PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO

Black Jack
05-31-11, 13:42
Aimpoint PRO

First, let me apologize if this has already been addressed. I did a search and came up with many pages of results, but none that I could fine to answer my question.
I have a new Aimpoint PRO that I have just added and have a question about the zero on it.

For a 50/200 m zero the iron sights give me a POI that is approx. 1.2” below POA. However I have never used a red dot sight before. With my sights flipped up, they are in the lower 1/3 of the Aimpoint field of view with the red dot a little above the irons (approx. in the middle of the Aimpoint field of view). This gives me POI that is currently approx. 5” below POA for the red dot. Unfortunately I do not have ready access to a 200 meter range so I am not able to “play” with it to see what it does.

Should the red dot POA be the same as the BUIS POA or should it be above them? If the red dot POA is supposed to be above the BUIS POA, then how high above POI should the POA be? If the two should have the same POA, I am assuming that having the dot in the lower 1/3 of the Aimpoint field of view is not a problem.

Unfortunately I am new to red dot sights and do not know all the “ins and outs” of their relationship to the BUIS yet.

Thanks.

C4IGrant
05-31-11, 14:24
Aimpoint PRO

For a 50/300 m zero

No such animal. There is a 50/200 though.

The iron sights give me a POI that is approx. 1.2” below POA. However I have never used a red dot sight before. With my sights flipped up, they are in the lower 1/3 of the Aimpoint field of view with the red dot a little above the irons (approx. in the middle of the Aimpoint field of view). This gives me POI that is currently approx. 5” below POA for the red dot. Unfortunately I do not have ready access to a 300 meter range so I am not able to “play” with it to see what it does.

The PRO does not give you a "TRUE" lower 1/3 co-witness. Nor doe it give you a "TRUE" absolute co-witness (somewhere in between).

Should the red dot POA be the same as the BUIS POA or should it be above them? If the red dot POA is supposed to be above the BUIS POA, then how high above POI should the POA be? If the two should have the same POA, I am assuming that having the dot in the lower 1/3 of the Aimpoint field of view is not a problem.

This is entirely up to you, but I would zero both at 50yds and then confirm zero at 200 (or more likely 190+).

So to make it easy on you, zero your irons and PRO independently from one another.

C4

Black Jack
05-31-11, 19:01
C4,
Thanks, you are right about the 50/200, not sure what I was thinking.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I only have a 100 yard range that is readily available to me. I’ll go ahead and zero them separately, as you suggested, and see what that does for me at 100 yards.

Thanks again.

pinzgauer
05-31-11, 19:07
The PRO does not give you a "TRUE" lower 1/3 co-witness. Nor doe it give you a "TRUE" absolute co-witness (somewhere in between).

How big of an issue is this?? When I dialed in a loaner EOtech (552?) it seemed to co-witness perfectly.

I had been leaning toward one of the newer EOTech's (buttons on the side), but the Pro with the integral mount is making me rethink. Looks lighter for sure.

Sure wish they had a dual reticule option, I really liked the EOTech hybrid reticule with the 1/3 MOA center dot and 65 MOA for CQB.

x-STG1
05-31-11, 20:00
C4,
Thanks, you are right about the 50/200, not sure what I was thinking.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I only have a 100 yard range that is readily available to me. I’ll go ahead and zero them separately, as you suggested, and see what that does for me at 100 yards.

Thanks again.

Here is a good thread that should help
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65679

buckjay
06-03-11, 15:51
My only question is - where did you find the PRO at? :p

I've been looking for a few days and can't seem to find them listed or in stock anywhere.

Is it a matter of availability?

theblackknight
06-03-11, 15:56
Your range is telling you something. Use a 100m zero

ComeAndTakeIt
06-04-11, 15:02

C4

Can you explain this? Is that true for the CompC3 and other non M models of Aimpoints?

Eric
06-04-11, 18:17
Can you explain this? Is that true for the CompC3 and other non M models of Aimpoints?
The height of the Aimpoint optic is a result of the mount, not the optic itself. The PRO is a 30MM tube, like the C3 (and M2, ML2, M3, ML3, etc).

sgtjosh
06-04-11, 22:32

I've been looking for a few days and can't seem to find them listed or in stock anywhere.

I ordered mine from SKDtac.com
http://www.skdtac.com/Aimpoint_PRO_Patrol_Rifle_Optic_p/aim.310.htm

However, they too appear to be out of stock.

