PDA

View Full Version : Stick vs Ball Power

markm
06-01-11, 10:44
Found this powder info at this link:

http://www.hps-tr.com/guidance/barrel_runningIn.asp

There are two principle types of propellant powder used in rifle cartridges:
a) Extruded – which is used in most high quality or competition ammunition. The powder looks like little rods or tubes and leaves a soft fouling residue on the barrels after each shot that is easier to clean.
b) Ball – which is used by many other military ammunition makers (being inexpensive to make and easy to load at speed). It looks like tiny ball bearings of various sizes with the larger balls looking slightly flattened. It burns hotter than most extruded powders and leaves a hard fouling residue on the barrel wall, which is more difficult to clean, and may require more rigorous cleaning.
Do not mix extruded powder ammunition and ball powder ammunition without cleaning between the use of the two different types, otherwise further and more complex fouling problems can occur.

5pins
06-01-11, 11:13
I never heard of the “more complex fouling” problem but I have heard that using ball and extruded at the same time without cleaning between the two can cause accuracy to drop off. I don’t know if it is true or not, I rarely use extruded powder.

markm
06-01-11, 11:32
Yeah. Interesting stuff there. This is probably aimed at precision barrels. I mix Ball ammo and Stick ammo all the time in Chrome lined fighting guns.