PDA

View Full Version : Sweetest shooting 9mm?

Aud_VDW
10-13-07, 23:52
I thought I would pick ya'll brains and ask in terms of muzzle flip, which one of these do you feel is the sweetest shooting 9mm?

-Sig 226

-CZ-75

-FN Hi-Power

-Glock 19

-HK USP 9

-S&W M&P 9

:confused:

Rana
10-14-07, 00:07
I own a P226 and G19 and have some experience with most of what is on your list.

I would have to say the P226 is still the finest (smoothest) double action service 9mm.

The G17/G19 would be a close (in the smoothest shooting category) second IMHO.

I would not consider any other 9mm for a service gun.

I have never shot a SIG P210 but the way folks talk about it makes me want too.

The H&K P7 series of 9mm are also some really sweet shooters. If they did not BBQ the shooters hand with extended use, I would say they made a great service pistol as well. As a carry piece they are a hit IMO, they are easy to carry concealed and easy to shoot quick & accurate. Price and parts availability also make it a no go as a service style pistol.

I haven't used a M&P but it seems to have a strong following for an upstart design.

When all is said and done I would probably never give up my 1911(s) or my G19. Though the G19 isn't as smooth shooting as the SIG P226, it (the G19) is a great all around working mans pistol.

rhino
10-14-07, 02:46
In terms of muzzle flip, you left the winner off of your list: a 1911 in 9mm.

It's like shooting a .22LR.

The downside is getting one to run properly, but once you do, it's the sweetest shooter you could imagine.

Robb Jensen
10-14-07, 04:10
I thought I would pick ya'll brains and ask in terms of muzzle flip, which one of these do you feel is the sweetest shooting 9mm?

-Sig 226

-CZ-75

-FN Hi-Power

-Glock 19

-HK USP 9

-S&W M&P 9

:confused:

For least recoil and muzzle flip the CZ75 and the M&P9 are going the feel the best.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbpistol-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/danpistol800.jpg

I do agree with Rhino that a 1911 in 9mm is like shooting a Ruger MkII .22lr.

dialM4murder
10-14-07, 08:19
M&P 9 all day long. The M&P line is one of the softest shooting guns made. Its butter.

John_Wayne777
10-14-07, 13:01
My custom Beretta 92FS (customized by Ernie Langdon and AP&W) is still the most pleasant 9mm I own. It's got a great trigger and the action is smooth as glass.

My M&P 9mm is a great gun, but I need more trigger time on it to evaluate it against my Beretta 92.

Guys who proclaim that they hate Berettas usually like my 92....it's a sweet pistol.

Aud_VDW
10-14-07, 13:05
gotm4,

Do you think the added thumb saftey (supposdly coming by the end of the year), and riding the saftey a la 1911, will aid even more in reducing muzzle flip?

Sidewinder6
10-14-07, 16:00
Glock 34 and 147 gr ammo.

Canonshooter
10-14-07, 17:16
Glock G17C (factory compensated);

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/g17c-2.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/g17c-5.jpg

sgtlmj
10-14-07, 18:02
M&P9 is a dream to shoot. I'm also testing a M&P45 and once you get past the horrendous trigger, the recoil is so mild it's surprising.

gaterloco
10-14-07, 18:48
M&P 9. Mine doesn't get any rest at the range, everyone likes to shoot it.

Robb Jensen
10-14-07, 19:18
gotm4,

Do you think the added thumb saftey (supposdly coming by the end of the year), and riding the saftey a la 1911, will aid even more in reducing muzzle flip?

For me one isn't better than the other. As long as you have a good solid proper grip and good stance the gun will move very little.

Just get a good high grip both thumbs pointing forward and you'll be fine. With an old Glockmeister Glock 17 captured stainless guide rod and a 15lb ISMI spring and 147gr loads my M&P9 easily shoots flatter (VERY little flip) than any other 9mm I own. The only pistol I've ever shot a Master class performance (89%) on a classifier was with this M&P9 last Sunday.

