PDA

View Full Version : Ladies load out recommendations

yellowfin
05-31-11, 09:39
I have a question for the lady folks here. I'm working on putting together a molle set for my wife as birthday present. Looking at something simple enough yet useful for all sorts of purposes such as hiking, walking, biking, travel, fishing, etc. as well as at the range. She's 5'3", somewhat stocky, so I figured a belt would do a bit better for her than a chest rig. So far I have for her a Blackhawk Strike belt, a water bottle pouch, shingles for AR mags, and a first aid pouch, and am thinking of adding a phone pouch and maybe another miscellaneous stuff pouch for a rain jacket and such. What do you like on your gear hauling setup, and what type system do you have that works well for you? What would you recommend adding to this?

Boy Scout
05-31-11, 11:55
Sounds like your on the right path. I'd venture to guess nothing too "tacti-cool" (unless she's into that sort of thing.) You might do a good butt-pack like a Maxped Sabercat or a SOB from Spec-Ops Gear for large stowage of jackets, foot, etc. If it's going to be a strict training/trailblazing rig, maybe and nice field knife...?

Pax
05-31-11, 12:16
Avoid Blackhawk equipment unless there is NO other option for some reason. For about $10 more you could have an ATS War Belt or MM-Emdom CM Belt, both better options in my opinion.

SKD seems to have MM-Emdom CM Belts in stock, which is rare. Jump on them if you're interested:

http://www.skdtac.com/Emdom_MM_CM_Belt_p/e2m.105.htm

They also carry the ATS War Belt. Better belt systems can be had if you are willing to save up but I bet these would be more than sufficient for your lady. I doubt she'll be putting it through too much extreme use.

Pouches are a matter of personal preference. Shingles sound fine, pretty hard to go wrong there. Search around SKD for their medical pouches, anything they carry is good to go. Look into a small general purpose pouch, SKD carries a few Maxpedition small tactile pouches that Ive used and like all else Maxpedition, theyre rugged as hell. Great for little stuff you never considered when planning the rig.

Failure2Stop
05-31-11, 15:07
In my experience, women in general prefer a bag of some type over a chest-rig or belt. There are always exceptions, but you might want to show her some of the simple bag systems and get her involved in the process. I don't know if you have heard, but women in general like shopping.

mrbieler
05-31-11, 15:39
Agree with the above. I think you'll be way more successful involving her in the selection and guiding choices rather then dictating them.

kmrtnsn
05-31-11, 15:53
My wife read your post and said, "a water bottle, rain jacket and a phone on my belt, where the **** am I going, bird watching? Get her a bailout bag".

ALAG5497
05-31-11, 22:09
In my experience, women in general prefer a bag of some type over a chest-rig or belt. There are always exceptions, but you might want to show her some of the simple bag systems and get her involved in the process. I don't know if you have heard, but women in general like shopping.

I'm in complete agreement with using a bag (or several, set up for specific activities) versus a chest-rig or belt.

The biggest problem with the "everything" or "batbelt" set up is that most women do not have enough real estate on their waistlines to hold all, or even sufficient number of the desired pouches and equipment for the intended activity, much less for a variety of activities. Not only that, but your wife's petitness at 5'3" only magnifies this problem. The Blackhawk Strike Belt looks huge and might cover half her torso, so mobility may be an issue once all those pouches are attached. In general, a belt is very limiting and always presents dilemmas where your wife would be forced to eliminate something or compromise...

Should I carry 2 pistol mag pouches and one rifle mag pouch? Or 3 pistol mag pouches, a twinkie, a twinkie, cupcake? ;) Now where can I put the med kit?

Should I carry the tiny maglite so I can have 3 pistol mags? Or the nicer, brighter Surefire - but its holster takes up so much space!

The Otterbox iPhone holster, or the 2-way radio? Or the camera?!

Not to mention, all this nice gear is F-ING heavy, and your wife is sure to develop lower back and hip problems.

Just like the others, I strongly recommend a BAG set up. If your heart is set on Blackhawk, try the Battle Bag. The "active shooter" types of bags are generally a good, manageable size for what you seem to be looking for. It's not covered in molle, so it is more discreet, but has velcro panels for holsters, pouches, etc. I've successfully taken it on hikes and it's worked out well, ergonomically and it organized everything I wanted to bring. It's also a great carry-on bag - small enough to fit under the seat, but big enough to carry books, magazines, Kindle/iPad, netbook... Maxpedition has a lot of bags that have different carry options (waist, shoulder, backpack) and all the molle allows customization and accessorizing to your heart's content. Add a pouch for a Nalgene bottle, or go big and get a Camelbak reservoir-enabled bag. Did someone mention the SHOPPING involved in this undertaking? She'll love it.

