUDOS! WC CS Rep's

og556
06-08-11, 16:01
TTU is the fastest and best trigger I have ever owned. One day I will have another one.

amac
06-08-11, 21:29
I've been running a TTU for almost a year with no problems. I've replaced my KAC 2stage match trigger with the TTU. Its a great all around unit. I use it for 3gun and have total confidence in this trigger. You will quickly learn to trust that trigger with your life!

FWIW, a couple buddies run the JP triggers. They are incredible for long range. Very light pull weight and almost no reset. If you're shooting match or precision, the JP would be a good replacement.

Best of luck.

Wolfman4466
06-11-11, 07:58
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S1ParP25VdI/TfNfJhVhxiI/AAAAAAAAAh4/afK4sdQFyhQ/IMG_20110610_141520.jpg

100m Bi-pod Prone

Hammered on the new trigger pretty good. Ran 2 mags through rapid fire. No malfunctions. Trigger was flawless. Didn't have as much time to shoot as I wanted. T-storms popping up here and there. Hope I can get back behind the scope soon. But the trigger worked PERFECT. I think I have a winner this time.

Thanks for all the input and for letting me vent

DiabhailGadhar
06-11-11, 08:25
Sweet now drop your elevation a click so we can stay friends...:D

Stickman
06-11-11, 12:07
Yeah the reason I went with one is that some one had done a test and put 10k rounds on one trigger group and had no trigger related malfunctions.

That was me, and no TTU that I have used or loaned out has experienced problems to this date.

DiabhailGadhar
06-11-11, 13:27
Well I thought I'd read that in the military times so that makes sense. Let me say thanks for writing that because that was the main reason I went with the TTU and let me tell you that was money well spent...:D...now if I could just get some of the other crap I having laying around to be as reliable or useful. Like my dog would be a good start...:p

Miroku
05-14-12, 00:24
Has anyone had had an issue with this trigger unit?

I installed one a few months ago and fell in love with it. No take up breaks clean twitch your finger and it resets.

But shooting it the other day it started failing to lock the hammer when cycling. It would reset fine with the charging handle but not when the gun cycled the bolt.

Inspected all parts, cleaned and lubed same issue. Reinstalled mil-spec trigger and gun functions perfect.

E-mailed Wilson and hoping to hear from them soon.

Any input would be helpful.

I'm having the same problem on my Bushmaster. Driving me nuts.

polymorpheous
05-14-12, 01:13
I'm having the same problem on my Bushmaster. Driving me nuts.

Yet you are dicking around with your buffer.
:confused:

FiReBRETHa
05-14-12, 09:37
couple k so far and no issues with it at all.

Are you using normal pins or KNS anti rotate?