(Sometime very soon I'll have a 5" M&P9 that I'll be T&E'ing and I'll writing an article about it)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/bwrobb2.jpg

IrishDevil
10-14-07, 19:28
I own/have owned all of the list. My choice would be the 226, followed by the CZ. I like my M&P9, but I just can't seem to warm up to it. Not on your list, but I really like the Glocks especially the 34. Least favorite on that list is the HK, too bulky for a 9, in my opinion of course.

Looey
10-14-07, 21:16
G17 hands down for me is the best shooting double action/polimer handgun.
for a single action i would agree with the rest, a fine tune 1911 in 9mm will feel like a .22lr IMHO

Lumpy196
10-15-07, 01:17
I'll come back to this once I figure out how to quantify a generic criteria for "sweet shooting."

John_Wayne777
10-15-07, 06:50
I'll come back to this once I figure out how to quantify a generic criteria for "sweet shooting."

Operational definition: "Sweet shooting"

A "sweet shooting" handgun is defined as a weapon that possesses at least two of the following traits:

1. Has a relatively light, clean breaking single action trigger
2. If the weapon is double action, the double action trigger pull is relatively light and smooth.
3. The action of the weapon is relatively smooth, offering predictable and controllable recoil impulse.
4. The weapon is subjectively "easy to use" for the person shooting it.
5. The experience of firing the weapon causes hot chicks to flock to the shooter in a state of heightened amorous intent.

How's that?

Lumpy196
10-15-07, 07:16
Well hell if he wants all that in a 9mm, I say HK P7M8 :cool:

5POINT56
10-15-07, 07:41
To me, the SIG 226 is the finest out of the box 9mm ever made. Might not be perfect in every catagory, but it's as close to perfection as I've ever shot.

Sidewinder6
10-15-07, 12:44
Well hell if he wants all that in a 9mm, I say HK P7M8 :cool:

Yup. I agree and John Wayne's number 5 also.

P7 and Fast Women. Wow. All I need is a Cohiba now. :D

AR-15A3
10-15-07, 15:12
For me the sweetest shooting 9mm is my Sig P226.

My other 9mm are a CZ-75 Swiss made clone and a Glock 19.

I've also had in the past HK P7M8 and Beretta 92FS.

Other 9mm guns I had fired several times that belongs to friends and relatives were, Browning Hi-Power, Browning BDM, Glock 17, Glock 17L, HK P7PSP, S&W 59, Colt 1911, Walther P38 and Luger P08.

jeremy54b
10-21-07, 18:51
I'll add my P228 to that mix. Shoots like the P226, but is easier to carry.

I'll take my G19 over any of them though, not the best in any one area, but the best OVERALL combination of factors.

Batt 57
10-21-07, 20:16
HK P9S

graffex
10-21-07, 22:19
Glock 17/19.

BushmasterFanBoy
10-22-07, 04:07
Beretta 92FS/M9

When you pull the slide back, it is so smooth. No chunky locking block built into the barrel, just smooth glass.

lindertw
10-22-07, 15:44
http://mysite.verizon.net/tlinderman/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/9mm_deux_1.jpg

olds442tyguy
10-22-07, 16:56
Beretta 92FS. I just love the way they shoot.

Failure2Stop
10-22-07, 18:09
Random thoughts on the rest:

-Sig P226/8 229 - And, to be contrarian, I'm no fan of the Sigs. Certainly a reliable piece if maintained. But the high bore axis with increased muzzle flip (esp the newer heavier stainless slides) the DA first shot, SA second, take it off my list of choices (if not issued it).

-FN Hi-Power old design, not easily replaced modular parts, and so need a knowledgable owner/armorer, not out of the box reliable as the newer gen pistols

-HK USP 9 , unergonomic brick, high bore axis, reliable. I used a German Army version, with the clear mags & reversed safety: up is fire down safe (exactly opposite of most all pistols CZ, 1911, etc.).

AMEN! I have to have an hour arument with most non-action shooters about these guns. Sure, they are nice, but they are not 1/2 as good as many that pistols are at 1/2 the price.

