PDA

View Full Version : Why did you buy an AR...

rob_s
06-02-11, 07:24
...and what have you done with it since?

We have seen lots of people over the years that buy an AR for one reason and wind up doing something completely different with it over time as their experience changes. I'm one of those people, and I'm sure many of you are too.

Some of the threads where new shooters are asking for advice, or new buyers, made me think maybe they could benefit or better understand the advice if they knew that it was based on hard-earned experience (and money hemorrhaging!) and could see the progression of some of the folks that have been shooting longer.

So share your story. Try to be brief but cover the important details and transitions (like if you were only plinking but then discovered three-gun, etc.) and how that affected your gear choices. This isn't necessarily a "this is the gun I started with, this is the gun I use now" picture thread but those kinds of things may help illustrate the point for some folks.

120mm
06-02-11, 07:47
I built my first AR from a M1S kit, and my entire reasoning for doing that was to form a collection of all the guns I'd carried throughout my career. I had fun shooting it, plinking only, and embarked upon a journey of trading, selling and building a series of ARs out of curiousity, mainly. All of which were mainly junk.

The gun I have now, I've built on the theory that someday I'll take a class, while the lower I got in order to support a friend who runs a firearms business and had a limited run of lowers and was having trouble unloading them. It's a DD light barreled mid-length on a Seekins ambi-lower.

I'm building a second gun for my work partner; she just left theater after 4 years of working contracts together, and in a month, while on leave, I will teach her how to put it together, and we'll try to make an effort to take classes together in order to stay connected while she completes her education.

So I guess my current gun is both for professional development and an excuse to see my friend from time to time.

rob_s
06-02-11, 07:49
I started out "poor college student" working at a gunshop during the AWB. I bought an AK first because I couldn't afford an AR, and then a FAL because I didn't want an AR. I used the FAL several times in the infancy of FDCC and started to understand the difference between owning, shooting from a bench, and run-n-gun. and then I bought an AR in pieces from Bushmaster as the funds became available. My uncle was a Gunsite instructor at the time and was building a "poodle shooter scout" rifle putting a scout scope on an AR carbine so I simply mimicked what I saw him doing as he clearly knew more about things than I did. I simply used cheaper parts than he did (Burris instead of Leupold, for example). The truth is that the gun largely sat, and when it did get out to the range it was the public range and used for plinking at bullseye targets at 100 yards and in.

Then I joined ar15.com and got caught up in the Lego/picture-posting phenomena. The only good thing that came from that is that I applied my analytical brain and decided I needed to determine the two most popular types of each part and build two carbines using those types so I could see what I liked for myself. For example, Magpul stock on one, Vltor stock on the other. Aimpoint on one, Eotech on the other. Larue rail on one, Daniel Defense on the other. the list went on from there (I still remember it, if anyone cares). But I knew that ultimately I'd be buying a Colt (because "they" told me to more than any other reason at the time) and upgrading it with the parts I liked best. Of the two guns one was lighter and one was heavier, and what I found was that I preferred lighter by a long shot once I got out and started shooting the guns in informal local matches.

The "poodle shooter scout"
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/1156791rifleright.jpg

Bought two 6520s (and eventually two 6933s which I matched to the 6520s in terms of accessories), converted one to a flattop, put my favorite parts from the experiment on it, and started my own club SFDCC along with beginning to take classes. Learned as much by watching other shooters and their styles, gear, guns, etc. and how they changed them (even in the midst of a class) over time. Found that I enjoyed the competition thing for the way that it can test a wide range of things, from "CQB" to distance shooting. And being in charge meant I got to set up stages that tested the things I wanted to test, both for myself and to observe other shooters (such as the distance stage where one local shooter went through multiple magazines trying to hit a 6" plate at 100 yards and actually ran out of ammo/mags before he got the required number of hits).

The 6520 and 6933 "KISS"
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_0820Small.jpg

The 6520 and 6933 "jocked up"
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_1762-Small.jpg

A couple of years after starting SFDCC we noticed that a lot of shooters could use some help with the fundamentals: from safe gun handling, to manipulations, to trigger control and sight picture, etc. So we added a carbine line to our existing handgun line at drills nights. You learn a LOT by watching other shooters and then actually asking them what they are doing and trying to help them correct their errors. You learn even more with 20-30 of them on the line, every month, for several years. Much of what I saw started to impact my own choices, and I also found that the wide range of applications from classes, to matches, to running a line was informative in guns & gear as some things worked for one but not another.

The 6933 "do all" that is now my #1 carbine
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_3943.jpg

Ultimately what I discovered was that I didn't know what I didn't know when I was starting out, and that as my usage changed so did my gear needs, and that if I simply paid attention to the changes in my usage and how the gear meshed with that most of my questions answered themselves. At my first carbine class Pat Rogers said "mission drives the gear train", and at the time I had no clue what the hell he was talking about. Now I have a carbine that is outwardly very plain but is also very particular in how it is set up and which meets literally all of my personal needs. In the type of usage that I regularly find myself employing an AR, this carbine does it all. But it took going from "I should own an AR" to "I should shoot my AR" to "I should go use my AR" to "I should try to use my AR in many different ways" to arrive there.

hellbound
06-02-11, 07:53
I got a great deal on it and was trying to save money over shooting my FAL. I also bought it for the "look" and I spent a lot of money on ARMS SIR and mounts.

Over the years I started to care more about practical accuracy as opposed to small groups (IE: hitting a clay pigeon at 100yds offhand). As time progressed I moved away from traditional one eye closed shooting and became more concerned with faster target acquisition and follow up shots. The final push was to shed weight/length for a more maneuverable rifle. I've done some local practical shoots and would like to do more. Time and money (and knee surgeries) willing I'd eventually like to attend a few carbine courses.

I think my final setups are near perfect for what I want.

Coincidentally, I just posted a thread like this in the build it yourself forum.

Failure2Stop
06-02-11, 07:53
I buy ARs because I am intimately familiar with them. I have used them in training, qualification, competition, and combat.
I do not think that they are perfect, just close enough to stay ahead of all other 5.56 carbines on the market, if only due to their ability to be extensively customized.
I can deal with the ARs "warts", and have no need to significantly modify the operating system, so at this point I have no compelling reason to own anything other than ARs.

What have I done with them?
I have been on a constant mission to achieve AR nirvana. The perfect balance, and everything that implies.
The most significant influence on layout and setup was employment. As my skill grew the more particular I became about certain features, and the more frustrated I would get when there were clear holes in available products to meet my needs.
I would say that one of the most significant changes to come to my weapons is the strong preference for low-powered variable optics. I loved Aimpoints after a brief tryst with EoTech, but once I got behind a Short Dot I realized that it fit with what I could do with an AR better than any other solution I had ever used.

kwelz
06-02-11, 07:55
Good topic!

I hat to say it but I purchased my first AR because they were "Cool". This was back in 1998 or so and I really didn't know better. I started off fairly well with a colt Sporter but Sadly sold it and had a series of Bushmasters and DPMS after that. I never did much except shoot dirt and went through a number of years of just collecting without much shooting.

Starting in 2009 or so I found this place and started asking some really stupid questions and doing some real reading. I sold off all of the crap I owned and purchased my current ARs which consist of a nice Mix of Noveske, DD, Colt, and BCM parts and full guns.

More importantly than the quality of guns I have purchased is what I am doing with them however. I attend classes monthly and am finally starting to learn how to use these tools I have spend far to much money on!

I wasted thousands if not 10s of thousands of dollars over the years on guns and ammo. I cringe when I think of all the good ammo I sent downrange into dirt with no real target or purpose. I am actually more upset about that than I am the money wasted on the guns.

I no longer purchase ARs. Oh I am sure if one really caught my attention I would. But I prefer to spend my limited funds on training and making sure I am proficient with what I have.

Terlingueno
06-02-11, 08:10
I like to build things. So I built an AR carbine as a truck gun to compliment my AKM.
http://i52.tinypic.com/5lyql1.jpg

C4IGrant
06-02-11, 08:22
Bought a RRA Varmint Rifle (for hunting purposes). Then bought a BM M17 because I thought it looked cool. :jester:

Then I discovered firearms training and was hooked. As my shooting knowledge expanded my ability to pick guns and gear that best served a "defensive" purpose grew.

The evolution is still ongoing by the way. I am currently consumed with Suppressed SBR's as I attend a lot of CQB/HD schools and appreciate a compact, reliable weapon in confined spaces.

C4

TX Rancher
06-02-11, 08:24
Originally the AR filled a role as a ranch rifle, replacing a Ruger Mini 14. The AR purchased, a RRA, was more accurate and easier to clean. It fit well in the truck behind the seat, on my 4 wheeler, and occasionally joined me on horseback (although the Ruger was better for horseback).

I was familiar with the AR style from military experience, so that made it a natural choice for me. There is a plethora of loadings/manufacturers for 223/5.56 at reasonable prices...at least when compared to similar cartridges.

The primary use is still as a ranch rifle. Raising cattle can sometimes require keeping on top of the varmint/predators. Skunks and racoons can be a problem around feeders. Coyotes, wild dogs, and feral hogs are an issue with calf's. But it's also branched out into self defense.

I've also found I enjoy taking tactical style courses. Taking a two or three day carbine course is something I try to do as often as I can. I picked up an AK style rifle, but find the AR manual of arms is so instilled in me I just never felt at home with the AK, so I pretty much stick to the AR for all classes and practice.

As I've learned more, my choice in platforms has changed. While my old RRA is still in service (why not, it works) I've added KAC, Wilson Combat, POF, and Colt to the stable. I'm currently looking into picking up either a DD or a Noveske. I've also added 6.8 SPC and 308 to the mix to increase knock-down power and effective range (the hogs have become smarter and ranges have increased).

Since the primary use is more aligned with hunting some would say a good bolt gun would be better. I may get better range/accuracy out of a bolt, but the versatility of the AR far outweighs any downsides. For instance, I can take my "day" weapon, change to a night vision scope, put the IR illuminator on the front of the rail, and I'm ready when the sun goes down...and all I had to do was throw some levers.

I suspect the majority of folks will respond with the primary use being competition, self defense, SHTF, LEO/Mil, etc. since those are the general trends in the threads I've seen. So my primary use as a ranch rifle is out of step with the majority and that's the main reason I responded to your post since I feel that while it's not a mainstream use of the AR platform, it is still a viable one and worth noting.

Hump66
06-02-11, 08:46
I bought mine primarily to familiarize myself with the weapon before joining the Navy. It spent it's early life as a varmint gun, then it was a "how many accessories can I fit on here" gun. Now that I'm out, I'm taking classes and it has changed my outlook on what I need. It's been put on a diet, shortened, and suppressed. It is now my primary HD weapon, with nothing but a Surefire 6P and an Aimpoint. K.I.S.S.

OldState
06-02-11, 08:47
I had been in the market for an AR-15 8 years ago with the original intent of going the CMP route. As 2004 approached I figured I'd wait to see if the AWB sunset. But when it did, AR's got hard to get...then the 2008 election. Finally, the market got soft and I bought one.

I bought a carbine instead of a target rifle because I had recently joined another gun club that was big into practical/defensive shooting for both pistol and rifle. I bought the rifle I did (6920) because I found this website during my research.

My original club has incredible facilities but is geared towards the traditional shooting sports (CMP, NRA High Power, "Bullseye" pistol, Trap, Skeet, Sporting clays, etc) and most there roll their eyes at the "tactical" crowd. They did win the NRA's award for best club in the US twice since 1998.

I still intend to give CMP a try and 3-Gun looks interesting but I made a commitment to become more proficient with defending myself with a firearm so for the next year I will be taking several carbine and pistol classes.

I'm still a member at the old club as I personally need some type of competitive environment to keep my interest and I like to hang with both crowds. Plus I still feel the shotgun sports are the most fun a person can have with a gun.

But for the near future my carbine and pistol are top priorities.

Doc Safari
06-02-11, 09:29
I am a rancher in the border area of our desert Southwest and things are becoming more dangerous around here. I am by no means a mall ninja. I just like to be prepared. I intend to avoid confrontation if I can. I am ex law enforcement and I still maintain that mental edge of being ready. I don't sleep with a pistol under my pillow, but I know fellow ranchers that do.

Why the M4?

1. I'm tired of "battle rifles" like the M1A that are too heavy. I am getting too old to lug an HK91 or M1A around the ranch.

2. I do not care for the AK, and the AR is more politically correct in case I'm involved in an incident that becomes public. A jury is more likely to look less favorably on a rancher with an AK because it's perceived as the bad guy's weapon. I won't argue if that is right or wrong. It's just that the media has done a wonderful job of demonizing the AK. Add to that: even if the AK wasn't such a hot potato, most of the manufacturers make them to be legal first and quality second. They don't follow a TDP or similar specs like a tier 1 AR maker. I am about convinced that with few exceptions that most civilian legal AK's are range toys.

This is why I needed to select a quality M4 that is likely to hold up in an actual combat scenario, and why I appreciate this site for its members, expertise, and advice.

3. I don't care for the Mini 14 or Mini 30 either even though they might be even more politically correct than the M4. I have just heard too many negatives about them.

