PDA

View Full Version : Two part question

newyork
06-01-11, 09:15
I've decided to stay with the Glock 19 instead of clouding everything up and purchasing the S&W M&P45 and having multiple platforms so...
I am going to get a 2nd G19 (2 is 1) in a month or two and might go with a Gen 4. I know some are having problems. Should I stay away or is it blown out of proportion. If I have problems, is it something that can be addressed quickly by Glock or is it more complicated and not worth the Gen4?
Secondly, I want to put Ameriglo Hacks on it. Plain black rear with front night sight with orange ring. What model number are these and where should I buy them?
Thanks,
Rich

NeoNeanderthal
06-01-11, 10:10
why no gen 3?

newyork
06-01-11, 10:12
No problem with Gen 3 for me. I have one. Also hearing about newer Gen 3 guns shitting the bed.

Magsz
06-01-11, 10:25
The Gen 4 offers very little in the way of "performance" gains.

For me, the dual recoil spring provides a very strange recoil impulse that takes a lot of getting used to.

People say the Gen 4 guns shoot "flatter" at speed but im not seeing this. Whether its a gen 3 or a 4, my M&P's still have less muzzle climb. The gen 4's are more of a "kerklunk" rather than a snap. Im not sure if this makes sense but it is the best that i can describe it.

Now, having said all of this, i still chose the gen 4 for the following reasons.

1. At the time i liked the Gen 4 mag catch. I thought it was a huge improvement over the Gen 3. After 2k rounds through the gen 4 i absolutely, positively hate the catch and think it was a step backwards in evolution. Paging Mr Vickers, we need you to design a catch that is slightly taller so that you dont have to depress EXACTLY the leading edge of the catch in order to release the magazine.

2. The gen 4 "SF" grip is really what shines. I chose the gun for this reason alone and to me its worth it. The gen 3 glocks are just a little too big for my hands and make the trigger reach uncomfortable. Throw on a grip force adapter and they become unshootable for me. In this instance, the gen 4 grip is nearly perfect and when the grip force adapter goes on its still manageable.

3. The texture is way better than the gen 3 guns BUT i texture my frames and most people do, so this is a bit of a moot issue.

If you dont need the smaller grip or the improved texture then stick with the gen 3, there is literally zero reason to go with the gen 4 guns at the current time.

newyork
06-01-11, 11:04
Thanks Mags. Any idea on the sights model # ?

C4IGrant
06-01-11, 11:10
Go with a early model (read used) GEN 3 G19.

For sights, go with the I-Dot setup with the Hackthorn front.

C4

Nephrology
06-01-11, 11:15
Thanks Mags. Any idea on the sights model # ?

I do not off the top of my head but order them directly from ameriglo's website. you should have no problem locating them there. www.ameriglo.com. add "GSSF" at the coupon box at checkout for a 5% discount.

I run hacks on my G19 and G17. Love them.

newyork
06-01-11, 11:25
Just figured it out and ordered Hacks. Doh! Wish I saw your response first.

newyork
06-01-11, 12:07
Although I'm definitely going with a back up G19 this time around, I was really tempted by a G34 or G17. Next time. Thanks for the advice guys.

m249saw
06-01-11, 15:44
Ameriglo Hacks on my Glock 34 for about a year, gone through many classes with them. They work great.

Fire_Medic
06-01-11, 17:12
Ameriglo Hacks on my Glock 34 for about a year, gone through many classes with them. They work great.

Had them on my last 4 Glocks and currently on my M&P, yes they work, and I LOVE them.... :jester:

Drew78
06-01-11, 22:53
I have run "Hacks" on my 19's and 26's for just over a year and I absoutley love this combo! VERY fast tracking on the front and good enough fine accuracy to hit empty 9mm brass at 30' consistently with the same sights/guns.

Good stuff...

D. Christopher
06-02-11, 05:01
If the Gen3 G19 fits your hand and you shoot it well then get another one just like it. The only reason to get a Gen4 would be if you had large hands and the Gen3 was too small. With 2 Gen3 pistols the parts are interchangeable and you can order 1 complete set of spare parts that will work in either pistol. In an emergency you can switch to your backup pistol without any changes or even "borrow" a part to keep #1 gun running while you wait for an ordered part to arrive. Maximum flexibility, minimum changes.

Everyone must decide what suits them best but I am happy with 2 Gen3 G19s. I would not be happy with a Gen3 and a Gen4, and really unhappy with 2 Gen4s.