PDA

View Full Version : Magpul CTR

hags
10-13-07, 20:50
Maybe someone can help me here.
I see no advantage to the Magpul CTR buttstock over the 6 position M4 buttstock, other than it says Magpul on it.
I have ordered/received a CTR and prefer the stock 6 position M4 buttstock.
Anyone?

Paulinski
10-13-07, 21:05
I really like my CTR's. They lock up solid with no wiggle whatsoever.

Now I can''t wait for the UBR to come out. ;)

kletzenklueffer
10-13-07, 21:16
ditto- the CTR locks up solid. I have a beard from time to time and the M4 stock occasionally rips a hair out. I haven't measured, but I'm thinking the CTR makes for a shorter collapsed OAL too. Maybe it just looks that way.

Don Robison
10-13-07, 21:26
One more for the solid lockup and no rattle.

nationwide
10-13-07, 22:11
You have no idea what you are missing out on.

I must agree with the others... you have to shoulder one of these to believe it!!!

Having said that, this stock may not be for you, true enough. But you won't know until you shoulder it. It is amazing. I have one on my 16" and my SBR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/nationwide/guns/nationwide_carbines.jpg

CarlosDJackal
10-13-07, 22:38
Don't knock it until you try it. I felt the same way until I got to fondle someone else's CTR-equipped AR. I love the fact that the stock locks up without any wiggling or rattling whatsoever. Makes for a very stable cheekweld. YMMV.

AR-15A3
10-13-07, 23:09
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/LMTD2K-GM-L116-ASF.jpg

I like my CTR better than my original M4 stock on my LMT carbine, the CTR is rock solid, my LMT M4 stock was tight but had a slight movement.

When I got my CTR my dealer sent me the wrong model, I got the commercial CTR model which have a bigger tube hole diameter but it still fits tight on my mil size tube, my dealer sent me the correct mil model and I didn't notice any difference, they were both very solid.

Stickman
10-14-07, 00:15
I really like my CTR's. They lock up solid with no wiggle whatsoever.

Now I can''t wait for the UBR to come out. ;)

They are both nice stocks in their own realm. Not all stocks are going to make everyone happy, and its nice that there is a wealth of choices out there for people to gear up the way they want.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul/IMG_4960%20Stick.jpg

SuicideHz
10-14-07, 00:22
Don't knock it until you try it. I felt the same way until I got to fondle someone else's CTR-equipped AR. I love the fact that the stock locks up without any wiggling or rattling whatsoever. Makes for a very stable cheekweld. YMMV.

Guys, he has tried it. He's made that very clear.

Marc
10-14-07, 01:28
I love mine, as all said, rock solid, no rattle, very stable and comfortable, but maybe not for you!
A stupid question, did you order the right one for your tube?

KevinB
10-14-07, 03:00
The 6 position is the buffer tube - it can be used with either Colt stock or the CTR (milspec).

Are you saying you prefer a 6 position option? or are you saying you prefer the Colt stock to the CTR?

For me the stock difference is night and day - especially with the rubber buttplate.

carbinero
10-14-07, 03:35
The used AR I bought came with a CAA side saddle, which I understand goes for only $20 or so. It gives a nice cheekweld and some battery storage. If you stick with the 6-pos, maybe this addition will make you like it even better. BTW, you didn't mention WHY you prefer the 6-pos...

rob_s
10-14-07, 07:19
I resisted the CTR craze as well, but in favor of the Vltor not the standard stock. Now that I have tried the CTR, it's what I'm buying for all future ARs. I don't like it enough to replace my Vltors, yet, but that may change as funds become available.

I like the solid lockup over the Colt and Vltor, and I like the fact that it hasn't pulled my beard hairs yet.

Erick Gelhaus
10-14-07, 09:33
If it doesn't work for YOU, then don't worry about about. Use what does work for you.

I like both the LMT Crane and MagPul CTR stocks, I have multiple platforms with each. That said, the Vltor stocks do not do (& never have done) anything for me.