4. Once I'm able to get training, I think most classes focus on AR's. Can you even take a class other than with Suarez that teaches use of another weapon?

5. Eventually I will sell the ranch and move to town when I retire, and due to its popularity the M4 will probably retain its resale value more than other firearms. That is another reason to own top tier weapons.

tnt1106
06-02-11, 09:30
I started with my first AR a little over a year ago, a DDXV.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/thytim1111/Gunz/DSCI0117.jpg

I purchased this rifle with the intent to learn the AR system, and then to sign up and take classes to become as proficient as possible for a civilian. I am mainly concerned with defense of my family, home, and self of course. I could see where this could lead into competition and matches, ect.

Currently I instruct High Performance Driving, and race Time Attack. If I can pry away from this hobby (read: $$$ and time), that should allow me more time for the training I would like to start.

More on my DDXV: I have the itch to add another AR, however 5k rounds into the DDXV, it has yet to fail me. (It started its life on the cheapest ammo I could find [Russian steel cased], and with in 200 rounds has been tuned to run this plus anything else I can put through it, that is another subject altogether though. I want the rifle to be dependable with any ammo I may have to use at any point, and this has been achieved.)

Current set up:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/thytim1111/Gunz/2011-04-26_20-58-14_10.jpg

For me, the doubled value of learning a skill that can protect others as well as self, combined with recreational value (range time, classes and matches) makes the entire experience well worth it.

I would like to thank all of the members here that have passed on all the knowledge that allowed me to make an educated first choice and continue to further help me with making well thought out choices.
Especially rob_s and C4IGrant for answering or providing such detailed knowledge for a newcomer like myself.

polydeuces
06-02-11, 09:44
Started with a Garand and M1 carbine, for sentimental reasons (it's what the GI's carried who liberated my home-town: since it's impractical to collect tanks and B24/B17's), fun shooting but spendy..

One day at the range someone let me shoot an AR. To say I was hooked is an understatement. The clouds parted, the sun broke though and the angels were singing.......
Best shooting fun I've had, ever, period.
Then while taking a 3-day pistol class one of the instructors said something like, "...anything worth pointing a gun at should be pointed a rifle at..."
Which made me think. Went out and got the best deal possible on a seperate assembled upper/lower CMMG, (2 weeks before Obama election, just before all went apeshit!) then found this here forum, humbly read and learned, that and some "how to" DVD's, learned on and sold the CMMG, got some Noveske & DD stripped receiver sets, bunch o' loose parts and barrels, badabing!
Then took all the shit of my rails, iron sights only, until I've mastered those, then maybe add what's needed.

jhs1969
06-02-11, 10:00
I first got into ARs because that is what the military used and I've always been a military weapon groupie. I started weeks after my graduation in '87, it was a Colt Hbar. I had already owned several M1's, M1 carbines and 1911's. I got started in high power shooting and thought that would be my cup of tea, however I quickly tired of the position shooting as it had little practical value in the field. Although I had owned about 6 Colts, ranging from Hbars, Govt barrels and carbines I fell into the "BM is best" crowd through most of the 90s and TOS only supported that line of thinking.

After finding this site I slowly began to understand BM's true place in the AR world and why it is there. I began the task of upgrading in a big way. I started out with a LMT because at the time 6920s were $1900-2000. I eventualy got the 6920, which is now my primary, and gave the LMT to my wife, who wanted something different and sold it. I felt wanting in only having one carbine and now am within about a month of completing a BCM carbine.

As far as use the carbine plays a very large role home protection and critter control. As such I've added a KAC RAS in order to mount a vfg, and surefire light and a RDS. Here I briefly tried a Holosight and found it wanting. I eventually got an Aim Point ML2 and was satisfied for the most part. After 3-4 ML2s I upgraded the 6920 with a M4s AP and am completely satisfied with both speed and acuracy. The ML2 now equips a S&W MP15-22 that serves as a low buck trainer.

As time and money permits I plan on equiping the BCM and searching out a good instructor to supplement my "self training".

Mr. Smith
06-02-11, 10:09
The first AR I bout was an Armalite I knew a guy that worked for theme and he knew more than me.

So I bought a 16inch carbine and it was fine but not what I thought it would be so I sold the gun.

I then stayed out of the AR world I thought that black guns were all the same until I bought a Colt M16.

It was a nice gun and I shot thousands of rds out of the gun with no real understanding.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Joes%20class%20kit/100_1626.jpg

Then I started my research and lots of sources pointed to G&R so I called got Grant he sold me an upper and optic but I got so much more.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Joes%20class%20kit/100_3382.jpg

I have never been the same it just gets crazier from there to the place I am now.

Thanks Grant

Packman73
06-02-11, 10:21
The first time I shot my brother-in-law's AR-15, I shot a can up a hill with 5 quick, consecutive shots while it was bouncing around. I could not believe how easy it was to shoot/manage. I was hooked.
I started with a RRA and since then have owned several others. I've never had the $ or time for any type of classes so I learned what I could from my SWAT team member brother-in-law and from videos and forums like this.
Basically, I just love to plink with AR-15s and a little hunting coyotes or whatever.
I have my AR-15s set up the way I do partly because it's functionally prudent for TEOTWAWKI and because I like the way things look too.

zxd9
06-02-11, 10:25
My first two rifles were a Mosin M44 and an SKS. I thought it would be interesting to continue the Russian line of firearms and purchased an AK47. While loads of fun to shoot I found the AK lacking in accuracy and optic mounting options. I sold it and all my ammo to finance an RRA Elite CAR A4.

I mostly just target shoot but have used it for deer hunting and one tactical competition.

Eventually for the sames reasons I sold the AK, I sold the M44 and SKS to get a Savage .308.

f.2
06-02-11, 10:28
Purchased a 6920 for practice and to increase proficiency with my work rifle, and home defense. This was back in June 2005, before the 6920 became "the one". I set it up as similar as possible: CompM2 4MOA, Vortex fh, Eagle 3 pt sling, and USGI magazines. Only differences: Troy buis, Aimpoint LaRue qd mount, single heat sheild Colt handguards, and it was sent to Specialized Armament for Ken Elmore's reliability package (http://www.specializedarmament.com/pages/2010_RP.html), specializedarmament.com/. Everything else is stock. It has stood the test of time and set up has not changed in more than 6 years.

jklaughrey
06-02-11, 10:32
Probably because God helps those who help themselves! Being a proponent of 2A rights and the defense of my own and family's well being I own firearms. I figured God would approve of an AR pattern style weapon since he loves America. An AK is out of the question...God hates Commies!:D

Quiet-Matt
06-02-11, 10:38
It was what our military used, what I was intrigued by as a young man, and what I was eventually issued. With the rifles I was issued, other than the basics, I eventually came to the realization that I didn't know jack about it. I purchased my first (RRA, I kept the lower receiver and SBR'd it), and learned alot about what makes a good quality AR:rolleyes:. Slowly rotated the guns to reliable assemblies with quality components from the likes of BCM, DD, LMT etc. Learned a ton from studying this site, researching reputible sources and by trial and error. The AR's I have now are for one purpose, defense of the lives of my family. This is why I train with them, and have become intimately familiar with them. My wife and son are totally on board and supportive of me and the shit that others view as crazy. It is common place for my family to see Daddy doing drills while watching YoGabbaGabba or the news. I pray that I never have to use my AR to defend my home and loved ones, or draw my pistol in self defense. I do, however, rest easier knowing that I have taken the steps to prepare for that day if it comes. I chose the AR because it is a beautifully simple and elegant home grown American tool that has proven itslef for half a century.

hikeeba
06-02-11, 10:40
I bought an AR when I was shooting at an indoor range on a weekly basis. I bought it because ever since I first laid my eyes on a real one when I was in 7th grade, I wanted one. Shooting every week at an indoor range that only allowed pistol calibers translated to me getting the most use out of a pistol caliber AR. I owned two calibers of firearms at the time: .22 and 9mm. After renting the range's 9mm AR and talking to the guys there extensively, I acquired one for myself. I enjoyed it a lot at the indoor range; just plinking targets more or less.

A few years after acquiring my 9mm AR, I got into a private rod & gun club that had more amenities including 100- and 200-yard rifle ranges. Getting into the club launched me into the 5.56 AR-15 realm. I've always wanted to participate in our club's CMP program, but it has been difficult to find the time to do so.

I generally shoot for enjoyment, but over the last 1.5 to 2 years, the AR-15 platform has become a hobby for me in and of itself. In late 2009 I decided I wanted to step up a notch from my DPMS/Del-Ton rifles to something else; preferably something 'better.' Due to a limited budget, I decided to build rather than buy complete. Thanks in large to M4C, I defined my mission, researched and acquired parts, techniques, and resources, and successfully assembled a rifle that I am truly happy with. The entire process opened up a whole other dimension to the AR platform for me. before my build, I knew what happened when I pulled the trigger. After the build, I know how, where, and why things happen when the trigger is pulled.

Now that I have a basic understanding of how the platform works, my next step is to incorporate myself into the equation. I had hoped to enroll in a basic carbine class this year, but it looks like I'll have to start looking at next year. I have no military or LEO background, and I don't feel I need to take classes in preparation for the impending alien-zombie apocalypse. I just figure that now that I have the tools I should learn more about how they can be applied. The path of self-improvement is never-ending.

black op
06-02-11, 10:49
I first purchased my AR back in the late 90's. I went with an Armalite it was a flat top with removable sites front and back and A2 stock. The only thing I did with that AR was add a sling, change the grip, and top it with a red dot. My second purchase was again an Armalite flat top but this time I bought it with out removable sites and a retractable stock. I bought it that way specifically for 3 gun. So, I put some BUIS and a red dot with a 3x magnifier, single point sling, changed the FS to a custom comp, and changed the grip (I do no like the standard A2 grips). No for my 3rd AR I am doing a semi build project. I am going with a 14.5 BCM upper and Lower, standard trigger, BCG is still up in the air, will still go with the MIAD grip, some kind of red dot (looking at the Aimpoint micro T or H-1, Comp is up in the air but leaning towards Battle Comp, and leaning towards MAgpul furniture with a flashlight attachment on the forend. Third gun will be the do all gun training, 3-gun, SHTF etc. My second AR will be the one I shoot my 22LR out of with my conversion kit. It will serve for teaching my boys how to shoot rifles and so forth as well as serve as a back up.

Eric D.
06-02-11, 10:50
Being male, firearms always had a kind of allure for me. I wasn't raised with guns but I was always looking up pictures on the internet and goofy things like that. I shot a .22 at Boy Scout Camp one summer but that was the limit of my firearms nurturing as a child. My eighteenth birthday was quickly approaching and I was set on buying a gun. At the time I still accepted the stigma of AR's being picky and unreliable. I knew I wanted a, for lack of a better term, "military" rifle. I started with an AK that I paid $950 for during the '08 election. I was sold on the AK being more reliable and more rugged. Not to mention I just thought it was cool. The longer I had it I realized I just didn't like it. It was just ugly if nothing more. In researching the different makes of AK's I found out that they're all made from foreign parts kits built on US made receivers. I wanted to know the origin of the parts in my gun and I wanted something "nicer". I sold the AK and put the funds toward a BM HBAR carbine. I had that gun for about a year before I found this site. I've since sold the BM upper for a BCM and put a DD lpk in the BM lower. I've been shooting that setup as much as I can and I look forward to taking some classes. Its easy to get carried away with gear and I've tried to pull the reigns in a bit. Its helpful to see other members' setups that really reflect their experience and knowledge. I have a lot to learn about becoming a shooter and I look forward to gaining that knowledge and experience.

usmc1371
06-02-11, 11:07
Bought my first ar while I was on deployment, while every one else was chatting with the gf I was ordering a Les Baer super varmint .204. I actully bought my ar while holding a M16a2. My goal was a very accurate rifle for high volume sage rat shooting at extended ranges and thats exactly what I got. Now six years later I am building pretty much the exact opposite ar, a 16" middy bcm/lmt combo for local matches and for a truck gun for coyotes and such.
Love my LBC but it weighs a ton, has a 26" barrle, and is very single purpose. But, if my life depended on me hitting a chicken egg at 300 yards its the rifle I would reach for.

Watrdawg
06-02-11, 11:20
I've always had guns and grew up as an Army brat. I entered tinto the Army after college and when I got out I knew I wanted an AR. My 1st AR was a Colt HVY Barrel 16" Sporter back in the late 90's. I sold it about 2years later. Ever since then I wanted another one and flirted with a few of them. Mainly RRA. At the time that was the company that I had heard was best. I never did pull the trigger though, all puns intended of course. Last July i finally got serious and started looking at various forums. I found M4C right off the bat and signed up. After reading various threads I let out a big sigh of relief that I hadn't purchased a RRA or Bushmaster or other similar weapon. I ended up putting together a BCM 14.5" Middy with Troy Buis, an Eotech 553 on top of a LMT lower and swapping out the stock trigger for a Geiselle SSA. I've since added a UBR stock, Troy stubby VFG, Surefire X300 and swapped out the Eotech for a T1.