The Hi-Power has, in my opinion, the least deserved upper eschelon reputation of any firearm in the world. (That may actually be a bit harsh, but I can't think of one less deserving right now) The ergonomics suck, clearing stoppages sucks, the sights suck, it just . . . sucks.

And then the M9. It's like a fat chick that doesn't put-out. To be fair, I shoot them fairly well, and I have buddies that shoot them better than they shoot high-end 1911s, and they are not bad shots. The biggest reason I dislike them- slide mounted safety/decocking lever. Hitting that bitch reliably out of the holster during one-handed shooting on the move. . . f**k right off. Maybe I should sign up for cosmetic thumb-lengthening surgery? Maybe someone could buy a pistol that the 95 percentile can actually manipulate under stress? How about that?

Whine. . .off.

Robb Jensen
10-22-07, 18:21
AMEN! I have to have an hour arument with most non-action shooters about these guns. Sure, they are nice, but they are not 1/2 as good as many that pistols are at 1/2 the price.

The Hi-Power has, in my opinion, the least deserved upper eschelon reputation of any firearm in the world. (That may actually be a bit harsh, but I can't think of one less deserving right now) The ergonomics suck, clearing stoppages sucks, the sights suck, it just . . . sucks.

And then the M9. It's like a fat chick that doesn't put-out. To be fair, I shoot them fairly well, and I have buddies that shoot them better than they shoot high-end 1911s, and they are not bad shots. The biggest reason I dislike them- slide mounted safety/decocking lever. Hitting that bitch reliably out of the holster during one-handed shooting on the move. . . f**k right off. Maybe I should sign up for cosmetic thumb-lengthening surgery? Maybe someone could buy a pistol that the 95 percentile can actually manipulate under stress? How about that?

Whine. . .off.

I hear you on the Beretta. The 92G Vertec (non safety, the lever is only a decocker) fixed a lot of it ergo problems that the 92FS/M9 has and works very well. That said it'll never be as nice to shoot to me as a Glock or M&P.

olds442tyguy
10-22-07, 18:56

Whine. . .off.
Buy a Taurus.

:D

I've almost bought one a couple times now, but I still can't bring myself to take the plunge when it's time to put up or shut up. I wish Beretta offered a frame mounted safety 4" 92 Centurion with a light rail. :mad:

Failure2Stop
10-23-07, 08:56

What I meant was mass-issue to the .mil.

I got all excited about the SOCOM Pistol Initiative, as it was almost going to work, then it got sh*t-canned for whatever reason (gee thanks big-green), leaving the service pistol just as bad as when it first showed up.

I really think the only reason we make such a big deal out of the broken locking-blocks and such is simply to air our discontent with that POS. Thank you John Browning for the 1911, may you forever bask in my appreciation.

SHIVAN
10-23-07, 09:55
Patrick Sweeney calls the new P30 the smoothest shooting 9mm he's shot. Including +P+ loads.

MX5
10-30-07, 07:26
From the original list I'd have to choose the G19. The 1911 9mm is much better IMHO, but not typically right from the box. I've a pre-70 Colt Commander, straight out of the box, that runs seemingly endlessly. A new 5" S/S loaded Springfield didn't fare as well. The Springfield was a constant pain in the ass from feeding, extraction, ejection, sharp edges. After considerable adjustment, it's now a very reliable, comfortable shooter that is a keeper. A friend of mine acquired an identical Springfield for his wife and it ran like my Commander.

Alpha Sierra
10-30-07, 19:58
Re: slide mounted safeties, I use mine strictly as decockers. I load the pistol, thumb the lever down to decock and immediately back up to the ready position. Then the wepon is holstered. I don't need a safety. That's what the heavy, long, DA pull on the first shot is for.

I have heard that the .mil teaches to keep the lever down when the weapon is holstered. That makes zero sense.

edwin907
10-30-07, 21:47
Never tried a Sig 226, have to put it on my list.

An old 1911 Colt in 9mm with the sweetest trigger I ever felt would have to be #1 in my limited experience book.

#2 is this P7M8.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/P7M8-1.jpg