I zeroed mine today for 50/200. Zeroed my BUIS at 100. Dot is slightly higher that front sight post.

ComeAndTakeIt
06-05-11, 22:37
The height of the Aimpoint optic is a result of the mount, not the optic itself. The PRO is a 30MM tube, like the C3 (and M2, ML2, M3, ML3, etc).

Thanks Eric. I get that much. I am just trying to figure out why Grant singled out the pro as not being able to give a true cowitness or lower 1/3, but nothing was mentioned about the mount.

C4IGrant
06-06-11, 12:51
Thanks Eric. I get that much. I am just trying to figure out why Grant singled out the pro as not being able to give a true cowitness or lower 1/3, but nothing was mentioned about the mount.

I didn't mention the mount because, well everyone knows that the mount dictates the height of the optic (or so I thought).

C4

ComeAndTakeIt
06-06-11, 12:56
I didn't mention the mount because, well everyone knows that the mount dictates the height of the optic (or so I thought).

C4

Then what did you mean by

"The PRO does not give you a "TRUE" lower 1/3 co-witness. Nor doe it give you a "TRUE" absolute co-witness (somewhere in between)."

If it's all about the mount, why did you specify the PRO as not providing a 1/3 or 'TRUE' co-witness and completely leave out the mount as part of the reasoning?

That's what I'm trying to get clarification on.

C4IGrant
06-06-11, 12:59
Then what did you mean by

"The PRO does not give you a "TRUE" lower 1/3 co-witness. Nor doe it give you a "TRUE" absolute co-witness (somewhere in between)."

If it's all about the mount, why did you specify the PRO as not providing a 1/3 or 'TRUE' co-witness and completely leave out the mount as part of the reasoning?

That's what I'm trying to get clarification on.

I meant just what I said.

The PRO comes from the factory with a mount already attached to it (package deal). So the TRUE definitions of "Absolute" and "Lower 1/3" do apply to this optic/mount combo.

With that said, I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about this.

C4

ComeAndTakeIt
06-06-11, 13:01
LOL. I'm not even close to that. I was just confused, and now that you clarified, I got it.
I didn't realize that the PRO came with its own mount. Not knowing that, is what confused me on why it didn't give you a co-witness.

Thanks.

Black Jack
06-06-11, 13:27

Sorry, I’ve been out of town without Internet access.

I got it at G&R Tactical
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

Got a decent price and had it within a week.
Right now they do seem to be out of stock.

ra2bach
06-06-11, 14:32
LOL. I'm not even close to that. I was just confused, and now that you clarified, I got it.
I didn't realize that the PRO came with its own mount. Not knowing that, is what confused me on why it didn't give you a co-witness.

Thanks.

that's what makes the PRO such as spectacular deal - you get the optic, a QRP2 mount (heavy but very practical) and flip-up lense covers with the rear one being transparent.

anyway, co-witnessing is always a function of the height of the optic, thereby, the mount...

Eric
06-17-11, 04:22
I didn't realize that the PRO came with its own mount.
It's a great package deal that comes with the new QRP2, which is a substantial improvement over the earlier version. Still, some folks opt for something more familiar, which is fine, as you could always sell of the QRP2. The PRO with supplied mount is shown.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Aimpoint/IMG_08642.jpg

jmp45
06-17-11, 14:12
Something to watch for with the QRP2. I've read some have come loose on the rail. I've been to range 3 times, 2 classes with it, tightened 3 clicks from the original setup and noticed it loosened to the point of being just snug, less than one click.

Is there any way to adjust the tension on the rail screw? I think a little more and 3 clicks it would be fine.

ra2bach
06-20-11, 00:35
Something to watch for with the QRP2. I've read some have come loose on the rail. I've been to range 3 times, 2 classes with it, tightened 3 clicks from the original setup and noticed it loosened to the point of being just snug, less than one click.

Is there any way to adjust the tension on the rail screw? I think a little more and 3 clicks it would be fine.

not only that but it is definitely NOT a "return to zero" mount...

m4brian
06-20-11, 04:40
No one is selling these now - right???

Eric
06-20-11, 09:36
not only that but it is definitely NOT a "return to zero" mount...
I did some limited testing @ 50 yards using 2" dot targets. I did two five shot groups, removed/reinstalled and repeated a few times. The POI remained about the same.
Not that I really have a need to take my optic off on a regular basis, but it worked for my purposes.