My main purpose with this rifle is HD, training classes and all around shooter. If I ever do get involved in a SHTF scenerio this will be my go to rifle also. I have not done any competitions yet but plan to. I'll probably start out with this rifle and go from there.

SteveL
06-02-11, 11:56
I have no military or LE background. I bought my first AR from a friend around 7 or 8 years ago. At the time I bought it because I thought it was cool and I wanted to look like one of the cool mall ninjas. It was a ban era BM, but I didn't know any better and I don't think he did either. I mean it was a Bushmaster and everyone knows the name so it must be one of the best, right? :rolleyes: Of course then I had to put a bunch of accessories on it, including a compact ACOG, a Surefire rail system and variation of the M900 that I don't think they make any more. I took the rifle to the range one whole time while I owned it and I don't think I even shot 200 rounds through it. I eventually ended up piecing it out and selling it to fund another project (non-firearm related).

A few years later I started getting more into shooting than I had ever been before, though I still don't get to do as much as I'd like. I found this site and it was an eye-opener to say the least. I had already sold off a Beretta 92FS and decided to also sell off my Hk USP .45 and go with a standard platform of M&P pistols in 9mm. I figured it was better to have 9mm's I could afford to practice with than a .45 that was too big to carry and that I never shot.

Of course it wasn't long after that I started getting the itch to buy another AR. I took a different approach this time. I decided I wanted the best rifle I could get. I live on Florida's east coast and a Katrina situation is not outside the realm of possibility here. It seems owning a good defensive rifle would only make sense. After doing a lot of reading here my first choice was to buy a KAC SR-15. That ended up not working out for several reasons so I decided to build a rifle instead. I had never attempted anything like this before, and was initially very intimidated by the idea. After a lot more reading and learning and asking questions I ended up ordering an complete upper assembly and building my own lower out of quality parts. My rifle is now complete for all intents and purposes. If you're interested in seeing what it consists of or looks like you can read about it here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79511). As far as accessories I decided just a white light, a RDS, and a sling were all I'd ever need for any application I could reasonably foresee. All I'm lacking is the RDS and it should be here the end of next week. I'm still hoping to get into a pistol and carbine class this year or early next year so I can better apply the tools I now own should the need ever arise.

rocsteady
06-02-11, 12:18
Have been in law enforcement for almost five years and trained mainly with our issued Glock, a 10mm MP5 and the good ol' 870 shotgun. Was expecting to transition to the M4 but when that didn't happen, decided to get my own AR, a BCM mid16, mod 2.
Have only had it a few months but have thoroughly enjoyed getting used to it.
My brother and I refer to the ARs as our "Katrina Guns" so it follows that it's original purpose was for SHTF/HD but I didn't expect to enjoy shooting it this much.
Sadly, our unit does not get nearly enough formal tactical training with any long guns so I am trying to stretch my meager gov. salary to allow me to take advantage of all the great civilian training that is currently available. Would like to continue down that avenue to include some three gun competition in the not-so-distant future.
I'd also like to add that you guys have been an unbelievable source of information and entertainment since I discovered the world of the AR. Thanks to everyone who takes the time and effort to share their knowledge and experience with us newbies.

Inuvik
06-02-11, 12:29
A few of my friends purchased various AR's, and I decided to purchase one as well. I have been into firearms for a long time, but mostly inexpensive (SKS, .22 LR, Etc.) type stuff.

On the advice of one of my "expert" friends, I purchased a stripped lower, with plans to put a DPMS 16" bull barreled upper on it. Fortunately, in the meantime, I discovered M4C, and realized the error of that plan. I am very pleased with everything about the BCM 16" carbine I now have.

I will admit that I initially got the gun because I thought it was cool, and had no real plans for what to do with it. However, since then, I have realized just how modular, easy to carry, and easy to use the platform is. I have already used it for hunting, and have plans for training in the future.

SGTMAJ
06-02-11, 12:29
It was the weapon I was introduced to in the military. I have over 30 years experience with its design, its modifications, its strong points as well as its weak ones. I have trusted my life to it on more than one occasion. Now retired I would still trust my life to it and more importantly the lives of my family. I am still learning every day and what I learn I practice in order to practice I need quality military proven weapons and equipment thats why I have a Colt 6920

ra2bach
06-02-11, 12:34
I chose the AR for it's simplicity, commonality and abundance of parts, and price of ammunition and components.

I started as a hunter, and then a shooter building and handloading for accurate bolt guns from the bench. then about 15 years ago I got into Highpower shooting with a match service rifle.

when IDPA was introduced to my area, I took to it like a duck to water and started attending training in defensive type uses. my shooting became dynamic instead of sitting on my butt.

I soon realized the limitations of a pistol and looked for something more suited for home and property defense. I never liked the shotgun and my 20" heavy barrel, A2 service rifle was not going to cut it so I sold it off and picked up an Armalite LE carbine with plastic handguards which I used for a long time with no complaints.

when BCM first made the 16" middy available I sold off the 1/9 Armalite carbine upper and replaced with a BCM middy and added a Troy rail, G2 light, A5 RE/buffer and Vltor Emod. it had a C3 Aimpoint but now wears an Aimpoint PRO. it was good but I felt it was heavier than I liked for it's purpose. since then my guns have gotten smaller and lighter.

I have a BCM LW middy with an 11" TRX Extreme rail over a shaved FSB with Troy folding BUIS, front and rear. this is my "walking around" rifle and wears a Millett 1-4 scope though for awhile I did a "proof of concept" and had the Aimpoint PRO and also an Eotech with a magnifier in a flip-mount behind.

my go-to gun is a 14.5" DD M4 with 12"FSP rail, Magpul AFG, TLR1s light at 12 o'clock, DD fixed rear sight, T-1 Aimpoint, TD grip, and CTR stock. it is light enough and shoots very well and could easily be my one and only if it came to that...

badness
06-02-11, 13:29
1st reason) I am a firearms enthusiest and wanted to support my 2nd ammendment right.

2nd reason) In case there is some national ban on assualt weapons again, i wanted 1 or 2 to be grandfathered in.

3rd reason) SHTF. I wanted a rifle in case shit ever does hit the fan, perhaps something even worse than the aftermath of hurricane katrina.

4th reason) I like to hold it while in my underwear and stare at myself in the mirror and think to myself "damn, i'm a bad ass".

ok maybe reason #4 is a little exaggerated.

fhk96
06-02-11, 13:40
Initially I had no interest in rifles of any kind as grew up using shotguns. As I got older became interested in other firearms and wanted to try out a rifle. I bought my first rifle, which was an AR about three years ago and since I wanted something different than what my friends had I went out of my way to assemble a Vietnam era A1 (I believe it is important to master iron sights). Got an old surplus Colt A1 with triangles and related furniture.

Since I have tried out various rifles and have settled primarily on the AR and Kalashnikov platform. However, still a fan of the scattergun:D

Veracity
06-02-11, 13:43
I bought my first AR back in the summer of 07.

There were two reasons:

1) I felt I needed something more than a pistol for home defense.

2) There was something in the back of my mind telling me that one day, they'd be unavailable.

Since then, I have sought out other like-minded people, taken many classes, and tried to learn as much as I could about the weapons system and how to fight with it.

Cobra66
06-02-11, 13:43
I purchased my first AR (a Colt Target Sporter A2) in 1994. The main reason was that I was about to be commissioned into the Army and figured that I should train with what was to be my issued weapon (same reason I bought an M9). During my training, I became fond of the M16A2, so it was not hard to convince myself that this would be a nice range gun as well. I did a lot of practice with it and shot a few inter-service rifle matches with it. Along the way I really got to like the AR platform and purchased a pre-ban bushy carbine because all the cool guys had M4s and CAR15s. Never really liked it as much as my A2. I hung onto it and then sold it when all the Obama BS started.

Since the sunset of the crime bill and the work arounds that have been developed in Kalifornia, I have picked up a new and better S&W carbine, built a .22LR carbine, and built a SPR. These three have now become my primary shooting guns and my old A2 is kept for sentimental/collector reasons and just in case I ever shoot a service rifle match again. I am no longer in the military and my job does not allow the carriage of a rifle, so my main interest with these guns revolves around recreation and study the "martial art" of shooting in the event of a SD or SHTF situation.

Also, because as a member of the unorganized militia, it is my constitutionally appointed patriotic duty. ;)

militarymoron
06-02-11, 13:58
i've always been interested in firearms since i was a kid, and the M16/AR was the one i always liked the look of. being a smaller guy, the battle rifles were a bit heavy (i was a scrawny kid), so the AR seemed like the best first purchase. i bought a colt AR15A2 when they were first introduced - around '85 or '86 - don't remember exactly. second one was a used colt carbine 16" lightweight barrel on a 1967 SP1 lower, after i saw 'platoon'.
i sold the A2 a long time ago, but still have the SP1, which i put a rail on.
my high school buddies were all into shooting, so i wanted my own stuff. there weren't that many AR companies in the 80's, other than colt and quality parts (bushmaster), so i later got a couple of those too. i also started tinkering with them - building uppers from parts bought at gun shows (usually from ken elmore at his SAW table) in the late 80's as well.

Vegas
06-02-11, 14:01
Despite growing up in the U.K., or maybe because of it, I always had an interest in shooting as a kid. The concept of marksmanship and the ability to make hits at longer ranges fascinated me. Even though I have lived in the US permanently since 2000 I only got round to buying my first guns last year after a visit of a friend from the U.K. I took him to a local range and we both shot a Colt they had there with some kind of ACOG on it. I instantly recognized that it might be close to as much fun as you could have with your clothes on! We went again during his trip and after that I started researching AR's. In the meantime, I bought my first handgun whilst I did my reading as the wife and I had recently been discussing HD.

My research bought me here and ironically, I never really looked at TOS. I liked the tone of this site, more serious in nature, and had no need to look elsewhere. I learned a lot here from you guys, which I am very grateful for. This learning lead me to the Daniel Defense upper I bought with an Omega X 9.0 rail. Early on I realized all the gizmo's one could put on an AR would add up to a lot of money spent and probably a waste of time. Initially I was going to get a set of Magpul handguards for simplicity and only went with the rail because I got a great price on it. Currently it sits with an AFG2 attached which I am still deciding on whether I like it. It is growing on me. I am shooting irons for now as I learn and save for the aimpoint I have been looking at. Eventually, I will find a weapon light to add and be done.

Going back to the why, aside from the fun of shooting, HD is a main reason. I'd rather have my rifle pointed at my bedroom door if someone was trying to come through it to get to me and my wife. Training interests me as does competition for fun and a further excuse to put more rounds downrange. I mentioned shooting at longer ranges which right now would be anything over 100 yards :p I do intend to shoot further out and try to learn accuracy up to the effective range of an AR. This is my goal. Once I master that, I could see me stepping up a caliber. There are plans at the local county range to put in a 1200 yard range :) Baby steps first though.

For more why, as already noted, the AR's modular setup and pure choice of parts was a reason. This is both bad and good as you have to sort the wheat from the chaff. Price was a factor too. I really like the ACR system from an aesthetic standpoint but for twice the cost, what does it do that an AR doesn't? I couldn't justify that purchase when I could get an optic and ammo with the extra cash.

So that is it in a nutshell. Now I just need to find more time to get out and shoot :)

Daekwan
06-02-11, 14:11
I bought my first one in 2009 out of pure curiousity. I honestly didnt even think they were available off the shelf, as had always figured they were some kinda of NFA item that was tightly controlled by the powers that be (i.e., suppressors, machine guns, grenade launchers). I was pretty surprised buying one was just as simple as buying a handgun, and possibly even simpler considering you can buy just the stripped lower and finish the build yourself.

I also figured owning an AR would be a great investment, considering the AWB has come and gone.. but could come back at anytime.. making mine more valuable. Looking more into getting one, I learned about classes you take with them, range & competition shooting to participate in, that people hunting with them and that there really are some HD purposes to owning one. I've owned a handgun since 1997, but never understood the world of 'assault rifles' as the general public would call them. I always thought of them as zombie weapons for the Rambo-wannabes. But those ideas have certainly changed greatly.

Now that I'm alot more educated on the AR platform & firearms in general. I cant stop buying them. I purchased a 2nd one last year and have already purchased another upper this year. I have plans to buy atleast 2 more in the new couple of years.. a factory SBR and I'll probably pickup one in .308 (the Colt 901 is at the top of my list). I've spread my knowledge of the platform, and did my part to reduce the "scare" of them among many friends & family. The most common question I've gotten was "Why do you need that" and once you start explaining all the possibilities.. I've had a few even look into getting their own. I've also met many new friends in the AR world and introduce the platform to as many new shooters as possible. Its amazing how many females enjoy shooting one.

I've looked into a few other platforms, but I keep coming back to the AR. Whoever called it the black rifle disease wasnt lying, these things are as addictive as they are fun. Hopefully I'll get to take a carbine class this year.. and see what the rifle (and myself) are really capable of.

sadmin
06-02-11, 14:19
Initially I purchased an AR, just to have an AR. It was an Oly Arms, around 1999 or so. It was rarely shot, mostly paraded around during Holiday "get-togethers" with family members. If there was going to be shooting going on, my SKS or MAK-90 was what I took.