Nothing against the Vltor, like the CTR for you, but it just isn't for me. Hence why we like having multiple quality manufacturers bringing their offerings to market.

Erick

ST911
10-14-07, 10:05
I was a late-comer to the CTR as well, and bought it to see what the hype was about. It's well constructed with a solid lockup. It's not enough better (for me) to warrant to replacement of all of my M4 stocks. They've worked well for my needs. Where a replacement, spare, or new build is needed though, the CTR is on the list.

Pat_Rogers
10-14-07, 10:17
Like my larger Brother Erick says.

I have Crane, CTR, UBR and Enhanced on all of my carbines. I prefer them to the vltors, older issue stocks and a flood of others, but you need to use what works best for you.

five13
10-14-07, 15:46
While we're on the topic of the CTR, is it usual to have a little play at full extension? I push the stock in a 1/2" or so and then it locks up tight.

SuicideHz
10-14-07, 19:15
While we're on the topic of the CTR, is it usual to have a little play at full extension? I push the stock in a 1/2" or so and then it locks up tight.

I think mine did that too...

He's probably asking to just make sure he's not missing anything. I know I've asked the same sort of question when I have gotten a new sling. Maybe the sling was all the rage at the time and I actually figured I wasn't doing something right because I wasn't getting a tingly feeling over it.

No harm in asking.

hags
10-14-07, 21:30
Well, both mine are solid on lockup ( the Magpul slightly more so), they function the same, and they are about the same size. Not sure why one is prefered over the other, is it a fondness based on aesthetics?
I was looking for the Magpul to provide something more than the standard 6 position stock.
Not sure that is does.........it looks different.
I'm not saying it's not a quality made product, it is!
Maybe some people have to have it because the next guy does.

Shihan
10-14-07, 21:45
Most M4 style stocks wiggle witht the exception of LMT and the CTR does not. There are so many different stocks made because people vary so much. I have CTR's but I prefer the EMOD now.

thmpr
10-14-07, 23:03
The CTR is a great functional stock as the M93B. I dont care for the standard 6 pos M4 stock. It feels cheap.

KWACKERB279
10-14-07, 23:17
I resisted the CTR craze as well, but in favor of the Vltor not the standard stock. Now that I have tried the CTR, it's what I'm buying for all future ARs. I don't like it enough to replace my Vltors, yet, but that may change as funds become available.

I like the solid lockup over the Colt and Vltor, and I like the fact that it hasn't pulled my beard hairs yet.

HaHa, thats funny shit, my sentiments exactly, the standard ones get my hairs also and I've already traded up from vltor to CTR.:D

Lumpy196
10-15-07, 01:12
Well, both mine are solid on lockup ( the Magpul slightly more so), they function the same, and they are about the same size. Not sure why one is prefered over the other, is it a fondness based on aesthetics?

No, because I can guarantee you, once your 6 position stocks see some use beyond playing on the range, they will loosen up on you and start to rattle. The CTR uses a different kind of lock up and will remain virtually as tight as the day you bought it.

UVvis
10-15-07, 01:26
I like that the CTR has a good QD anchor point on it, and has a solid attachment for the rubber butt pad.

Lumpy196
10-15-07, 01:31
I like that the CTR has a good QD anchor point on it, and has a solid attachment for the rubber butt pad.

More solid points in the CTR's favor that have nothing to do with aesthetics.

rob_s
10-15-07, 03:27
This is starting to sound more and more like a troll post than any sort of honest question. :mad:

Lumpy196
10-15-07, 03:30
This is starting to sound more and more like a troll post than any sort of honest question. :mad:

