PDA

View Full Version : Single Kydex holster for Glock 17/19/26

Warg
06-01-11, 14:31
Looks like I'll be adding a Glock 26 to go with my 17 and 19 and I was wondering if it is possible to use a single OWB holster for all three. I noticed that Comp-Tac has a OWB "slide" model that is supposed to accomodate various lengths of 9/40/357s. Is this a feasible option or a compromise I should avoid, i.e., should I use a dedicated OWB holster for the baby Glock instead? If feasible, are there any other manufacturers to look into? Didn't see the same option on Raven's site.

This is for non-duty carry only, BTW.

Thanks.

Palmguy
06-01-11, 14:59
The risk associated with something like that is with the longer guns (G19 & G17) the muzzle is exposed and you could push it out of the holster if you bumped into something sitting down for instance.

Another option is using a holster for the biggest gun (G17 in this case) with the smaller guns, which will cover the muzzle on all three. Drawback is a longer than necessary holster for the shorter guns which could affect concealability if you aren't OC'ing, or perhaps just unwanted bulk.

Backroad
06-01-11, 14:59
Check out the standard FOBUS holsters. Not sure what they recommend for those Glock models. I know my G30 takes a different one because it's a little more of a brick than the others.

But I really like the FOBUS standards. Have one for a Kimber, one for a Colt Officers, and one for the G30 - all 45s.

Also have Crossbreed Supertucks for those guns, but am still partial to the FOBUS.

al

Steve S.
06-01-11, 16:52
Any of the quality kydex companies will allow a G17 or G34 holster to fit all the models you desire.

The only question would be is if the extra shrouding of kydex in G17 size when running a G26 would bother you.

For me, the grip of the gun is the hardest to hide - so I have no problems running a subcompact in a fullsize holster.

Warg
06-01-11, 23:03
I suspect the open style holster would be a problem per Palmguy's point. If the retention was so tight to prevent pushing the longer pistol out when sitting, I'm sure it would be too tight to use properly.

As long as the retention is fine, I'd have no problems wearing the extra shroud with the compact and subcompacts.

I want to focus training this year and would like to minimize the amount of crap I have to travel with, e.g., employ a single holster for the G17 and bring a G19 or G26 as a backup.

cobb1873
06-01-11, 23:46
For a cheap training holster I would look at the Glock sport holster. I use it for a G19 and am very pleased. Also any of the slide holsters like the Galco M7X Matrix, or Tac Slide would work for a kydex type holster. Also in leather is the Yaqui style of holster made by many companies.

Moose-Knuckle
06-02-11, 20:27
Another option is using a holster for the biggest gun (G17 in this case) with the smaller guns, which will cover the muzzle on all three. Drawback is a longer than necessary holster for the shorter guns which could affect concealability if you aren't OC'ing, or perhaps just unwanted bulk.

I have been researching holsters such as the Comp-Tac and RCS for the same reason as the OP. I’m looking for an OWB non duty/non CC for a G17 and a G19. For my intended purposes it would be a waste of money and lead time if a holster cannot accommodate both.

Steve S.
06-02-11, 21:02
I have been researching holsters such as the Comp-Tac and RCS for the same reason as the OP. I’m looking for an OWB non duty/non CC for a G17 and a G19. For my intended purposes it would be a waste of money and lead time if a holster cannot accommodate both.

I can't say for certain on some of the companies, but myself and most other quality makers focus all retention at the trigger guard. Therefore, shorter slides are no problem.

To answer the OP, when running a smaller gun and having the extra "shell" around the muzzle - it doesn't impede the draw at all. It will draw more or less just like larger guns (with the slight reduction in friction).

calicojack
06-02-11, 21:08
i have a kolbeson "minimal itw" for that was built for a 19. i carry it appendix with my 26. i have no issues what-so-ever with any type of floppage. it is very secure. no movement at all. with the way josh makes his holsters, i'm sure that if i had a holster made for a 17, that it would retain the other two as well..

i guess the biggest questions are:
what type of retention do you want?
and
what brand do you want?

if you want to look at josh's stuff look him up on facebook. it's kolbeson leatherworks

eta:
he's also one of the FEW manufacturer's out there that DOESN'T copy RAVEN'S DESIGNS

Palmguy
06-02-11, 21:11

Comp-tac and RCS holsters generally will both accommodate smaller guns in the same family.

Steve S.
06-02-11, 22:09
eta:
he's also one of the FEW manufacturer's out there that DOESN'T copy RAVEN'S DESIGNS

No... definitely nothing like RCS. Probably because it's the old "taco" style - not pancake.

If the OP is looking for the taco fold over style, I'd check out CompTac, BladeTech, Galco, and a slew of small shops. Most every gunshow in the US has a vendor there selling the taco style. It's extremely simple to make and requires a lot less materials - and is hardly a new design.

However, the OP mentioned off duty carry. The taco style has it's uses, but concealed carry isn't a spot it shines. My best advice is buy the CompTac MTac while you wait for an RCS rig. Or get the CTAC if you don't like the hybrid designs.

That Kobleson leather looks nice though. I could use a new leather rig. Is there a webstore or some way to order?

Steve S.
06-02-11, 22:14
Now that I think of it... if you do decide to go the taco route.. I had an d Safariland a long time ago that was nice. Didn't conceal well but I loved it for the range. It was Kydex (or so they calm it) with suede lining. You could also adjust the cant and even the ride beige I believe. I know it had a retention screw. It had a nice low ride height good for range trips.

calicojack
06-03-11, 03:13
However, the OP mentioned off duty carry. The taco style has it's uses, but concealed carry isn't a spot it shines.

works well enough for me. i've been carrying in josh's kydex for the better part of a year. easy draw, nice loud click when you holster it, conceals well. but to each their own.