Current POTUS hits the ballot. The craziness begins and I join arfcom due to it being the first site that pops up if you google ar15. Looking at others pictures I decide that its definitely NOT the Indian, and my arrow needs some serious upgrades. I purchase my second AR, a Stag. It had an Eotech 512, Surefire rail, and dripped with coyote tan CAA accessories. :( I shoot it from the bench once a month and shoulder it daily. I buy 7 more ARs of various flavors, but keeping in with the apparent "weight means nothing" theme I had going. I was just gun grabbing and putting the newest, highest rated parts on them. It was very expensive.

One post on that site mentioned M4C, I searched that, joined, and started to get my head on straight. I read Doc's articles on the caliber and its effectiveness in an HD scenario and it changed my perspective. I began to see that training was pushed heavily on this site so I sought that out. My gun began to mirror my needs during training, rather than mirror what others were doing. I didnt want to be a poser, taking pictures of my AR next to my bacon sandwich or something. I wanted to shoot it, to get training, know its parts, how to clean / repair it, and where im holding it back due to lack of training. I got realistic with myself and my position as a regular joe-blow and began shedding many of the upgrades that thought I had to have.

I embarrassingly can admit that I bought AR's just to say I had ARs; as I rarely shot them. I now shoot for fun, training, and light competition. To me, its my weapon that I have invested real time and elbow grease in, unlike every other I have, that allows me to feel a little more proficient with it. I realize im still a beginner, but thats a huge step from not knowing that I was a beginner. The carbine that is out of the safe for my families' safety is a BCM 14.5 Mid-length. FSB, VTAC rail, and HDS RA light.

The 3 items that had the most impact on me were:
1) the phrase (dont recall whom said it) owning a carbine doesnt make you a shooter anymore than owning a guitar makes your a musician.
2) Rob_S's thread on "A year with the AK." I applied that to my AR, but one AR, and just using that one rather than dancing around with 8 different setups until I had the perspective to start making my own need based decisions.
3) This website and its members. Huge props to you guys who fill this place up with fantastic info.

Hunting_Zombies
06-02-11, 15:39
Reason #1: I saw the movie Commando and I decided I needed a weapon to take out an entire Army on an island.

Reason #2: Home Defense

Reason #3: Guns are like crack to me...I'm hooked!

rob_s
06-02-11, 15:41
2) Rob's thread on "A year with the AK." I applied that to my AR, but one AR, and just using that one rather than dancing around with 8 different setups until I had the perspective to start making my own need based decisions.
I was going to mention that in my post but I felt like I had already blathered on too long.

GunnutAF
06-02-11, 15:48
Been a gun guy all my life, spent 24 years in the military so I had plenty of experience with the AR platform. Never wanted one until recently, been a bolt gun guy, a pump gun guy but as I get older the semi-auto's gained more appeal! So it was a natural progression - It started with semi-auto loading shotguns, pistols and now rifles! The AR fills two niches for me a SD weapon and a varmit caliber I didn't have!
Cause Varmitting with .30 + calibers gets messy if want pelts!:D

ramsker
06-02-11, 16:50
I've just always been fascinated with M-16s since I was a kid . . . always told myself I would try to get something that looked like it someday. I've owned a .40 Hi-Power for several years but that was my only gun and I wasn't sure when the timing would ever be right to go the AR route. Would have continued to be a bit of a tough sell, but my wife suddenly started wanting to get a handgun for her and learn how to shoot. So we bought her a Ruger SR9 a few weeks ago and I said I'd like to look at AR's. She said "go ahead". So I did.

I bought a DD M4 on Tuesday . . . can't wait to break it in!

The Cat
06-02-11, 17:04
1. As soon as I got a good-paying job out of college, I bought an AK because they were cheap, cool, and the market was awash in cheap ammo.

2. Found out that an AR-15 was a semi-auto version of the M16 andNOT a pimped-out Mini-14 like The A-Team had led me to believe.

3. Bought an AR. Justification: It would be a nice historical 'companion' to the AK's in my collection. Discovered the AR's propensity to multiply.

4. Progression as follows: Plinking - building - smithing - training - HD - 3Gun. Hobby became lifestyle.

Brennan
06-02-11, 17:55
I had grown up around weapons as long as I could remember. My dad had been in the military for quite a few years and had/has an extensive collection. I remember being 10-12 years old and shooting his SKS's, M14's, shotguns, ect. I was always really excited about shooting when I was younger. It somewhat phased out when I had hit puberty haha. Fast forward to me being 20, I'm a mechanic making alright money and built a few quick cars. It finally just hit me one day all of the money I had been wasting on cars. (I would soon learn the expenses of a gun hobby as well) I sold one for a good chunk of cash and a cheap-o DPMS rifle. I had researched the rifle for a bit after receiving it and sold it about a month later. I bought a few guns between then and the 1.5 years to now. I recently purchased an M&P15 off of an employee because he never used it and have been using it like crazy. I know it's not the top of the line, but it works awesome for me just plinking. I would love to take some classes, but money has been a little tight recently.

Anyways, enough rambling. I'm going to keep reading everything this site has to offer and hopefully learn a lot.

SteadyUp
06-02-11, 18:55
I didn't grow up around guns. They weren't considered taboo or evil in my household, but they just weren't an item of interest.

Fast forward to about 4 years ago. I finally have a job where I have disposable income. I decide to buy a handgun, just because I can. I bought a Ruger SR9 (which is long gone), and after shooting it once, I realized I liked guns, and I liked them a lot. This past December I decided that I wanted an AR. My intent at the time was for a "fun gun" to shoot at the range. I ended up buying a Colt LE6920, and an EOTech 512 and LaRue mount.

After shooting it a while, I realized I really liked, and I bought another AR (this time a DD lower and BCM). At this point my use for the gun also includes self defense, in addition to enjoyment. I intend on doing competition in the future, but I'm recovering from a bad, bad motorcycle accident, and my mobility is not 100% at this point.

I also have a beginner carbine course scheduled for later in the year, as I think that will be a tremendous boost to my skill set. I've also learned a lot from simply reading the material available on this website.

usmcvet
06-02-11, 19:29
I bought my first AR, a Colt A2 '91/'92 and sold it just before the ban for $400 and bought a car with the money!

I bought my second AR a Bushy after a scumbag named Carl Drega killed two NH Troopers, a Judge and a few other folks. He also shot/wounded a game warden and border patrol agent before he was killed by police.

I carried that gun for more than twelve years with little training beyond sighting it in on the KD course with the local ROTC cadets, informal shooting consisting mostly of rapid fire magazine dumps and a yearly "qualification" following our annual pistol qualifications. It was an insurance policy I never needed. I deployed it numerous times but it was never needed.

I sold it shortly after joining here and learning a great deal. We brought a carbine course to our PD last year and have followed up with the drill learned there.

I've moved on to a pair midlength BCM guns/uppers which I've since sold. For a pair of SBR's with another in the works.:D

I like the compactness of the SBR in and out of vehicles and buildings.

ssracer
06-02-11, 20:18
I have wanted an AR for many, many years. I've always been a firearms enthusiast and just love collecting, owning and shooting all types of guns. Just never could manage to put aside the money for one. Once I got married, gun money was a hard thing to come by so I survived playing with my CAI M1 Garand, 10/22 and USP .40c for several years. Then I got divorced.....time for new guns!

I decided to build an AR rather than buy one because I love doing things myself and I got in on a local group buy of Sharps lowers and then Doublestar LPKs. And it got worse from there as I had no idea what I was doing and built it on as tight a budget as I could. Sadly I had never heard of BCM, DD or anyone else I needed to know before building.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4376897547_343e75280d_b.jpg

:bad:

At first everything was fine, but it only took a few months for the problems to start, failures to extract and others, and pieces began being replaced here and there until I decided I wanted nothing functional of the old rifle anymore. Now the only original parts that remain are the buffer tube and spring, MBUIS and PMAGS. The sharps, doublestar, blackthorne and ncstar junk have been replaced with AA, BCM, Troy and EOTech jewels. Essentially a second build done a little at a time and costing quite a bit more than the first.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5493133729_53489ce799_b.jpg

:dance3:

The rifle has been completely flawless since and currently has 877 rounds of mostly wolf through it since its last cleaning (just a little lube before each range trip). Once it hits 1K (should be next weekend) I'll make it spotless again. Just doing it to make sure that it can. I'd have no qualms about trusting my life to this rifle and am completely hooked on the platform. I've done one carbine course so far, but mostly the rifle just sees range use as I'm not in a profession where I could use it daily....though it would make programming much more interesting.

An SBR is already in the planning stages, though this one is being put together by AA.

Cruncher Block
06-02-11, 21:08
I was following conventional wisdom and relying on a Remington 870 for a defensive long gun. I took a course and practiced fairly regularly with it.

I did a really honest assessment and decided the shotgun wasn't the best choice for me. I decided that a lightweight rifle in an appropriate caliber made more sense.

I started with a Saiga in .223. I decided I wanted professional training and the ability to easily get parts and repairs. I don't have anything against the Kalashnikov design but it seemed like ARs were prevalent at most of the courses.

I sold the Saiga and a Glock and bought an AR carbine.

Torsion
06-02-11, 21:43
I bought my first gun back in late '96, a russian Makarov for $169. I was content with that for a while, having a new family and all. It wasn't until 2002 that i purchased my first rifle, a Czech K98. It was nice, but a bit boring. So shortly after that I started buying semi-autos. At first what I could afford, a Cetme (it worked), PTR91, STG58 kit on a built Imbel. 7.62 was cheap! Then I started building AK's, four of em. Two Rommys, a Polish UF, and a Bulgie 74. The later two being my favorates. Throw in a few pistols along the way. Mostly I just went to the range, and when my boys got older they would come along too.

I never really had much interest in the AR platform, but early '09 I bought a M&P15 MOE on an empulse, the whole obama scare thing. After that I just became emersed in it. I recently attended a carbine class that I really enjoyed, and I plan on going to more in the future.
So I want to head more into a dynamic form of training rather than just static bench rest shooting.
I just recently aquired my second AR, a BCM middy on a S&W lower. My thought being that my oldest son can attend a class on two with me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/TimDawg/IMAG0117.jpg

a1fabweld
06-02-11, 22:11
I mostly wanted an AR because they are just a downright sexy rifle. Since I was a kid, I used to drool over AR's & HK's. Right about the time I was 18, the Clinton ban went into effect & I couldn't get any of the cool black rifles I wanted. The ban never expired here in CA. With the advent of magazine locks, we can at least have neutered black rifles now. Yea it sucks but its not permanent. When I eventually end up in CO, I'll toss them & enjoy my AR's & black rifles in their true form.

My tastes in AR's have evolved from range toys to more serious purposes such as defensive tools. I still have my 1st CMMG 16" middy & it's an awesome shooter. I also have some BCM, Noveske, WOA builds just cause I can. I enjoy them all equally.

Bobert0989
06-02-11, 22:14
I bought my first one to piss off Obama, but now I buy them to piss off the wife! LOL

Really though, I bought the first one because I thought they were cool, and had some experience shooting a buddy's. I felt like it was a solid platform and much more fun than my bolt-action rifles...

After a little time and a lot of research on this forum, I learned more about them, their mechanics, their abilities, downfalls to some parts compared to others, and ultimately started learning what I liked and didn't like about certain parts. It took time and money, but the information here was plenty abundant, and there's alwaays someone here to answer my questions, no matter how basic. I DO regret not doing some research before jumping on my first one, even if it was a good deal. I found one that looked cool on the wall and put it in my closet. Now I pick which one best suits the task at hand and go from there.

My greatest discovery was that, once I found the right lower-configuration for me, experimenting with uppers only will save A LOT of money, rather than buying/building MULTIPLE rifles to try something new. Plus you wind-up with some good stuff to trade around on when you're done!

Surf
06-02-11, 22:26
Been shooting since I was a kid and this platform has always captured my interest. Purchased one to use professionally in the early / mid 90's. This platform eventually became my issued primary weapon in early 2K.

Advanced my teaching career throughout the years while also doing the job. I eventually came to this point in my career where I mostly deal with and teach advanced shooters, primarily teaching combat or tactical styles of shooting with a major emphasis on CQB type stuff. I primarily teach local, State, Fed and Military and have done some minor work with civilians but most of those that I teach also primarily use this platform. I teach just about any small arms stuff but this platform is definitely the overwhelming bulk of it.

I am very mechanically inclined. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, construction you name it. I am the type that cannot leave anything alone. I almost think that I can fix or improve anything. Did a lot of formal training in armoring / smithing work on various platforms and this platform has somewhat become a specialty.

Because of all of the above and dealing with this weapon on nearly a daily basis I am always trying new things. So when I want to play with new set ups instead of altering or changing the actual rifle itself, I tend to build new ones to the specs that I wish to try out, so they tend to start adding up.