SteveL
06-20-11, 09:56

I think it's more that everyone who still sells them to the general public is out of stock on them.

m4brian
06-20-11, 11:34
Also considering T1 for size/wt. How much do you lose beyond 100m with the 4moa dot??

nimdabew
06-20-11, 12:53
Also considering T1 for size/wt. How much do you lose beyond 100m with the 4moa dot??

The dot is literally twice as big.

JSantoro
06-20-11, 15:20
Not really.

T1/H1 has the same size emitter as a 4MOA Comp-series device, but in a shorter body. It's about 3.5MOA....

....which is a somewhat moot point, anyway, in regard to what's "lost." One doesn't lose anything realistic between a 2MOA and a larger dot if one, for instance, zeros to the top (12 o'clock) of the dot dot they have, instead of to the center.

Maintain the same absolutely (or as absolutely as possible) definable aimpoint, the "past X distance, the dot covers the target" argument becomes far less relevant. It's understandable why it happens, but folks tend to vapor-lock on any given reticle as an absolutely-only-one-way-to-use-it thing, and this is rarely the case.

At any rate, nobody "loses" anything with a >2MOA dot, as it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that holding 1MOA with a 4MOA Aimpoint is absolutely doable, but that's where we start talking about the Indian and not the bow.

m4brian
06-20-11, 16:10
Roger - and that is what I need to know - in the sense or practical shooting. I suppose at CQB it is 'better', but wondered how to mitigate for hits beyond 100 yards. Thanks.

ra2bach
06-20-11, 20:50
I did some limited testing @ 50 yards using 2" dot targets. I did two five shot groups, removed/reinstalled and repeated a few times. The POI remained about the same.
Not that I really have a need to take my optic off on a regular basis, but it worked for my purposes.

in my case, I removed the PRO in the QRP mount to change out a rail. I left the BUIS in place and it was still zeroed when I checked it. however, the PRO was 4" left at 25 yards after I remounted it.

I did not re-zero it as this time as I was out of good ammo and used the opportunity to catch up on some iron sight practice with the Wolf ammo I had left.

I since removed it and remounted it with attention to making sure it was aligned tight against the right side of the rail before I tightened the clamp nut. I'll let you know what my results are later this week...

C4IGrant
06-21-11, 11:24

We just got more in stock!

C4

jmp45
06-22-11, 19:27
I found that I can tighten as much as I need by putting pressure down on the thumb screw and not letting it ratchet under normal pressure.

TROPICS
06-23-11, 12:18
Mine came loose but not from the rail. Mine slid backwards in the mount after about 400 rounds of use. It was obvisouly sliding back and forth in the mount becuase the anodizing wore off.....The screws may not have been tight from aimpoint, i didn't check them when i installed it. They didnt really seem that loose though either after i noticed it had moved around.

ra2bach
06-23-11, 14:07
We just got more in stock!

C4

Grant, are these still restricted from civilian purchase?

C4IGrant
06-23-11, 14:20
Grant, are these still restricted from civilian purchase?

Technically, yes they are. PM me to see if you qualify.

C4

double-d
07-03-11, 23:43
Quick question....Do these optics typically ship without a battery??
Just received a NIB Aimpoint PRO, no battery either in optic or loose in box. Typical or fluke???

DD

SERT99
07-04-11, 00:01
Dig though the foam slots real good, mine was buried in there

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

DOA
07-04-11, 00:08
Quick question....Do these optics typically ship without a battery??
Just received a NIB Aimpoint PRO, no battery either in optic or loose in box. Typical or fluke???

DD

They normally come with a battery. As the other poster stated, look carefully in the foam. It should be there.

double-d
07-04-11, 00:54
Must be a fluke, none in the box. Only thing besides optic & paperwork were two sockethead screws and one allen wrench.

Thanks much for the quick reply.

ra2bach
07-07-11, 09:33
Must be a fluke, none in the box. Only thing besides optic & paperwork were two sockethead screws and one allen wrench.

Thanks much for the quick reply.

who did you get this from? I would contact them for remedy as Aimpoint includes the batt...

double-d
07-07-11, 10:22
who did you get this from? I would contact them for remedy as Aimpoint includes the batt...

DSG Arms. They shipped me out a battery via 2nd day service and threw in two nice freebies as well. No included battery was a fluke. Kudos to Defense Solutions Group.