That Kobleson leather looks nice though. I could use a new leather rig. Is there a webstore or some way to order?

http://www.shopleatherworks.com/

rob_s
06-03-11, 05:18
Let's not lose sight of the OP's request and needs:

OWB carry
non-duty use
training use
G17 primary with ability to hold G19 or G26 as backup (presumably if the G17 went down)

With this in mind, appendix, IWB, etc. are sidetrack topics.

First, holsters I would avoid are the Fobus and the Blackhawk Serpa. Too many failures and reported failures to ever feel comfortable with these.

Second, just to be clear, virtually every G17 holster will hold a G19 or a G26 without issue.

Third, if it's a training holster IMO you want to mimic your duty or carry holster as closely as possible in terms of height above beltline, cant, and rotational location about your body. If you CC or duty carry IWB in an FBI-cant at 4 o'clock and then train with a straight-drop at 3 o'clock I believe you are doing yourself a disservice.

Fourth, most people opt for a "training" holster because of comfort issues on the range with their regular holster. Something many people lose sight of though is that a carry holster may have warts that you'll never notice but if you start training with it they may detract from your training. As an example, I took a 2k round in 2-day pistol class where I estimate we drew from the holster 800 times give or take. In 800 drawstrokes the little bit of kydex that stuck down from the triggerguard wore a hole in my social finger. I would NEVER have noticed this using that holster for carry, but using it for training started to affect my grip when drawing. Food for thought.

calicojack
06-03-11, 12:52

OWB carry
non-duty use
training use
G17 primary with ability to hold G19 or G26 as backup (presumably if the G17 went down)

kolbeson offers a variety of holsters including otw. when recommending a product it's usually a good idea to explain what you have used from the manufacturer, your use, and why you like it. sorry if you consider that a side track.

To the OP:
this was the first kolbeson product i ever purchased. he does not make this style any more however. there were some issues with the mounting ears.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/31719_122748184412140_113744765312482_184877_1152558_n.jpg

he has since switched to this type:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/164787_182443101775981_113744765312482_491063_6464320_n.jpg

Warg
06-03-11, 13:31

OWB carry
non-duty use
training use

First, holsters I would avoid are the Fobus and the Blackhawk Serpa. Too many failures and reported failures to ever feel comfortable with these.

Second, just to be clear, virtually every G17 holster will hold a G19 or a G26 without issue.

Third, if it's a training holster IMO you want to mimic your duty or carry holster as closely as possible in terms of height above beltline, cant, and rotational location about your body. If you CC or duty carry IWB in an FBI-cant at 4 o'clock and then train with a straight-drop at 3 o'clock I believe you are doing yourself a disservice.

Fourth, most people opt for a "training" holster because of comfort issues on the range with their regular holster. Something many people lose sight of though is that a carry holster may have warts that you'll never notice but if you start training with it they may detract from your training. As an example, I took a 2k round in 2-day pistol class where I estimate we drew from the holster 800 times give or take. In 800 drawstrokes the little bit of kydex that stuck down from the triggerguard wore a hole in my social finger. I would NEVER have noticed this using that holster for carry, but using it for training started to affect my grip when drawing. Food for thought.

Excellent points as usual, Rob. Indeed, I'd like to mimic and train with what I use on a regular basis for my full size Glock. That's pretty much my philosophy for any piece of hardware or software.

I recently picked up a Raven OWB and wear at 3 o'clock, but have limited experience or training with it to consider it, or me, GTG. Since I'm holster naive, I wasn't sure if a full-size piece would provide enough retention for a shorter Glock and I don't really want to fuss with adjusting retention based on what I want to carry on a particular day. I dig the Raven, but am not wedded to it if there was a similar offering.

Like you, I'm not particularly keen on the Serpas based on the horror stories, e.g., locking up and NDs that I've read.

hank2165
06-03-11, 13:38
OP. The slide holster is ideal for range use with multiple Glocks of the same caliber. I've used it for a few years. Operative words "range use". It helps when I use different pistols at my range and makes switching to my regular C-tac on my training/course belt seamless.
Besides, for the price it's a terrific start. I gave all my Fobus away.

IMHO

glockshooter
06-03-11, 14:03
OP based on your stated needs I believe the CompTac slide holsters are exactly what you are looking for. They make "slides" for OWB and IWB. I have one and it has meet all my needs.

Matt

Nemecsek
06-19-11, 14:50
I had the same problem and I solved it with a Blade Tech holster for the 26. The 26/27 are slightly wider at the frame but, the Blade Tech for the Model 26 has worked perfectly for all three models. I typically go shoot IDPA or USPSA, then remove my 17, pop in my loaded 19 or 26, then off I go. The muzzle is exposed but I have never had the gun pushed up or out despite sitting in a car, movie theatre seat, or whatever. And I run and gun with the same holster without any wobble. Its the same holster I use when off-duty or plain clothes detail (concealed).

sjc3081
06-19-11, 16:17
DELETED

bubba04
06-19-11, 19:12
I have a owb bladetech that I use for idpa. I fits my 17,
19, and 26. I probably will use it with all three guns at different matches this year.

http://www.brownells.com/mobile/aspx/search/sku.aspx?sid=52268&pid=26675