PDA

View Full Version : QD Can's and Flash hider compatability

amac
06-01-11, 06:46
I'm putting together an SBR and plan to purchase a can. In the meantime, I want to replace the standard flash hider with a break. I'm not sure which can I want, but really like the AAC Blackout 51T. Will any QD can fit this break? Or, do you have to stay within the respective family - Surefire with Surefire, KAC with KAC, etc....?

Thanks

rob_s
06-01-11, 06:57
Typically mount:can is not cross-brand compatible. In fact I can't think of any right off the top of my head where a can from one company fits on a mount from another. The one caveat is that several manufacturers make cans that fit on the A2 flash hider, in which case that one muzzle device will accept cans from multiple vendors.

amac
06-01-11, 07:12
Typically mount:can is not cross-brand compatible. In fact I can't think of any right off the top of my head where a can from one company fits on a mount from another. The one caveat is that several manufacturers make cans that fit on the A2 flash hider, in which case that one muzzle device will accept cans from multiple vendors.

That's not what I wanted to hear, but exactly what I needed to hear. :mad:

Guess I better be sure of the can before making any change.

Thanks

markm
06-01-11, 08:01
Have you shot or been around guys with any of these "brakes"? They are miserable on any gun. And HORRIBLE on shorter barrels.

If you plan to shoot with the can mounted all the time that's one thing. Iraqgunz does this, and he still used the standard FH mounts.

amac
06-01-11, 08:20
Never. I was just seriously considering the M4 2000 or the Mini can. I use BC's. Have any good suggestions to control an 11.5"? I'm in the building stage and have a H2 buffer. KAC lower with Noveske SS 11.5" barrel in MUR upper. I plan to run a can, most of the time. It may be a little while before I get it though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

markm
06-01-11, 09:37
Those brakes are miserable to shoot with the can off. Especially with an 11.5. But it'll really depend on how you plan to shoot.

I've never found the need to tame an 11.5 with a muzzle device. A better approach in my opinon would be an A5 buffer system. That smooths out the cycling good with no nasty side affects.

JasonM
06-01-11, 12:07
Those brakes are miserable to shoot with the can off. Especially with an 11.5. But it'll really depend on how you plan to shoot.

I've never found the need to tame an 11.5 with a muzzle device. A better approach in my opinon would be an A5 buffer system. That smooths out the cycling good with no nasty side affects.

this. a lot.

An SBR 5.56 runs a lot more "tame" to me with a flash hider mount rather than a brake. those seriously are awful without the can.

Get the brake if you plan on running the can most of the time.

Fire_Medic
06-01-11, 13:11
I can echo the brake being miserable. My 14.5 DD has a permanently attached SF brake, and under the awning at the range it's louder thn my buddies AR-10 with JP brake! :eek:

I am to the point that I might sell the upper just to get rid of the brake and next time go with the FH.

It's was cool the first range outing but that got old VERY quick.