CoryCop25
06-02-11, 22:54
I bought my first AR in 1996. I have always wanted one and I always wanted the best. I went to a shop that I did most of my buying from and the owner handed me 2 rifles. The first was a Colt. He said "look how the upper and lower wiggle". He then handed me a Bushmaster and told me that this was the best AR and it was actually cheaper than the Colt! I bought the Bushmaster and I was a plinker for several years. I saw a role for this rifle in my early years in LE and I was laughed at when I said the we should have these in our vehicles. The AR was kind of pushed away for my love of handgun shooting until I decided to build my own AR from scratch in about 2004. I built a rifle out of mostly Colt parts and I shot it quite often. Took classes with it and trained weekly with it. I discovered M4C about 3 years ago and really started learning about the AR platform. I now have a serious disease! Three years later, I no longer have those 2 original ARs I am an armorer, I work part time at a shop assembling custom ARs, I purchase rifles for my PD and have SEVEN ARs of my own and the all have serious range time! Some are toys and others are serious defense guns.

Surf
06-02-11, 22:58
Not sure how that double tap happened. :)

eightmillimeter
06-02-11, 23:06
Started working for a sporting goods store during college and the resident gunsmith got me hooked on ar's. Built my first one for NRA competition (you NEED and AR to be competitive in service rifle) and then a RRA mid length as a do-all gun.

Have since scrapped them both and built a nice upper dressed out in Magpul with an ACOG on it, which was going to be my work gun until my Dept. decided not to allow personally owned guns.

Now I'm an authorized dealer for LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense, if that tells you anything.

Can't get enough of them.

pcardinal42
06-02-11, 23:15
Just wanted one for so long, saved up the money and bought one to shoot at the range and toy around with. Found this site and lets just say I want to do more and more with my AR and I need a lot more money to do it with. Just wish there were classes around my area.

northern1
06-03-11, 05:11
As evident by this being my first post I'm relatively early into my firearms learning curve, perticuarly with the AR platform. I've been lurking here for about 6 months and contrary to me purchasing a Spikes 90% of the technical info I've learned has been from the overwhelming depth of knowledge found here. I went with Spikes out of convenience over BCM, DD, LMT and so on. If it let's me down I'll let you all know. Its a 16" middy Spikes upper with 9" Spikes rail, Spikes lower, DD fixed rear, CTR stock & Noveski QD endplate. I'm huge on the 2nd Ammendment, don't trust there won't be another ban and believe its my duty to protect me and my loved ones. I'm not new to AK's and shotguns but felt the AR's modularity and ease of adding a light and red dot sight made it good for the urban envoroment I live in. It may also be more politicaly correct than the AK heaven forbid I ever need to worry about that. Also have an affinity for the AR as Americas Rifle and wanted something in 5.56. Hope to do my own build mainly just to gain more understanding of the platform while adding another SHTF rifle to my collection. Look forward to learning more here and hope to one day have something to add. Awesome forum for sure.

rob_s
06-03-11, 05:28
Thanks for all the great replies. It is interesting to see how many of us started out with one intention and wound up changing paths. I bet that at the time most of us didn't even really know why we were buying one and it's only in hindsight that we realize it was mostly folly now that we view our previous selves through the lens of hindsight.

I also think it's interesting to see how many people credit this site with getting them turned around. I know that for me coming here in M4C's infancy, to a site largely run by people I had butted heads with on ar15.com for years, after being banned from ar15.com for defending the owner of this site and for things said on this site, all had a lot to do with my shift in focus from owning ARs for internut-picture-posting to tools used for defense, hunting, training, and competition.

DasBulk
06-03-11, 05:44
Always wanted one for various reasons. Mostly plinking and "do all" hunting and roaming around the woods with. I have a 6920 right now with the usual doo dads. I don't bother much with PEQs, nv, ultra expensive optics, rails or anything. But there's nothing wrong with them if you do. Its a fun gun more than anything else and I like it light and simple. A light, sight and sling are all I need on my gun. Of course, if it needed to, it could function in any role I put it to.

I thought about taking a class and probably will whenever I can afford to dump the change on one. But for my use and right now, I can't quite justify spending up to or more than 600 or so just yet.

munch520
06-03-11, 07:17
great thread!

I was religiously shooting my pistols once a week or so and really enjoyed the challenge that were found at longer ranges. Well after a bit, I got bored with 25-50 yrds so I started to look for a rifle. Shot a few types my friends/family had and landed on the AR because of the ability to be customized as well as its ability to be an asset both in cqb and long range situations. It's a weapon I feel I can truly 'grow into' and hopefully will be trying my hand at some 3 gun matches pretty soon. Overall, it's one of my favorite additions to the collection

christcorp
06-03-11, 08:32
I've owned 3 ARs; plus my issued weapon in the military for 21 years. I've always loved weapons. Especially military weapons. I love military history. I also have 1903 springfields, garands, m1 carbine, enfields, etc... But I also like and have AK's, SKS, galil, and FAL. So for me, owning an AR was natural. I've been shooting them for over 30 years, and they're part of our history.

But one of the more important reasons for owning one, is so that ordinary and normal people can see that common sense average people can own such a weapon, and NOT JUST the "Mall Ninja" or "Conspiracy Theorist" who believe movies like "Red-Dawn" and "Lethal Weapon" are real life scenarios. Or that real life civilian defensive needs are the same as our military. If only the Ninjas, conspiracy theorist, and paranoid owned AR's "Black Rifles"; then it would be much easier for the anti-gun crowd to get such weapons banned. So it's important that level headed, down to earth, practical people own such weapons too. This way the anti-crowd will realize that guns don't kill people.

wetidlerjr
06-03-11, 08:52
I bought my first AR (Colt) back in the early '70s but after trading it I didn't get back into them until 2002 with a couple of BMs. One now has a BCM upper and the other has an upgraded trigger and BCG. I picked the AR because of shooting the M16 in the USMC. MY ARs are for plinking, HD and other self-defense uses. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Colt%201911/004.jpg

jwperry
06-03-11, 09:55
I got into firearms/shooting because a series of events in my life showed me that self defense really means defending myself and not waiting for someone else to do it...
That lead to purchasing my first handgun in 2004, right after I turned 21.
Which after years of shooting lead to purchasing my first rifle before 2008 election, an SKS.
I found that I really sucked at shooting a rifle and if I wanted more than Fudd instruction, I needed an AR or M1A; so I bought a CMMG, because mil-spec is mil-spec and parts are parts right? After many stuck cases, breaking the bolt catch, breaking the hammer pin, then having the buffer weight retainer get free and stuck in the action I almost gave up. I'm glad I started using the internet as a resource and I'm now the happy owner of an SR15e3.
My primary use for my rifle is still the same, I plink, try to shoot competitively (but get soo frustrated because I suck with a rifle) and it is a last ditch home defense gun.

ReaperAZ
06-03-11, 10:18
Well let’s see here. Have always been into shooting in some form or another whether it was just plinking as a kid or hunting. I had always wanted to join the military and was all set to join up after graduating high school. Sadly I was never able to do so because I sustained an injury to my knee in the last few weeks of school that put me out of commission. I was crushed and even to this day my knee isn’t “right”. In 2000 I moved to AZ from NH and decided to get a pistol for CCW. Went shooting 3-4 days a week and met a few guys that were always there. One of which was an active duty service member who asked if I wanted to go out with him and his buds one day. I went and was introduced to my first AR platform rifle. I was hooked from the first 5 rounds I fired and knew I had to have one. Soon after I decided to buy one and with no research or proper guidance, went to a gun show and walked out with a DPMS. I know, I know, like I said no research or guidance. Have since owned 4 AR’s from various manufacturers of “lesser” quality. It wasn’t until I found this site in ’07 that I had any true idea of what a good rifle really was. Took a bit of a break from the scene for a couple years to get life stuff sorted and have come back to it recently. So I guess I just kind of stumbled my way into the AR really. For me I guess it was knowing that I was capable of protecting myself in up close stuff with my pistol skills and with a rifle I was able to do the same out to a greater distance if needed. I also truely enjoy going out with my girlfriends father and shooting on the weekends. Since my father is so far away it's great for me to have that bond. Long term I would really like to take some courses and maybe get into some type of competition but work has been so crazy over the past few years I just haven’t had time to do much.

bsmith_shoot
06-03-11, 13:33
I guess im one of those lucky folks that have been around guns since I was a child. My dad has always been a hunter, shooter, and a gun-trader/collector. My first gun was actually a 4 gun battery, consisting of a Ruger MK2, Ruger 10/22, Winchester model 120 youth, and a Ruger M77 in .243. I still have them all, and I was 8 years old when I got em.
My first AR came along when I was 16. It was a Bushy XM-15A2. I shot it a lot, carried it on the farm a lot, and generally treated it like sh!t. The one thing I never skimped on was cleaning though, if I fired the weapon, it was cleaned that night. I guess ive probably killed more coyote, rabbits, crows, fox, and about any other pest you can think of, with it than all my other rifles combined, past and present.
A few years later, when I grew into a big-boy, I was working as the Chief of Security for a correctional facility. When I took over, the issued weapons were Smith & Wesson model 15's and Mossberg 500's. The training regiment was useless, and arcane, at best. I set in on getting quality training for my officers, and the problems started rising. After about a year of making do with what we had, I "forced" a transition from the Smith .38's to Glock 22's, and from Mossy 500's to Remington 870's. I didnt stop there though. I saw a real use for a centerfire rifle, both in transport, and perimeter security. I lobbied for rifles, and was fought the whole way. Eventually though, I was enough of a pain, that we got em. My only experience was with Bushy, and thats what we got.
Fast-forward a year, and 6 very good classes, and things were kinda becoming evident. Bushmaster is good, depending on what you use them for, but not so great as a combat rifle. That first year, I put around 7500 rnds through my rifle, and in some pretty hard-use strings of fire, and things were beggining to wear and break.
As you know though, life goes on, and I eventually left corrections as a career to focus on family. The one thing I didnt leave though, was my love for training, and combat-focused courses.
Its been about 6 years since I left there, and im still putting about 7500 rounds a year through my rifles. The biggest change is my knowledge, and experience, with the AR weapon system. I know what to look for now, how to properly maintain, and how to properly run my rifles. Im not saying im a Larry Vickers, Chris Costa, or any of the hardcore lead slingers, but im experienced. I attend at least 2 courses a year, and train with a great group of guys once a month.
So to sum it all up, my AR-evolution has went from a good little farm rifle, to a pretty hard-use combat rifle.

This is the last evolution of my Bushy, which has been sold for a while now.
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu224/bsmith_shoot/163.jpg
This is my daily use rifle now.
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu224/bsmith_shoot/SBR.jpg

geistacwm
06-03-11, 15:35
I have an unhealthy need to build, tinker and fulfill any artistic outlet I can. I also enjoy firearms.

What seemed like a simple mating has obliterated my checking account.

Happy American though.

buckjay
06-03-11, 15:41
I wanted something nice to shoot and the AR seemed perfect for me :)

I'd have loved a HK416, but those things are so overpriced!

vdog
06-03-11, 18:13
I have always grown up around shotguns for hunting never really got around rifles until I was in the Army. After getting out I went to college and got a job as a LEO. I bought my own AR when our Dept was not able to get enough rifles to give to everyone. So I bought an RRA middy. I would like to make some tweaks to the one I have but kids and money have slowed that effort. I have since become a Firearms instructor for our Dept. Still learning all the time. Still like the scatterguns also.

WillBrink
06-03-11, 18:27
...and what have you done with it since?

We have seen lots of people over the years that buy an AR for one reason and wind up doing something completely different with it over time as their experience changes. I'm one of those people, and I'm sure many of you are too.

Some of the threads where new shooters are asking for advice, or new buyers, made me think maybe they could benefit or better understand the advice if they knew that it was based on hard-earned experience (and money hemorrhaging!) and could see the progression of some of the folks that have been shooting longer.

So share your story. Try to be brief but cover the important details and transitions (like if you were only plinking but then discovered three-gun, etc.) and how that affected your gear choices. This isn't necessarily a "this is the gun I started with, this is the gun I use now" picture thread but those kinds of things may help illustrate the point for some folks.

For me, basic SHTF/zombie gun. I spend most of my time trying not to suck with a handgun, and get my one AR out to the range a few times per year for a function test, clean, put back in safe. When working with/shooting with those who tend to have access to better "stuff" I have had some real enjoyment and start think thinking a Class III license would be nifty.

The area I live is also as anti black assault evil killer weapon as you can get, so little in the way of matches and such of a tactical nature to shoot it, and standing at the 100 yard line gets old real fast for me.

Wish I had a better story on this here AR oriented forum.

strambo
06-03-11, 20:26
Having been in the military so long...I didn't really have a desire for a personal AR for a long time. I had an 870 for HD and pistols for CCW, a .22 for plinking and a bolt gun.

..but...after the '08 elections I was about to deploy and figured I better get a semi-carbine just in case something happened while I was overseas. I was going to get an AK with a forward mount Aimpoint micro (I used one as a contractor in Iraq, so I'm very comfortable with them)...but they doubled in price and I was too stubborn to pay over retail (for anything, ever!).

