PDA

View Full Version : Rob Leatham video interview

87GN
05-31-11, 17:14
I saw Rob Leatham walking across the show floor at IWA and flagged him down. We talked about pistol shooting techniques for a while, and a 5 minute video of our discussion can be found here (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/05/30/world-champion-pistol-shooter-rob-leatham-talks-about-pistol-shooting/). I hope it is as interesting and educational for those of you who choose to watch it as it was for me.

UDT
05-31-11, 17:22
Thanks, for sharing. Nice.

Kilo 1-1
05-31-11, 17:40
Thanks for the vid, he says what other IPSC shooters I've shot with have echoed. A good reminder for sure.

deuce9166
05-31-11, 18:58
That's some really good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Now, is he a robot or a cyborg?

alvincullumyork
05-31-11, 19:28
Thanks for the video it was very informative. Mr. Leatham's comments on reset were very interesting. It seems to buck what most people think is very important. "Yes. People make a big deal out of only returning the trigger to where it clicks...That's fine but that shouldn't be a focal point to cause that to happen." , "But 9 out of 10 cannot do it." Am I missing something? Is he talking about reset strength, the nice tactile click or both? While researching my next pistol purchase, an m&p 9, one of the biggest gripes was gritty trigger and a weak reset. Further research showed that the trigger smoothed out and reset to me wasn't a deal breaker, especially with all the apex goodies out there.

Mr. Leatham's comments on his method for gripping the gun was also very interesting and is something I will have to try out next time I get to shoot.

theblackknight
05-31-11, 19:50
Awesome job man, love the blog.

Rob is a class act. I had a good convo with him at the 2010 NRA show about how to sell the ISO/thumbs forward shooting style to military personnel, and he was a great help,super eager to give me the full prospective on the shooting style. He was behind the booth showing off guns like any other product rep.

Todd Jarrett is a cool dude in person as well.

87GN
05-31-11, 20:03
Awesome job man, love the blog.

Rob is a class act. I had a good convo with him at the 2010 NRA show about how to sell the ISO/thumbs forward shooting style to military personnel, and he was a great help,super eager to give me the full prospective on the shooting style. He was behind the booth showing off guns like any other product rep.

Todd Jarrett is a cool dude in person as well.

Thanks - hey - are you the same SN over on terminal lance?

militarymoron
05-31-11, 21:58
good video, dude.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-31-11, 22:16
That was a really nice interview, thanks for the subtitles ;)

Surf
05-31-11, 22:47
Nice video and interview.

I think Rob watched my video on how to run a trigger and grip a pistol. :D :jester:

RyanB
06-01-11, 05:12
Robbie is an awesome guy. I wish there were more like him.

Pistol Shooter
06-01-11, 07:30
Very nice interview. Well done. :)

Rob seems like a good guy.

R Moran
06-01-11, 10:03
Kinda flys in the face of all those guys that hate on the M&P for its weak reset, huh...

Bob

Timbonez
06-01-11, 12:41
Very enlightening video. Thanks.

bigghoss
06-01-11, 12:48
very informative, I sure learned something. I'm a huge fan of the blog BTW.

BBJones13
06-01-11, 13:32
Great video. Thank you for sharing it.

ReaperAZ
06-01-11, 13:47
I remember seeing him on Shooting USA some years back and paying close attention to his grip. That was when I changed to the thumbs forward style and have used it since. He is one of the pioneers of the thumbs forward grip and a great spokeman for shooting sports. Thanks for vid!

longball
06-01-11, 15:44
Kinda flys in the face of all those guys that hate on the M&P for its weak reset, huh...

Bob

That's what I thought when I watched the video. I never knew the reset sucked so much though until I started really researching the M&P. :D

Thanks for the video sir. I always enjoy listening to knowledgeable people talk about fundamentals.

WBAR
06-02-11, 09:35
Some years ago one of the Denver gun shops (I think it was The Firing Line) had Rob as part of a Springfield promotion. Rob really put on a show with several 1911s. He was amazingly quick and accurate. Also, the public (including me) were able to handle/fondle his weapons which all had unbelieveably light, crisp triggers.

I really enjoyed the "show" and got to talk with Rob a little afterward. His knowledge was really impressive as was his humor- I can't repeat what he had to say about Les Baer! :) WB

TomMcC
06-02-11, 10:34
I'm definitely one of those 9 out 10 people that can't feel the trigger reset when I'm going as fast as I can get hits. That includes strong reset pistols like Glocks, and my AR's with stock triggers. Right now I'm using a M&P, which I like alot, but even with the Apex RAM I can't feel the trigger reset when I'm going fast.

Magsz
06-02-11, 17:55
I cringe as i type this as its derailing the topic...sort of but...

I believe there is a distinct difference between a STRONG and FORCEFUL reset and one that clicks loudly.

The glock, due to its trigger design forcefully resets the trigger, the M&P does not.

Just like Rob confirms, trigger reset at speed does not matter as much as most people like to think it does so long as you're not outrunning the mechanical speed at which the pistol/trigger can reset. I do not believe anyone is humanly capable of doing this.

Very cool interview 87GN, thank you very much. Its always awesome to hear what the elites of the shooting sports have to say about pure shooting.

theblackknight
06-02-11, 18:23
Thanks - hey - are you the same SN over on terminal lance?

Yeah,same on youtube

darr3239
06-02-11, 19:15
Good video. What makes Rob a fantastic human being is he is just a regular guy. I had the pleasure of taking a class from him, after seeing him on who knows how many shows on TV, and it was like meeting my next door neighbor. No ego, no attitude, just really caring in trying to make better shooters. He's unique in more ways than one.

xpd54
06-02-11, 21:52
A couple years ago at the single stack classic I was squadded with a guy who was engaged to (then) Julie Goloski. Julie, Rob and his wife were shooting the next day and hung out with our squad all day. I was struck by how down to earth he was. Helped past targets, joked with everyone in the squad and was just a down to earth guy. Quite a guy. TGO, indeed.

Quite a few USPSA/3 gun superstars are like that. Jerry Miculek, Phil Strader, the list goes on. One of the reasons I like the game.

Drew78
06-03-11, 05:54
Got it!

Great video, thanks for your efforts!

DelSole
06-03-11, 08:55
Good info in that.
Thanks

PaulL
06-03-11, 09:20
The link wasn't working for me, either, but here's the video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqhSSiU_j8

Great stuff.