Actually, I think if we got hags to be honest what this about, he simply does not like the unconventional looks of the CTR but doesnt just want to say that ;)

hags
10-15-07, 03:59
Actually I'm not sure what a troll post is but it was an honest question.
How can you troll your own post?
I think both stocks look similiar, I do like the 6 position M4 stock look, but the triangle look of the CTR doesn't bother me.
I guess the question had to do with why so many people use/have the CTR as opposed to the conventional 6 pos.
I suppose if you're building from scratch then I can see ordering the CTR, but to replace one stock with the other ( 6 pos replaced by CTR) then I don't get it.
I bought the CTR thinking there was some reason that it was the "hot ticket" and everyone has one.
Not that I'm disappointed, it is nice and locks up really tight, but as far as a functioning part of an M4 carbine they're almost identical.
I intended as originally posted to get some opinion and thoughts on the subject, to find out why members here like one over the other, I don't really appreciate being called a "troll" or accused of imprepriety.

hags
10-15-07, 04:00
Actually, I think if we got hags to be honest what this about, he simply does not like the unconventional looks of the CTR but doesnt just want to say that ;)

Ok, sort of.............but it's not a deal breaker. Plus, with the conventional 6 position I can hang my M4gery vertically from the closet rod in my closet.

rob_s
10-15-07, 04:53
I think both stocks look similiar, I do like the 6 position M4 stock look, but the triangle look of the CTR doesn't bother me.
I guess the question had to do with why so many people use/have the CTR as opposed to the conventional 6 pos.
I suppose if you're building from scratch then I can see ordering the CTR, but to replace one stock with the other ( 6 pos replaced by CTR) then I don't get it.
I bought the CTR thinking there was some reason that it was the "hot ticket" and everyone has one.
Not that I'm disappointed, it is nice and locks up really tight, but as far as a functioning part of an M4 carbine they're almost identical.
I intended as originally posted to get some opinion and thoughts on the subject, to find out why members here like one over the other, I don't really appreciate being called a "troll" or accused of imprepriety.

If you've bought it, tried it, used it, and it doesn't do anything for you, what else is there to ask? And if you do ask, and get responses from people that like it, what is the point in posting things like "Maybe some people have to have it because the next guy does." :confused:

Shihan
10-15-07, 04:58

It locks up tight.
Has QD sling attachment ponts.
Offers good cheekweld
Available in a variety of colors
Rubber buttpad that solidly attaches.
Risers available

Looks like some pretty good reasons that the M4 stock dosent have.

hags
10-15-07, 05:01
If you've bought it, tried it, used it, and it doesn't do anything for you, what else is there to ask? And if you do ask, and get responses from people that like it, what is the point in posting things like "Maybe some people have to have it because the next guy does." :confused:

What else is there to ask? What's the point of forums like this? I want to know what everyone else thinks of their CTR, what's the problem with that?
I asked the question and make statements like that because maybe, some people have to have it because the next guy does, or it's the latest and greatest, like the iPhone.
I bought it because I wanted to try it 'cause "everyone else" seems to have one. Just want to know why.

rob_s
10-15-07, 05:12
What else is there to ask? What's the point of forums like this? I want to know what everyone else thinks of their CTR, what's the problem with that?
I asked the question and make statements like that because maybe, some people have to have it because the next guy does, or it's the latest and greatest, like the iPhone.
I bought it because I wanted to try it 'cause "everyone else" seems to have one. Just want to know why.

Just because you bought it simply because everyone else did doesn't mean that's the same reason everyone else did.

The rest of your questions have been answered, repeatedly.

nationwide
10-15-07, 05:13
Ok, sort of.............but it's not a deal breaker. Plus, with the conventional 6 position I can hang my M4gery vertically from the closet rod in my closet.

It took you to the bottom of p2 to point out a structural difference that matters to you? :rolleyes:

Canonshooter
10-15-07, 05:14
I plan on buying one for my BM M4gery because;

1. I'm moving out of NY and can finally de-Klintonize
2. I don't like stocks that rattle and go bump in the night.
3. I want to keep the weight of my rifle down - the CTR is pretty light
4. I want a stock with a rubber butt plate.
...and last but not least...
5. I am already using Magpul products and am very pleased with them

So before I buy one, I've done my homework and am pretty convinced I will be happy with it.

hags
10-15-07, 05:34
Just because you bought it simply because everyone else did doesn't mean that's the same reason everyone else did.