So I assembled a lower from in stock components at normal prices, then searched for an upper. I finally found an MRP CQB piston in stock (at regular price) and snatched it up.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/bstrambo/DSCN0100.jpg

Now it looks like this:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/bstrambo/DSCN1700.jpg

I learned my lesson from the elections and have slowly added magazines at great prices and assembled a 2nd AR from high quality parts snatched up over the course of 8 months at killer prices. As pictured with all accessories, about $1200 (DD upper and DDLite rail, LMT BCG, G2 LED, Gear sector mounts).
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/bstrambo/guns/DSCN1671.jpg
All it needs is a TA33HG which I have on backorder for less than $800 shipped.;)

Uses: right now not much. After zero'ing my SBR to some defensive ammo, I'll make it my HD gun. I'd like to attend a carbine course in the next year if I can swing it, my carbine skills are starting to get rusty.

BlueApocalypse
06-03-11, 21:02
I bought my first AR (M&P15) in 2009 because the Air Force only likes to give it's Security Forces one trip to the range per year.

christcorp
06-03-11, 21:33
I bought my first AR (M&P15) in 2009 because the Air Force only likes to give it's Security Forces one trip to the range per year.

I was mainly TACCOM. "Tactical Communications". But one assignment was in Austin Texas when Bergstrom AFB was still there. I was assigned to ABGD. It seemed like for those 4 years, we were training, exercising, qualifying, etc...all the time. A lot of it was MILES laser tag. But I do understand what you're saying. Carrying a weapon all the time and not staying proficient on it, can be a little unnerving.

Blowby
06-03-11, 21:47
Been around firearms since I was little but never really looked at it in a technical way. Picked up a few here and there over the years but decided it was time to man up and get functional tools of the trade and extensive training on a regular basis. You can say I decided to invest in the future.

Redberens
06-03-11, 22:13
Because I have to have one at work. Which for the past 9 years has meant checking out a DPMS carbine at the beginning of shift. As bad as this sounds, I always focused on my handgun, and never really gave the quality of the departments issue rifles much thought. They worked OK, ( aside from the occasional charging handle breaking, gas key coming un-staked, double feed, etc.. ) and that was that.

Then I found this place.

After lurking/reading for several months, I started taking the patrol rifle concept much more seriously, and decided to buy my own, rather than trust my life to the abused DPMS rifles at work. I bought a Colt 6720. Soon after I replaced the rear sight with a Larue A1 style BUIS, and the charging handle with a BCM Gunfighter. I've been an NRA handgun instructor for almost 10 years and this August, I'll be attending a state P.O.S.T. rifle instructor school.

After 6 months of carrying my little pony, I can't imagine not owning it. I'm really in debt to the members on this forum.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/Redberens/Colt6720.jpg

usmcvet
06-03-11, 22:15
Red

What bag is that?

Dienekes
06-03-11, 22:16
Met my first AR in the USAF Security Police in 1966. SEA-bound personnel got initial training on the M16, a big upgrade from tired old M2 carbines. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the M16 and didn't give them much thought until the early 80s when I was in law enforcement. We were involved in a truly wierd case with a religious cult not much different from Jim Jones that could have wound up the same way. That it did not was only by the grace of God. In those days I was into IPSC and practicing quite a lot. I picked up a Colt SP1 CAR and a good bolt action '06 and practiced even more...

I wasn't entirely happy with the trigger and the irons of that Colt, and by the 90s didn't think I had much need for the CAR anymore, and let it go. Some years later I retired and moved off into the sagebrush and happily shot Garands and the M1A. While I did (and still do) like the .30s a lot, I had to agree with my elderly father who thought the country was becoming, in his words, "decadent". It seemed to me that maybe an AR was a prudent thing to have close by again.

Got another in '97 and since I no longer could use irons well, I sprung for an ACOG. Put a match grade trigger on it and never looked back. I do 99% of my own gunsmithing to include barrel changes and my priorities are reliability and KISS. Not much in my area in the way of training but old Gunsite training principles are pretty timeless; and I have some nice spots on BLM land to keep my hand in.

The AR got worked pretty hard the first few years, but with the recent acquisition of a 15-22 lets me do drills more economically at the drop of a hat. Good combination.

So I guess my relationship with ARs since 1966 has been pretty much the same; in 1966, to get me back to my girlfriend; in 1983, to go home to my kids every night; in 2011, to see my grandson grow up.

ra2bach
06-03-11, 22:17
So I assembled a lower from in stock components at normal prices, then searched for an upper. I finally found an MRP CQB piston in stock (at regular price) and snatched it up.

Now it looks like this:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/bstrambo/DSCN1700.jpg

do you have the T-1 mount bridging the receiver/rail joint?

any reason for that?

Thomas M-4
06-03-11, 22:19
Looks to me has if its a LMT monolithic rail.

Ed L.
06-04-11, 00:14
I thought I had replied to this thread already, but I guess I hadn't. I will touch on the major points in the evolution of my ARs, not mentioning all of them, or what classes each gun has been through.

I got my first AR, a 20" barrelled SP-1 in the 1980s so I would have something similar to what I used in ROTC and because I wanted a capable semiauto high cap longarm for defensive use.

My next AR was a 16" barrelled A2 type with a two position collapsable stock. I believe it was called a AR-15a2 Sporter Carbine. I bought it in 1989. In 1999 I outfitted it with an Aimpoint & gooseneck mount that held an Aimpoint Comp-XD over the carryhandle. This was my first red dot sight and I was amazed how quickly I could get on target with it compared to iron sights. Here is that gun which I later sold below my FS2000:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/AR15FS2000-1.jpg

The Ar-15a2 Sporter Carbine was great for the time, but when I tried using it in a high activity carbine class from Trident Concepts annd found that the 2 position stock's two positions were TOO LONG and TOO SHORT and the Ampoint mount's balance sucked. I also discovered that the high reps strained my support arm and that I probably would have been more comfortable with a VFG.

I wound up buying a 6920 and finding it to be a huge improvement in usability and balance. The 4 position stock allowed me to get the gun's center of gravity closer to my body so it would feel better balanced without being too short. The 6920 went through several changes, from a set of Knights rails to a allow the use of a VFG and light to a Noveske N4 Basic upper. Then I went to MOE handguards with the light:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/readygunss.jpg

The 6920 lower ultimately got registered as an SBR and that 6920 lower became the home of an HK416 upper:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/NSWcat.jpg

I wound up buying a Colt 6940, which I really liked, and found myself in a position where I sold the Noveske N4 Basic upper along with a second upper that I had acquired, and bought a BCM EAG midlength to put on this gun.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/myeag.jpg

I still have the uppers from the 6920 and the 6940. I consider the 6940 to be a great gun and if I had not gotten the BCM EAG midlength would be using the 6940 upper on the lower in the place of the midlength.

jhs1969
06-04-11, 08:26
One thing I did not mention in my first post was how many rifles I've had, in fact I've had so many I'll have to estimate on some of them.

Counting my current 6920 I've had 7 Colts;
Approx 16 Bushmasters (Yes I thougt they were all that for a long time.)
One LMT
One BCM (almost complete)
Approx 18 AK's
Approx 8 M1 garands
Approx 4 M1 carbine's
2 M1As
4 Mini-14s
1 Colt 9mm carbine
1 Ruger PC9

My point with all this is that considering all that I've had and experimented with I think it is telling that I've settled solidly on the AR carbine for the last 6-7 years and have no plan on abandoning it. Even when intrigued with the release of the SCAR and ACR, after seeing them firsthand I've also declined them as well. It is hard to beat a quality AR system.

tnt1106
06-04-11, 09:58
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/NSWcat.jpg

What is it with Cats and guns?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/thytim1111/Gunz/2011-05-20_17-27-59_117.jpg

:jester:

Bowser
06-04-11, 10:04
Because I drink da kool aid and it had much better trigger options than my AK.

justin_247
06-04-11, 10:51

Same here, except I work in aircraft maintenance and we're fortunate if we get a trip to the range once every two years.

I bought my AR for training, first and foremost.

kaiservontexas
06-04-11, 11:01
Cause I like firearms and the 94 AWB expired, which meant I could to be honest.

Now because I see them as practical and enjoy them, and by practical I do not mean just self-defense applications but also hunting and general shooting.

And lastly, because it is sexy. :jester:

JVHooligan
06-04-11, 11:27
Appropriate place for my first post. Been lurking for a while.

I started off hunting when I was 13 and fell in love with shooting. First weapon was an H&R 12g single shot. It kicked like a mule on steroids,, but so what- small game and clay pigeons were hit. One-shot-one-kill (accuracy) was instilled into me with that shotgun. (That said, the day after I turned 18 I picked up a Remington 1100. Sweet!) I started deer hunting when I was 15 with a scoped Winchester 70 .308. That baby could drive tacks. It just cost a lot (for me) to shoot (20 rounds was a tease), and range access was difficult.

I solved the round count dilemma by joining the Marines. I became a much better shooter there. Became well acquainted with the M16A1, M1911, and M60. Like I said, I REALLY solved the round count dilemma.

After discharge, I hunted and shot (back to the round count problem- money was tight) for about 3 years. I gave up hunting, and subsequently stopped shooting. Work, family, work, life- I’m sure you get the drift- happened. :mad: Did pick up a couple of pistols for HD, and shot them once to make sure they worked, but that was the extent of my shooting for about 30 years.

Last year I started feeling the urge to start shooting again. The Mini 14’s looked like they’d be fun, so I started checking them out- prices, specs, ammo costs, etc. Of course, while checking them out I ran across AR15/M4geries. Epiphany time! :D Why not get one of those? I knew from experience it’s a great rifle and fun as hell to shoot. I started relearning about this rifle on the web and decided to build the lower and install an upper, while trying to keep total cost around $900. I made the decision as to what parts to purchase, ordered, and built it. It was surprisingly easy (I used the old “when all else fails, follow the directions” adage from the start), and it came out great (PSA Lower, RRA LPK, Spikes 16” Middie Upper, MOE Handguards, Troy Diopter Rear BUIS).

The BRD really seemed to kick in while I was waiting for parts to arrive. I had too much idle time during the waiting periods. The CTR looked better and had more features than the basic M4 stock that was mounted, so I ordered one (at a great price, too!). Also, I figured my eyes are a lot older than they were, and the rear sight was going to be even fuzzier while the front post won’t be as sharp. Better order one of them red dots! A little sense did kick in here, however. I got an M4 clone from Primary Arms- that at least saved me a couple hundred bucks (for now). Those KNS pins look like they’ll help smooth the trigger a little (and I think they did); maybe I can use an AFG; I like that Noveske QD end plate… BRD :eek:

I just hoped I could shoot this thing half as well as I used to. Well, I can- not as well, but better than half as well. And it’s an absolute BLAST to shoot, even better than I remembered. I let my wife shoot it the second time I took it out. She loved it too. Now she wants one (BRD is contagious!). What an excuse to build another!

Thanks for putting up with my rambling history speech (BTW, this was the condensed version!)

John

Heartbreaker
06-04-11, 17:26
The biggest draw for me in the first place was the ability to build it piece by piece from a stripped lower, as someone who always loved guns and building all things mechanical the second I read about it I went and bought a stripped lower a few days later. At first I was just plinking away, changing parts here and there to see the effect on target, then over time started getting more into shooting drills and whatnot. The possibilities are endless with ARs, I've introduced people to shooting with it, it's my go to gun for HD, overall it's just an amazing tool. Anyone who loves shooting will love an AR, it's been cool seeing how the market/shooting community has evolved since the sunset of the AWB, especially here in CA. Even the most staunch fudds at the local range have come around, I'm always happy to see an older guy open a rifle case expecting to see a Krag and out comes a DD with a full length rail and an EOTech.

Spitz
06-04-11, 21:35
Because as a kid I wanted a plastic toy one and my parents would not get it for me. Fast forward many years (and many non toy rifle and shotgun purchases later) the oppertunity to buy the real thing presented itself. I liked that one so much I semi-built another and now I'm in the process of completely building another.

Patrick Aherne
06-04-11, 22:39
California was coming up on it's second AWB and I noticed an Oly Arms MFR at the local range/gunshop. I spoke to the wife about it and she called my friend up and arranged to have it put on hold as a gift for me. The only parts left on the rifle that are Oly Arms are the lower and one roll pin. I have an Lmt upper, magpul ctr, larue 7.0 rail, aim point m2 in a larue mount, TD Vfg and a Vickers sling.

Initially, I just wanted one because I thought it was my last opportunity town one. Now, I carry an AR every day at work and couldn't imagine not having one.

chiroz
06-05-11, 14:08
Liberals hate them, therefore, I like them.

jmp45
06-05-11, 15:26
Got the bug a few years back after firing my brother's AR. So, in 2008 at the worst possible time I stumbled into Gander and paid the highest price for an M&P because Owebama was possibly going to ban them... live and learn. I hate hard lessons. Wish I would have found this site prior and more importantly G&R Tactical.

h2oman
06-05-11, 15:40
I bought my AR because I will never be out gunned again. I am the hunter mentioned in the story.
http://www.pe.com/localnews/sbcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_D_npot30.2fca17d.html

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-05-11, 15:46
I bought my AR because I will never be out gunned again. I am the hunter mentioned in the story.
http://www.pe.com/localnews/sbcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_D_npot30.2fca17d.html

Damn...

