PDA

View Full Version : What would you change, and why?

MWL
05-31-11, 17:51
I am presently sourcing parts for a couple of "Precision" builds (the HH6 also wants one). Also, I am in Canada, so there are some limits to what I can get, or get at a reasonable price.

I have looked at the whole Recce/M4 Sniper/Recon/SPR/DMR debate, and have settled on what I have decided to call a Compact DMR.

The rifles will only be used at the range due to being restricted here, and at 200 to 600+ meters depending on what range I am at. I decided to stick with .223/5.56 due to minimising the number of calibres I have down to four (.223/5.56, 9mmP, 12G, 22LR).

These are the specs so far:

Sabre Defence stripped Lower (UK version)- I have several of these and they are in spec and have no calibre markings.

RRA LPK - I know, I know, but I have used them before without any problems, and I am only using some of the parts.

LMT Ambi safety - They are on all my ARs, and I am a lefty.

Norgon Ambi-catch - See above.

Geissele Trigger - SSA or SSA-E - Haven't finalised this yet.

Falcon Ergogrip with palm shelf - Very comfortable and fits my hand well. I also have some without the palm shelf, and they are on all my ARs.

Magpul PRS Stock - I already have this, and I find it very comfortable and adjustable. I also have a couple of spare CTRs with LMT 6 position Lower receiver extensions and LMT carbine, H and H2 buffers.

Colt M4 Upper Receiver - As good as it gets?

LMT FA BCG - I have plenty of these and they are pretty good.

Lilja 16.5" 1/8 Stainless Barrel in the "Recce/Recon" contour with mid-length gas system, .223 Wylde chamber, M4 feedramps and A2 Flash hider - I did some crude dwell time calculations as well as looking at velocity and "handiness".

JP Mid-length Modular Handguard - I like the clean look and weight, as well as the attachment method, and the ability to add a lower rail for a bipod.

PRI Flip-up Front Sight Block with XS 24/7 Trtium Stripe - I really like the sight picture with these, and have them on all my ARs.

Magpul MBUS Rear Sight - I have these on all my ARs, and have a few spares, but may change it out for a Knight's 200-600 Micro if I can get them and funds permit.

Harris HBRMS Bipod - I already have a few of these spare.

I have not yet decided on the final optics, I have a couple of Leupold CQTs, Leupold 3.5-10x40, and Leupold 8.5-25x50 that I want to try, but I can also get a couple of Burris XTR 1-5x24s in exchange for a rifle I no longer use.

Any criticisms or advice will be welcomed. Please include reasons for the changes or alternatives.

Regards.

Mark

K Town
06-03-11, 18:21
Since your building a DMR type rifle I would go straight for the SSA-E and leave the SSA for carbine type rifle. Either way you can't go wrong with Geissele triggers.

MWL
06-03-11, 18:47
Thank you for the response.

I have had this up for three days, and this is the first comment. I was beginning to think I had put it in the wrong forum (I knew it wasn't because the selections I made were that good that no one had anything they would change).

Never having tried either, I was unsure whether the difference would be noticeable on a mid-range type rifle. The description on the Geissele site seems to imply that either could be used with DMRs, with the SSA-E being a little lighter.

Regards.

Mark

K Town
06-03-11, 18:56
I personally do not own the SSA or the SSA-E but from what I have read over the past few weeks is that the SSA is a fantastic trigger and the SSA-E will make it that much easier to shoot past 300+ yards (Which you will probably do with a DMR type rifle).

I have been trying to decide between the two triggers also for a Mk12 build and I think for a DMR role the SSA-E fits the bill perfectly.

MWL
06-03-11, 19:20
What made you decide on the Mk12?

Was it because you want a Mk12 (the look), or because you decided that a Mk12 will fulfill a particular role for you?

For myself, I decided that nice as it would be to have a collection of "military" rifles, I wanted rifles that would serve a particular role for me. That was why I came up with the current "Compact DMR".

Regards.

Mark

K Town
06-03-11, 19:51
I find the Mk12 to be the perfect semi-auto rifle for short to medium range engagements on soft targets due to the fact it utilizes standard M16/M4 mags and ammo if you were to run out of Mk262. It can still reach out and touch at 600 yards but is no longer than a 20" A4 and is lighter than a 20 lbs bolt gun (Which has its own role and purpose).

I have always been in love with the Mk12/SPR type rifles from a young age and the K.I.S.S. M16A2 and A4 have always been my favorite "Feel and Set-up" like how many people love the 16" middy so the Mk12 has become my ultimate rifle.

The main difference is that I will run mine with a 1x4 power scope so I can run it under 100 yards. I thought about doing a RECCE rifle but I find the 18" barrel and rifle gas system to be perfect for my taste.

MWL
06-03-11, 20:13
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

It is always interesting to hear the reasons behind people's choices, especially when they have thought them through, and have a purpose for what they have chosen.

Regards.

Mark

K Town
06-03-11, 20:24
No problem, I've always enjoy talking and debating about different rifle and gear set-up's with other people who have a real purpose and reason behind their rigs. I find it funny how much my views on certain items has changed after a little bit of research and listening to other peoples experiences.

Feel free to shoot me a PM when ever you want to talk about gear and tactics.

Kevin

geistacwm
06-03-11, 23:24
Externally, I would think ones build, stance and general taste would take the lead.

If it were me, I would swap out half the stuff because it doesn't suit my taste or body type.

The PRS has always been bulky to me and the Jtac foreend doesn't have the grit I require and get from railed types with ladders.

+1 for the Geissele though, that's a sure bet.

J Krammes
06-03-11, 23:43
I don't have a true Mk12, but I do call it a Mk12 Mod 0.5...:D I went with a WOA 18" SPR barrel and a Geissele SSA-E topped with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50. I have not been able to shoot much though. My last outing was a bit windy and 34*. However I did get a few groups at .93 and the best was .75 (5 shots of BH 77gr). I like the standard A2 stock. The SSA-E is really nice. I would not want anything with a heaver pull. If anything I would want a lighter one.

Jeremy

Iraqgunz
06-04-11, 01:43
I think I would pass on the PRS stock and possibly look at an A2 style. Or if possible I would consider an M4 style stock with an A5 set up.

I think you should at the magazine release from Troy. I have one and it is simple and easy to use and low pro. It's also about 25.00 cheaper than the Norgon. If you can get the KAC one for a good price it is also good.

I want to confirm that in Canada you cannot use this for home or self-defense, correct?

MWL
06-04-11, 08:35
Guys,

Thank you for the responses.

I agree that a few of the items are more personal taste, and that there are a number of options that would serve the same purpose.

I initially thought I would use the PRS as I have one in the spares box along with rifle receiver extensions, etc. I don't really like the A2, and got rid of my last couple a month or two ago.

I have some spare LMT carbine Receiver extensions, along with Magpul CTRs and a couple of spare Vltor Carbine Clubfoot Modstocks.

I might build one with the PRS, and one with a Carbine receiver extension, and try the different stocks I have.

I don't think we will see any "legal" A5s up here for a while, so I will stick with what I already have for now, and upgrade later pending funds and availability.

That is also the reason I went with the Norgon. Ih have a few spares, and can manipulate both it, and the bolt release with my trigger finger, without changing my grip.

We can only use ARs on approved ranges, along with other "restricted" firearms, pistols, etc.

Regards.

Mark