Over time, set a couple of bags up for different purposes, and save the belt or chest rig set ups for firearms training.

titsonritz
06-01-11, 11:29
O.S.O.E. Micro Rig set up as a shoulder bag. I use one this way myself and it rocks.

yellowfin
06-01-11, 12:01
The biggest problem with the "everything" or "batbelt" set up is that most women do not have enough real estate on their waistlines to hold all, or even sufficient number of the desired pouches and equipment for the intended activity, much less for a variety of activities. Not only that, but your wife's petitness at 5'3" only magnifies this problem. Sadly, for my wife this is not a problem. I REALLY wish it was. She's got much more real estate on the waistline than I have. :( I'm hoping the extra exercise involved with all the many outdoor uses of this gear will reduce the waist size, for her health and my improved well being.

Just like the others, I strongly recommend a BAG set up. If your heart is set on Blackhawk, try the Battle Bag. The "active shooter" types of bags are generally a good, manageable size for what you seem to be looking for. It's not covered in molle, so it is more discreet, but has velcro panels for holsters, pouches, etc. I've successfully taken it on hikes and it's worked out well, ergonomically and it organized everything I wanted to bring. It's also a great carry-on bag - small enough to fit under the seat, but big enough to carry books, magazines, Kindle/iPad, netbook... Maxpedition has a lot of bags that have different carry options (waist, shoulder, backpack) and all the molle allows customization and accessorizing to your heart's content. Add a pouch for a Nalgene bottle, or go big and get a Camelbak reservoir-enabled bag. Did someone mention the SHOPPING involved in this undertaking? She'll love it.

Over time, set a couple of bags up for different purposes, and save the belt or chest rig set ups for firearms training.I'll likely do the bag too, since everyone recommends it so highly. Completely agree on the benefits of shopping for tactical gear, VERY much looking forward to that, just needed to prime the pump.

Gargoyle
06-03-11, 15:18
TAG for ideas for my gal too!

ALAG5497
06-03-11, 19:02
Sadly, for my wife this is not a problem. I REALLY wish it was. She's got much more real estate on the waistline than I have. :( I'm hoping the extra exercise involved with all the many outdoor uses of this gear will reduce the waist size, for her health and my improved well being.

Always be an optimist where this is concerned!

This is also a reason to go with a bag.

Bag = one size no matter what your body type. Belt = an unwelcome visual reminder of how big one's waist is.

misanthropist
06-03-11, 20:07
Interesting direction the thread has taken...I was going to comment that sadly a lot of women actually have plenty of real estate on a belt.

Further to that, I think the unpleasant reminder of one's waist size is actually something more people need more often.

However, rather than simply being flippant, I have a related, actual contribution on this line of thinking:

While I believe more people need more reminders of their waist size, if that is in fact an issue for any given woman, my opinion is that giving them a belt which emphasizes this feature, like a battle belt with a ton of gear on it, is likely to result in the woman in question avoiding its use.

I know my wife avoids public participation in any activity which requires an unflattering appearance. Tennis = little skirts and dainty shoes = happy to do it all the time, even though she doesn't care about tennis at all. Hockey (which, being a German raised in Canada, married to a long-time player she loves with truly nordic fanatacism) = all over padding = shapeless appearance = would rather die than be seen in the gear. Specifically, she would rather take pucks to the chest or go hips down on the ice in jeans than wear the appropriate padding.

So do not underestimate the effect of unflattering gear on a woman's willingness to participate. Adding six inches to a woman's beltline or hips is a losing proposition if you ask me.