Did you build a featureless AR? I'd hate to see you out there with a BB'd rifle!

QuickStrike
06-05-11, 15:46
I bought one to shoot.

And I've since shot it a couple of times. :p

Really the AR is very much superior to a handgun or shotgun IMO.

tx1021
06-05-11, 15:48
Initially I wanted a semi-auto long gun for prairie dogs. The AR seemed to fill all the requirements I was looking for. So I got a DPMS, I know I know, bull barreled upper and an AGP lower. While not necessarily the highest quality AR, it did everything I asked of it and got me to loving the ergonomics of the platform.

After playing around with that for a while I figured I should build a more solid carbine that could fill various roles. So I sold that upper and went ahead and sent my $200 to the .gov knowing I would build an SBR eventually, don't we all? Once the stamp came back I started out with a complete 11.5” BCM upper with a RIS rail, and while it was a nice setup I wanted my support hand further out than it would allow.

Played around with a few rails and landed on a Samson Evolution 11”. This let me get my hand way out in the Magpul/whatever style grip. While it seemed like a quick way to transition I could never get comfortable with it. Picture of said rifle below.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/Tx1021/IMG_4815-1.jpg

After the Samson I got a Daniel Defense 10” Lite rail and currently have it setup for the thumb-break hold. So far this is my favorite configuration. I still need a light and a sling, they will bought shortly once I figure out what I want.

If funds permit I'm hoping to take a carbine class and get some experience with this setup this summer. (Current setup below)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/Tx1021/IMG_4833.jpg

vegasdom
06-05-11, 19:43
Back in the AR game after buying a bunch of cheap century guns. Decided I would rather have a few nice guns than a bunch of cheap ones. I just bought a stock Colt Sporter M4 right now and I'll probably add a quality sight in the future. Oh, I did buy 2 pmags!

I got it because everyone should have at least 1 AR.

Quentin
06-05-11, 21:06
I was first introduced to the AR platform when Uncle Sam handed me one in Vietnam, 1968. After leaving the service a year later I got busy with life and pretty much forgot about the handy rifle I liked so much at the time. I lived in an urban area (Phoenix) so was more wrapped up in handguns, especially the 1911 and S&W Model 19.

When I retired and moved to a smaller town I began getting interested in rifles again. Then the last presidental election scared me into thinking about getting an AR while I still could. Also as you get older you tend to be drawn to things from your youth.

Well as we all know there wasn't much selection after the election and my buddy settled for a Carbon-15 for $1000 but I just couldn't go for that. So I began researching. At first I wanted something like what I carried in Nam but soon realized it made sense to acknowledge the 40 years of refinements in AR design. I also began liking the idea of building my own AR. So I built up a lower and in Sept 2009 came across a good deal on an ArmaLite upper. The rifle turned out very well and I still have it. Mostly it's a range gun and I've gotten very good with it, irons and RDS. It's like an old friend.

Then I started understanding more of the stuff I'd been reading here at M4C and in late 2010 began a second build done the right way. I finished it early this year with a Daniel Defense 16" LW midlength upper. All parts are of high quality, with DD, BCM and Magpul dominating. Again it's a range gun at this time but much lighter and easier to handle.

I'm thinking now it's time to take a carbine class, guess it's never too late, even at 63!

Mark/MO
06-05-11, 21:26
I have shot for years, both competitively and hunting, since I was twelve. I bought my first AR around 1982, a Colt carbine. It was a spur of the moment purchase from a friend that was getting rid of it. I have now military or LEO experience but found it a lot of fun to shoot. For several years I used it for coyote hunting and just shooting, plinking, whatever. In 1988 or so I got into High Power rifle shooting and traded the carbine for a Colt HBar. I wish I had just purchased the HBar outright but being newly married I simply didn’t have the money. I shot High Power for a number of years with it and still have the rifle.

In late 2006 I traded an AK for a Smith & Wesson M&P 15. I had tried the AK platform but found it didn’t work for me. There was no plan or anything, I just didn’t really want the AK and I remembered fondly my Colt carbine from years ago. The dealer made me a really good deal on either a Bushmaster or the M&P 15, both carbines. I had not found this website yet and didn’t know much about the AR platform. Not knowing the difference I ended up going with the Smith because it had a noticeably lighter barrel and my thinking was “why do I want a heavy carbine?” After finding this site I discovered my M&P did not have the bolt carrier staked properly but Grant took care of that for me. Later I received a bonus and purchased an Aimpoint, thinking I would use it in 3 gun matches. I haven’t made the 3 gun yet but have shot the rifle a lot. I also plan to take some classes with it, hopefully in the near future.

More recently a friend and I decided we wanted to build ARs. It didn’t look that hard and we thought it would be fun to piece one together. After lurking here for years and hopefully know a bit more now I slowly bought parts as time and money permitted. This one has a BCM midlength upper and I scoped it with an AccuPoint. Truthfully it really had no purpose; I just wanted to try putting one together and figure I’ll use it coyote hunting.

Smedley
06-05-11, 21:57
I bought my Colt SP-1 in 1979. I knew I was going to join Army Infantry in 1980 and I wanted to become proficient with the weapon. My foresight paid dividends in basic and AIT as I was already skilled at takedown, reassembly, cheek weld, etc. I was issued a Colt M-16A1 at FT. Benning and was already keen on the Colt's ( I remember H&R's were also in the arm's room). I never, ever, ever had a single malfunction of any kind with that M-16. I've been a fan of the rifle ever since. Somehow I got led astray during the '08 frenzy and bought a bushmaster (I was indeed panicked). The information and wisdom provided by this forum has educated me and reminded me about the importance of quality control and I realize my dollars could have been better spent. Remedial measures will eventually be taken. I still have my original SP-1 but it's been in moth-ball status since about 1995. Many thousands of .223 thru that one. Cheers!

hunt_ak
06-06-11, 08:20
...For me, the doubled value of learning a skill that can protect others as well as self, combined with recreational value (range time, classes and matches) makes the entire experience well worth it...
Very, very, well said. I might just be using that from time to time...

4th reason) I like to hold it while in my underwear and stare at myself in the mirror and think to myself "damn, i'm a bad ass".

I don't often laugh out loud by myself when reading the internet....but with this I did!!! HAHA!!!

/thread ;)

The_War_Wagon
06-06-11, 08:46
The FIRST time? Because it was 1991, I was 24, I had money, it was cheap, it had a 37mm flare launcher with it - the one designed to look like the M203 - and I was STOOOOOOOOOOOPID! :rolleyes:

It was a PWA-HBAR that had been with the troops... at Valley Forge... and seen better days. Like ALL PWA's, it had a firing pin made of antimony, and having already bent, was doubling away like nobody's business! :eek: That hunka crap almost turned me off to the platform completely.

I've endeavored to learn a LITTLE bit more about them, in the succeeding 20 years...

balletto
06-06-11, 11:58
I got started in rifle shooting a few years ago at some CMP clinics, hosted at the shooting club I belong to in IL. After shooting a Garand and an AR, I figured that the AR would be a better long-term choice compared to an AK, or 7.62 MBR, for various reasons.

I didn't really have a 'mission' in mind for my AR, but figured the versatility of the platform would make it a good system to build on. I bought an assembled spikes lower a few years ago, and have since added a .22lr upper, and a BCM 14.5'' midlength upper, along with a sling, mags, ammo, etc. The next purchase will be an Aimpoint.

I typically shoot the BCM upper on a square range at 50-100 yards, and am going to start attending local monthly "tactical" rifle events as soon as my weekend schedule frees up a bit. Attending an actual 2-3 day AR training course would be great, but is probably a year or 2 down the road.

ETA: This site and its many knowledgeable members has been a terrific resource for me in assembling my current setup. I remember looking at the RRA site many years ago, thinking that "I'm ordering my first AR from <here>." Thankfully, I did a lot of reading before I settled on what I currently have AR-wise.

I can shoot out to 600 yards at my club, so I may invest in a 18 or 20'' upper and some nice magnified optics in the future for some longer distance target shooting.

The Cat
06-06-11, 12:22
What is it with Cats and guns?

:jester:

We love them, that's what - and we thank you Hoomins for inventing them! :laugh:

Beat Trash
06-06-11, 12:25
Bought my first AR (Colt SP1) in the late 1980's. I bought it because it reminded me of the M16A1 I used for 3 of the 4 years I was in the Marine Corps. The M16A2 was starting to be issued as I was getting out.

Sold it off when I was out of work for a time. Replaced it a few years later with a Colt H-Bar (6601). Too much time thinking about the KD course made me think the H-Bar was the way to go.

A year goes by then my club has a class/shoot from 5-100 yds. Once I got off the bench, the 20" H-bar started to loose it's appeal fast! Fast forward a couple of years to the start of the AWB. I bought a used but NIB Colt 6520. Felt like a pistol compared to to the 20" H-bar. This gun kept me company for several years, to include going to and from work (LEO) during two weeks of full scale riots in 2001. I still have this gun. It's not going anywhere.

I then discovered middle aged eyes and the Colt 6920. Aimpoints rock.

Why did I buy an AR? My first AR was for nostalgia and for "SHTF", although back then I wouldn't have known to call it SHTF. Would have said, "Just in case..."

I've bought more since that first SP1 for various reasons. Manly because it's a fun gun to shoot. I can shoot it more efficiently than other types (Think AK and Mini -14 for starters). I can set it up for my needs (like a lego set for grownups).

My defensive needs are under 200 yds, with the vast majority well under 100 yds. The AR carbine is more than capable for this.

I think we are currently experiencing a Golden Age of the AR. There are more quality choices available, and prices are good.

Why buy an AR? I'd ask, why not?

donwalk
06-06-11, 13:05
i am of "The old school" of combat weapons...the M1 Garand, M1 carbine, M14...etc. that's what i was trained with in the U.S. Army (that 'dates' me doesn't it?) ;)

i had left the army by the advent of the M16 but followed it's development as i had many friends and relatives that "used" it in Vietnam, much to their chagrin; i had been issued an M1 carbine and used the M1919 for my part in the war in 'Nam; i, to this day, am convinced, the 5.56 is NOT a good COMBAT cartridge...in particular, for intermediate and longer range engagements...but that's a debate to be done at another time. :confused:

my son became interested in the AR platform as a hunting/varmint arm and i began to follow it more closely and found that the versatility has many advantages for anyone interested in having a 'multi-purpose' rifle and one that will serve satisfactorily to replace handguns practically in many occasions of need.:cool:

the environment i now live in is conducive to such a platform; a rural, high desert, ranch/farm area.

i am able to switch uppers and shoot rimfire ammo for fun and "Practice" and change to the more serious uppers for serious varmint/hunting and SD/SHTF scenarios if need be.

where i mainly use, and prefer, the A2 sights, i am equipped for optics if i choose. if i want to "Drive tacks" i go to my savage 12fv or rem 700.

basically, the AR platform is an all around good selection for any serious firearms affectionado who wants to have "Versatility" in a firearm.

unfortunately, states like California are so paranoid about the AR it defies logic, so we're stuck with features like the "Bullet button" and 10 round, detachable magazines, but i can live with that...:sad:

coyote hunter
06-06-11, 13:50
First and still only AR is a bushmaster that was given to me as a graduation gift (yea, it's a bushmaster, but still in the running for best gift ever)

Being in college I don't have the finances to buy a different AR. I have a hard time paying for ammo as it is.

I have plans for a BCM when the money comes around, but don't we all.

I've been into guns my whole life, and the AR always interested me. So getting one was pretty much inevitable.

After I graduate and get one of them "job" things I would love to get into three gun.

Right now I use my AR for predator hunting and plinking/target shooting.

I'm very happy that I found this site. The information here is great. I've learned a ton and still keep learning.

Using the info I've learned here I've helped a few of my friends stray away from the rack of DPMS and bushy guns at the gun shop and order a BCM instead.

At first I was in the "YEAH an AR, now lemme hang as much shit as I can from it!" phase. But now I've learned what works and what doesn't and have cut a significant amount of crap from my rifle.

Being here I've learned that not all ARs are created equal, and parts are not parts. quality counts.

Thanks everyone

Axcelea
06-06-11, 14:44
Bought a Colt HBAR-C back during the AWB, really no reason beyond stumbling into it, liking weapons, and deciding I want it. Sold it due to hassles of owning and not being able to shoot all that much, not really loving its exact set up, etc and probably moving where problems would get worse.

Years later I had the money and kept my eyes out for something I liked the feeling of and saw a deal on DDM4 and liked the look of it and feel, did some info gathering on it (granted there wasn't much out there about whole DD rifles at that point but the specs and such are there) and grabbed it up. Reasons involve anything from I like to punch holes in paper, combat/weapons nut, home defense, fantasy zombie role playing, disaster readiness, and who knows what else.

Biz Kizzle
06-06-11, 16:05
i got my first AR in part because of becoming educated on firearms after getting into shooting with the help of a friend. the friend is going to school for gun-smithing (among other things) and he had plenty of guns he allowed me to shoot, including a couple ar's.