The rest of your questions have been answered, repeatedly.

Right, hence my questions.

hags
10-15-07, 05:39
It took you to the bottom of p2 to point out a structural difference that matters to you? :rolleyes:

Not that big a deal, and it just came to mind. I guess in that vein the CTR would be less prone to snagging.

NickB
10-15-07, 14:20
Not that big a deal, and it just came to mind. I guess in that vein the CTR would be less prone to snagging.

FWIW, the CTR's plastic is much stronger than the plastic standard M4 stocks are made out of. Not really necessary for the way most of us use our rifles, but I've heard a number of police and military users express their satisfaction with its durability.

KevinB
10-15-07, 14:28
Very happy CTR user...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq/IMG_3336.jpg

I gave away the Crane stock that came with my carbine - when my CTR I BOUGHT came in...

markm
10-15-07, 15:14
I need to make friends with more guys with more gadgets! I've never had the chance to try ANY of the aftermarket stocks! :eek:

NickB
10-15-07, 15:48
I need to make friends with more guys with more gadgets! I've never had the chance to try ANY of the aftermarket stocks! :eek:

I don't have any extra stocks laying around, but I'll send you a three-pack of Magpuls if you want. :p

QuickStrike
10-15-07, 18:05
Waiting for one to arrive for my 6920. Will probably buy one for my Stag too. :cool:

Failure2Stop
10-20-07, 08:09
hags-

You should know better than to question a purchase based on personal preference;)

Hey, different strokes for different folks, right? For god's sake people, there are still unwashed heathens that like AK's! THE HORROR!

If you are not satisfied with your purchase, I will happily buy it off you. Of course as long as it is FDE (the color formerly known as "brown").

Stickman
10-20-07, 13:11

Is this a legit comment, or one made in jest?

cz7
10-20-07, 22:25
i have seen too many m-4 stocks with play which hurts accuracy of holding weapon to the shoulder -i have one on my sig its wow nice !!my ar is next on restocking !

markm
10-21-07, 10:43
Is this a legit comment, or one made in jest?

Completely legit! It took me years before I got to check out a magpul follower first hand. I warmed up to them very quickly after I got to mess with one.

Mudbug is a total gear queer. (he's the guy who showed me the magpul followers) I rarely shoot with him though.

NickB
10-21-07, 12:22
Completely legit! It took me years before I got to check out a magpul follower first hand. I warmed up to them very quickly after I got to mess with one.

Mudbug is a total gear queer. (he's the guy who showed me the magpul followers) I rarely shoot with him though.

And yet you ignored my offer for free gear. :( ;)

markm
10-21-07, 16:43
Magpul kept wanting to give me free stuff to try out. I didn't feel right about taking it, so I bought some of the stuff myself. They converted me to a customer.

Their high quality products and professionalism in the face of really dim bulbs on TOS amazed me.

hags
10-22-07, 08:01
Back on topic......Alright, alright, after having shot my carbine with the Magpul CTR and actually taking notice, the cheekweld is much better, weapon feels better when at aim. Much more comfortable and I'm able to shoot a little more accurately. Also, the solid lock is nice and also aids in accuracy.
I do not shoot "action" competition but do practice rapid fire drills.
So, now I get it!

Robb Jensen
10-22-07, 08:17
I like the Magpul CTR, I used my 10" LMT yesterday at Blackwaters side rifle match along with some PMAGs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbsidematch800.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbsidematch2800.jpg

markm
11-19-07, 12:14
I got to check one of these out this weekend. Innocent_bystander had one on his dedicated .22lr converted AR.

It's a nice stock... solid. You click one to adjust and the other to lock it I guess...

I'm going to have to wait for a Magpul sponsership though... Shooting funds are limited to reloading components right now. :p