I would also vote "purchase a bag of some kind".

usmcvet
06-03-11, 22:08
I second the go bag. I wear a duty belt all day and its uncomfortable. It is probably even worse for ladies. I use Eagle patrol bandoleers myself but it sounds like you new more space for more gear.

yellowfin
06-05-11, 13:54
OK, so the belt might have to be de-emphasized and I'll need a bag or backpack that all these pouches can go on as an alternative...good thing I still have a little over two weeks till her B-day.

usmcvet
06-05-11, 15:05
A bug out bag like these LaRue is selling would work. There

are lots of other options too. I've always. Den interested in the Versa Packs.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=169

http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_Escape_Evasion_Bag_LE_p/eag.554.htm

I thought the Eagle Courier Bag was a great concept too.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=16216

ALAG5497
06-05-11, 17:34
Further to that, I think the unpleasant reminder of one's waist size is actually something more people need more often. ".

Along the lines of, "Spandex is a priviledge, not a right?"

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=169

http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_Escape_E..._p/eag.554.htm

Sigh... only my fifth post and someone here is already spending my money! I really like both of these bags - although LaRue slightly edges out Eagle, as I am a sucker for a free can of Dillo Dust and a Tactical Beverage Entry tool! :cool:

One thing to note - the leg strap, like the one on the above LaRue bag, or any corresponding waist straps (the BH battle bag has one that can be tucked away behind a panel) on these shoulder bags are a nice feature in terms of adding comfort if you have to hike/walk/run while carrying the bag.

usmcvet
06-05-11, 18:22
Yeah you will learn a lot here. And it often ends up emptying out the checkbook. It is:D called BRD. Black Rifle Disease.

usmcvet
06-05-11, 18:25
Just a suggestion. I would not put anything critical about your wife's weight or waist size out on the net. She may run across it.

kmrtnsn
06-05-11, 18:36
Just a suggestion. I would not put anything critical about your wife's weight or waist size out on the net. She may run across it.

Good tip, and good looking out. My wife's weight and wasit size are perfect!

usmcvet
06-05-11, 18:41
Just wanna help keep my brothers safe. A few asks or months ago a member here was blasted by his wife when she bought a $700 purse. She responded quickly and to the effect of well you wouldn't use anything but the best RDS, Magazines or ammo. I'm not getting it exactly right but she had his posts down cold and threw them back at him.

docsherm
06-06-11, 08:53
My wife likes the chest rig. She has a custom EGL (Extreme Gear Labs) Hateraid Rig. The only differance form the one in the pic is theat hers has PALS on it and it Coyote Brown. She put an ATS CLP on front of it.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d827b3127ccefd1995e8030e00000030O00AcMWbZy0aOGIPbz4U/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

yellowfin
06-06-11, 09:54
An idea hit me that's cheaper than many of these bags but with the adaptability I was looking at with the belt. How about a Camelbak? I see lots of webbing on them for adding pouches and such that could total up to being about like a bag, but with immediate usefulness.

Separate but corollary matter: how long do you figure before Molle/PALS webbing becomes mainstream? It's so darn useful for just about everything and it beats the heck out of needing to buy a whole new pack every time I want something configured differently, so how long until the general public and non-military/tactical/shooting related outdoors companies catch on? So much of what we know of today came from military development that was passed on down to the public: M&M's, jeeps, airplanes, cigarettes (bad example maybe), helicopters, nylon, obviously firearms, even canned food (from Napoleon).

Lawmaker
06-13-11, 08:29
I know some women cant were chest rigs or certain packs because of breasts. How about the messenger bag? I have a messenger style medic kit that I think I might have her try on.

Boy Scout
06-13-11, 10:07
Separate but corollary matter: how long do you figure before Molle/PALS webbing becomes mainstream?

Not long...

Nike Utlimatum Jules Pack:

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472/124/4h/img.ebags.com/is/image/im5/150195_1_1?op_sharpen=1&qlt=80&hei=600&wid=600

sgtjosh
06-14-11, 01:34

She will dig it more if she has a hand in choosing the gear.

yellowfin
06-23-11, 10:01
Results report: she liked it OK, but backup presents definitely helped. Upon further clarification, elaborating that it's the occasions for its use that she enjoys (i.e. it's part of spending more quality time with her), it was more fully appreciated.

Submariner
06-24-11, 17:02
My wife likes the chest rig.

What does she like about it? And what is she trying to do with it?

edmorseiii
06-24-11, 20:27
What about something like this, http://www.kifaru.net/koala.html# ?

Not cheap, but looks real adaptable. It looks like it can be worn as a chest rig with a few mag pouches on the front, a small pack pack, a fanny pack, or a messenger bag.

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/kifaru/kifaru8.html#koala