DD

Wiggity
07-08-11, 00:10
Just got an aimpoint pro, pretty awesome.

ra2bach
07-08-11, 00:58
DSG Arms. They shipped me out a battery via 2nd day service and threw in two nice freebies as well. No included battery was a fluke. Kudos to Defense Solutions Group.

DD

gotta love the DSG guys... :D

DiabhailGadhar
07-09-11, 21:26
I recently got an AIMPOINT PRO and I was wondering do those of you that shoot in hot/ALWAYS SUNNY states like AZ have to turn your brightness Almost all the way up? I was shooting the other day and just wanted to make sure that this wasn't anything unusual as it works perfect with a bit less ambient light..ALSO I was wondering will a Killflash negate a brightness setting or two? Thanks as usual!

boomhower
07-15-11, 19:48
gotta love the DSG guys... :D

They rock. They get a lot of my money and their LEO/.mil discount rocks.

I recently got an AIMPOINT PRO and I was wondering do those of you that shoot in hot/ALWAYS SUNNY states like AZ have to turn your brightness Almost all the way up? I was shooting the other day and just wanted to make sure that this wasn't anything unusual as it works perfect with a bit less ambient light..ALSO I was wondering will a Killflash negate a brightness setting or two? Thanks as usual!

On sunny days I have to use it at setting eight to be able to see it clearly with out having to focus harder.

I love my Pro. I did switch out the mount to a QD lower third ADM mount. I am overly satisfied it. Great optic at a great price. Only thing I would ever consider switching it for is a T1/H1 if they ever do a 2MOA dot on them.

dialM4murder
07-17-11, 10:50
This thread sorta answered my question. So the QRP mount isn't a true lower 1/3, but IS slightly above the FSP? (I hate co-witness)

Secondly, several places will sell these to civilians, just look around. I thought this was a silly practice to begin with. Kinda like how Winchester does with their Ranger-T series ammo. :rolleyes:

jmp45
07-17-11, 10:58
It is absolute co-witness on my m&p.

SRT
07-17-11, 13:57
Lower third co-witness on my Colt 6940.

dialM4murder
07-17-11, 14:10
Doesn't it (QRP) come with a spacer that makes it lower 1/3?

HES
07-17-11, 21:49
I believe the spacer is intended for mounting the optic on a shot gun.

SpaceWrangler
07-24-11, 09:39
Clyde's Armory has them, I picked up one last week. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Stretch67/Fun/thumbs.gif

C4IGrant
07-27-11, 15:35
PRO's are back in stock!

C4

variablebinary
07-27-11, 17:19
Can anyone confirm if the standard Aimpoint ARD/killflash works on the Aimpoint Pro?

Thx

C4IGrant
07-27-11, 17:29
Can anyone confirm if the standard Aimpoint ARD/killflash works on the Aimpoint Pro?

Thx

They will work.

C4

DWood
08-21-11, 15:54
It's a great package deal that comes with the new QRP2, which is a substantial improvement over the earlier version. Still, some folks opt for something more familiar, which is fine, as you could always sell of the QRP2. The PRO with supplied mount is shown.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Aimpoint/IMG_08642.jpg

This is exactly why I think Aimpoint missed the boat with this "package". I am very interested in the optic but have no desire to pay additional $$$$ for a mediocre mount that I won't use. I believe they would sell many more units by dropping the mount, and accordingly, the price of the PRO.

EDIT: anyone know what the mounts are selling for and even if they are selling?

EDIT 2: $131 at midway

C4IGrant
08-22-11, 09:15
This is exactly why I think Aimpoint missed the boat with this "package". I am very interested in the optic but have no desire to pay additional $$$$ for a mediocre mount that I won't use. I believe they would sell many more units by dropping the mount, and accordingly, the price of the PRO.

I think you are missing the point on the PRO. By NOT selling the PRO with the mount, they would be in the exact same boat there were in (optics with no mounts which makes it harder for them to compete with EOTech).

If you do not like the mount, take it off and sell it on EBAY. Should command at least $60-$80. Just make sure that EBAY is not flooded with them before putting it on there.

C4

mrbieler
08-22-11, 09:31
This is exactly why I think Aimpoint missed the boat with this "package". I am very interested in the optic but have no desire to pay additional $$$$ for a mediocre mount that I won't use.

Not going to pretend I am on Aimpoints marketing team, but based on all the marketing I read and heard up to and after it's release, I would venture that not providing a cost effective mount would be "missing the boat" completely.

Since the mount is used as part of the M68 CCO mount used by the military, I would assume (not being in LEO purchasing) that using that same mount would speed up department acceptance which is whom the package is aimed at. As much as I like mine myself, I know I was not the intended buyer.

Wiggity
08-22-11, 10:08

Why don't you like the mount?

ra2bach
08-22-11, 13:55
heavy, no additional support than a 30MM scope ring or one of the LT mounts...

mrbieler
08-22-11, 14:01
Remove the cost of the mount from the basic RDS (add it as a low cost option if you think it warrants it) and let the consumer buy only the optic if that is all they need.

And there you have it. The PRO isn't for the consumer market.

variablebinary
08-22-11, 14:21
Not having the mount is a far larger detriment than including it for the intended market.

The point of the PRO is not to shoot rocks once a year to impress the bro-in-law after thanksgiving dinner.

The point of the PRO is to provide an all inclusive, cost effective RDS solution. Since forever, Eotech has had an advantage because not only is Eotech generally cheaper, but everything you need is right in the box.

Aimpoint's have always been more expensive and generally sold without a mount.

That is no longer the case, much to the benefit of soldiers and cops everywhere

C4IGrant
08-22-11, 15:16
Well, they are not giving the mount with the HUGE, and possibly unrealible, attachment knob away for free. The mount has a cost. Remove the cost of the mount from the basic RDS (add it as a low cost option if you think it warrants it) and let the consumer buy only the optic if that is all they need.

In my opinion, selling the optic at a standard mark up and offering the mount at a big markdown in a package would sell more units. If they sold the RDS for $350 I would buy it now. Since Midway has the mount for $131, I believe they could do this and make more profit, unless you think the mount costs them less than $50. And if it does, then why is it retailing for $131?

I need a 30 mm RDS for an AK, and I don't need a mount that I can't use and that most buyers replace with a better option. And buying the mediocre mount and selling it on Ebay isn't the answer.

Now, work a deal with RS Products for the PRO and their new AK mount and I AM IN. ;)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XRSAKSM&name=RS+AKSM+30mm+Scope+Mount&groupid=64

Aimpoint doesn't have that much in the mount. Remember, you are not their market. LE sales (Dept and individual officers).

Aimpoint is selling so many of these things that they aren't concerned about picking up any more sales (as they cannot keep them in stock).

I am betting that come Jan 2012, Aimpoint will raise prices on these a lot. Get one now and sell the mount for $50. This is easy to do.

C4

DWood
08-22-11, 15:55
Well, they are not giving the mount with the HUGE, and possibly unrealible, attachment knob away for free. The mount has a cost. Remove the cost of the mount from the basic RDS (add it as a low cost option if you think it warrants it) and let the consumer buy only the optic if that is all they need.

In my opinion, selling the optic at a standard mark up and offering the mount at a big markdown in a package would sell more units. If they sold the RDS for $350 I would buy it now. Since Midway has the mount for $131, I believe they could do this and make more profit, unless you think the mount costs them less than $50. And if it does, then why is it retailing for $131?

I need a 30 mm RDS for an AK, and I don't need a mount that I can't use and that most buyers replace with a better option. And buying the mediocre mount and selling it on Ebay isn't the answer.

Now, work a deal with RS Products for the PRO and their new AK mount and I AM IN. ;)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XRSAKSM&name=RS+AKSM+30mm+Scope+Mount&groupid=64

Wiggity
08-22-11, 18:09
Not having the mount is a far larger detriment than including it for the intended market.

The point of the PRO is not to shoot rocks once a year to impress the bro-in-law after thanksgiving dinner.

The point of the PRO is to provide an all inclusive, cost effective RDS solution. Since forever, Eotech has had an advantage because not only is Eotech generally cheaper, but everything you need is right in the box.

Aimpoint's have always been more expensive and generally sold without a mount.

That is no longer the case, much to the benefit of soldiers and cops everywhere

I think you are on the right track here.

huntswithweim
08-24-11, 16:53
I should have my PRO tomorrow if USPS keeps their end of the deal. I can't wait to get this on and go play. If it lives up to all the hype
(I am sure it will) I plan on hitting the Chief up to get these on the Dept. rifles.