Got hooked after that and decided i wanted my own. in the process of builing me second, a BCM middy lightweight. should be a good time once it's together. not buying an optic yet for this one, want to get very, very proficient with my irons before that happens.

JoshNC
06-06-11, 17:00
I bought my first AR15, a Blue label Colt 6551 Sporter Target, just after the 1994 Assault Weapon and mag ban because I thought it would be my only chance to own one. Painfully, I paid $1700 for it at a shop local to me in West Palm Beach, Florida. Looking back, in 1994 I could have bought a like-new transferable Colt M16 for about $2k. My Blue Label 6551 (1:7 twist government profile threaded A2 barrel without bayonet lug) has full A2 features on the upper and lower, with the lower drilled for the front takedown pin spring and detent, steel block in the lower held in with a single blind pin on the left side, and period-appropriate "half circle" bolt carrier. I added the proper captive front takedown pin/spring/detent shortly after purchasing it.

I still have the 6551. I initially changed it into a 6731 (threaded 1:9 twist heavy 16 inch barrel, no bayo lug) with a Colt conversion upper and Colt collapsible stock. Then I added a Trijicon ACOG TA01-NSN, Knights RAS-2, and Dieter CQD grip and used it as my go-to rifle for training, range use, etc.. With the sunset of the 1994 ban, I returned it to its factory 6551 configuration. I keep it for nostalgia and as part of my personal desire to have a reference collection (I am a collector and a shooter) and have since purchased other utility rifles (mainly Colt 6920s with rails, Surefire lights and Aimpoints added) to use for training, range use, etc...

Spiffums
06-06-11, 18:24
I seriously bought my 1st AR, bushmaster hbar clone, for Y2K.

rob_s
06-06-11, 18:44
I seriously bought my 1st AR, bushmaster hbar clone, for Y2K.

I'll bet that the 1994 AWB, Y2K and the Obama election were the three biggest motivators for AR purchases. I worked at a gunshop during the Y2K hysteria and it was insane. "I don't believe in owning guns but..."

SGB
06-06-11, 20:13
Bought my first AR (Colt SP1) because I carried a M16a1 in service. Now I've got one 11.5", two 16", one 18" in 5.56 and one AR10 16". Currently thinking of doing a .300 Blackout SBR.

JoshNC
06-06-11, 20:43
I'll bet that the 1994 AWB, Y2K and the Obama election were the three biggest motivators for AR purchases. I worked at a gunshop during the Y2K hysteria and it was insane. "I don't believe in owning guns but..."

I know several people who bought black rifles and handguns due to the Y2K hysteria. They were not gun owners prior to this. Similarly, I helped several friends buy AR15s and handguns during the Obama election; all of whom were never gun owners prior to this. Thankfully, I helped convince them to buy quality and most all bought Colt 6920s or Bravo Company rifles.

jldzj5.9
06-06-11, 21:25
I was very happy with my Ruger Mini 14, Ruger P-90 .45, and 870 express 8 round. They got me through Y2k, 9-11, occational hog hunting trip, living in Atlanta, GA and Ft. Lauderdale. But one day my buddy took me to the range with his MP-5K on full auto and at that moment I knew I was way outgunned.
I grew up with some old school hunting rifles and shotguns my father had around the house and thought I was doing ok with what I had. In the Navy I got to train on the M-14 and M-60 for ships defense but did not think I would need anything like that out on the streets. My 12gage and mini 14 with a couple 20 round mags would help me through any hurricane evacuations or civil unrest i may encounter right...
After not being able to sleep soundly for a couple of days imagining how I would deal with something like an MP-5k on full auto I began a quest for real fighting gun. When I came to the realization that full auto was something I could neither afford to purchase or operate I focused on an AR. I wanted a rugged gun that did not need too much love from me that could be counted on to get rounds down range when and where I needed them to go. After lurking this site, talking with a buddy who had an AR and asking anyone that would answer my questions I went with an LWRC M6A2 with B.U.I.S. that were on the gun when I got it. After a couple of run-and-gun sessions at the range and private tactical lessons I feel like I have just begun to realize the potential of this platform. I like the AR because it is designed to be an active gun, not something that is best when used on a bench at the range. I like the AR because there are classes specifically for that gun...a lot of them. The more I train with it the more I like it. It has replace my 870 as my long gun on road trips. And I still chuckle when I think back at how I considered my Ruger .45 as my primary.

Kyohte
06-06-11, 21:42
I saw all the AR-15's out there when I was looking for my first rifle, but no one in my area carried anything other than RRA or Bushmaster, and I felt that if I couldn't have the real deal (a Colt), I'd go with something else. I ended up with a Sig 556 (they were brand spanking new at the time), but shortly after, that nasty ban rumor came back and so I ended up buying a stripped lower before they were to become scarce. It sat in my basement for 3-4 years as I bought other guns, but I pretty much forgot about it until I was cleaning the spare gun parts drawer. I did a lot of research, and I decided to start piecing it together. Eventually (after a lot of trial and error buying and selling parts to find out what I liked and needed...a carbine course would've saved me a good deal of money at the time) I ended up with AR I have today. It is the most shot rifle in my collection.

I'm about to become a poor student (again), so any attempt to build another one has been thwarted at least for the next 5-6 years.

mashed68
06-06-11, 21:58
I built my first AR because I love military history and I could build one cheap for a fun range toy. $420 all brand new including mag and $5 boxes of ammo work for me. I have done nothing with it except shoot it, I put money into my FAL and AK.

wolfrage
06-06-11, 22:16
When I got out of the Army I was so annoyed with my old beat-to-hell M4 that I told myself I'd build the rifle I wanted while I was infantry. So i did.

Stag stripped lower, RRA lower parts,Stag H3 upper, Primary arms PM3 I think it's called, magpul forestock, CTR stock, badger release, MOE grip.

I started a range club at work and every time someone new goes and I pull out the AR and let them shoot, they all pretty much have the same reaction. They almost always giggle. There's just something about an nice AR.

anatolian B
06-06-11, 22:21
I obtained a Colt A2 as part of a trade in ’98. I had shot ARs before but this was my first and it started the addiction we all share here.

I am still amazed at the growth of the platform in the last ten years. It is simply amazing, I’m glad to be along for the ride. I’m also happy to see so many new gun owners seemly attracted to firearms by the AR.

MustangGreg66
06-06-11, 22:34
Well I bought my first AR parts because for the first time in a long time, I actually legally could own an AR-15 style rifle in CA thanks to the bullet button and similar devices.

The first upper I bought was a 16" carbine by olympic arms. I never shot it because by the time I built my lower I bought a second upper, a YHM 16" Carbine with a smoothie forarm and shallow cut fluting in the barrel. I swapped the YMH flash hider for their agressive comp and I felt like I had the best AR around.... that is until I actually started looking into the platform and the plethora of parts available.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/mustanggreg66/Images4Forums/ARs/IMG_8474.jpg

That was all around the time of the Obama gun grab scare and I bought it because I had always wanted one, but they were always too expensive. Well that was the tipping point for me. I bought parts off classifieds and built my own rifles. This spread out the cost so when I finally completed a $1500 rifle it didn't feel like it cost that much and I still got all the parts on it I wanted without any extra wasted parts left over.

Soon after I got into 3-gun and my tastes changed again. I currently run a home built 14.5" midlength BCM barreled upper with a pinned and welded battlecomp 1.5 under a Troy TRX Extreme 13. This is my rifle for short range events and carbine matches. Say under 200yds

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/mustanggreg66/Images4Forums/ARs/BCM/IMG_1080.jpg

Then I have another built with an 18" DPMS barrel, VTAC extreme 13" handguard and 1.0 Battlecomp. I use that one for matches that stretch the distance a little farther. I don't have any pictures of that one yet.

Dunderway
06-06-11, 23:30
Several family members owned them since the early 80s and I was always very impressed with the design, quality and shootability. Once the modularity came and I read about how impressive and safe the 5.56 could be for home defense, I just had to get a one. I had toyed with the idea of Mini14s and other nonsense when I was younger, but I'm glad that I waited and bought two high quality M4 clones.

kmrtnsn
06-07-11, 00:13
I bought my first one 20 years ago to shoot National Match with. Two years ago I built my first M4 variant, a Recce, because I was dissatisfied with the configuration of my work M4 and wanted the ability to experiment. Since then I have built another M4 for my wife and a second upper for mine. The Recce was scoped with a 1-4X, the spare upper with a painted R1 and a T1 for my wife's M4 (I know where my bread is buttered!).

Timberwolf
06-07-11, 15:28
I bought my first AR for range shooting, and it multiplied on me. I have a few for various uses, including HD.

Korgs130
06-07-11, 21:25
I shot the M-16 for the first time in basic training over 20 years ago. While been around ARs my entire military career, I never seriously thought about owning one until last year. My initial plan was to get a S&W MP15 from my local Gander Mountain. After a little research I found M4carbine.net. I really learned a lot sorting through all of the great resources available here. As a result I put together a BCM 14.5” Middy instead of going the Gander Mountain route. I couldn’t be happier with the rifle and with all of the outstanding advice I’ve received. I just joined I local Gun Club and look forward to taking some classes down the road.

DaBigBR
06-08-11, 14:28
I bought my first AR-15, a Rock River Arms, while in the police academy in early 2006. Our department did not authorize them, and I had only shot one AR prior to purchasing. I paid $819 for that RRA because the dealer put on a good pitch and I did not know any better. My RRA has been rock-solid reliable and does not suffer from many of the issues common to RRA guns. I actually sold it to another officer and then bought it back (for the same amount of money with ten more mags and a Blackhawk case).

After shooting the AR recreationally for a while, and seeing the momentum in my area for patrol rifles, I started working on my Chief and eventually got approval to carry my personal AR on duty. To celebrate the occasion, I put the knowledge that I had gained after buying the RRA to work and bought a Colt 6920. By the time we actually had the pieces in place to qualify on the rifles, there were seven of us that qualified. We literally shot the 30 round course and if we qualified, we were good to go.

I went to our state's open sight rifle instructor school last fall (was already a handgun/shotgun instructor) and put on my first full patrol rifle school in late April. Three new shooters and three current ones each got about 1,000 rounds over two days. Quite the way distance we have come.

Sciuirse Morrigna
06-08-11, 18:17
I bought into ARs for a few reasons:

1.) I think the M16 is a superb assault rifle for the intended role. The AR only losing the select-fire capability.

2.) It's a very flexible system that can be adapted to suit just about any situation or whim of the owner.

3.) Relatively inexpensive, even for properly built ones.

4.) The standard chambering (5.56x45) is better for personal defense in a home due to the lack of overpenetration of a body, even compared to pistols and buckshot, with proper ammunition. The fragmenting property of that ammo also makes the bullets exceptionally devastating on flesh, especially at close ranges.

5.) It's easy to shoot, and subsequently, to place your rounds well.

6.) Inherent accuracy of the system only improves on the above.

7.) Despite 'net wisdom, I'd found the M193 ammo, from 20" barrels at least, to be quite effective even at extended ranges (300+ meters) on people. Depending on how drugged up they were, they might not have dropped in their tracks, but well placed rounds meant they didn't live long (i.e. under a minute).

8.) A less practical reason, but a reason, nonetheless, is aesthetics -- they are quite beautiful weapons.

9.) A great sporting rifle as well. I've found it quite effective on killing animals that internet wisdom would have you believe can't be killed by the 5.56x45 (deer and hogs).

10.) It's a good, light, easy to shoot weapon to use to "graduate new shooters (young, old, man or woman) to centerfire rifles from rimfires. Easy to use the same plkatform to build skills with irons sights, RDS sights, scopes, bipod shooting, etc by the simple addition and subtraction of quick release accessories.

cochraneap
06-09-11, 13:10
cause I didn't want an AK.

boomhower
06-09-11, 15:31
I'm an LEO and bought one for duty use, and also just plain range fun.

jet66
06-09-11, 16:46
I bought my first personal one this year, after I 'early inherited' the two my dad has owned sine the early/mid-90's. I have to mod/tinker with pretty much everything, and I didn't want to be like 'thanks, dad, now watch me mod them into something completely new.' We shot those two rifles over plenty of 'father-son' moments during the past years, I didn't want to seem ungrateful or non-sentimental by changing them up. (One is a mid-90's, ban-era I assume, Colt A2 'Government/Sporter,' that my dad loves.)

Being a military brat at birth and through my mid-teens, I just like the AR-15/M16, and always have since I could remember. They've always been somewhat familiar, even before I started shooting them in the 90's. I was raised up a bit around rifles, starting out with shooting a bolt-action Remington .22 back around the age of 10. I started shooting pistols regularly once I was old enough to own one and afford one, in the late 80's/early 90's, and have always had one or two that I would get some fairly regular range time with since then.

The LE6920 that I bought myself has already been modded quite a bit, at least aesthetically. Did it need it? Nope, it shot just fine right out of the box. But as I said, I like to tinker/mod EVERYTHING... :D

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/jet1966/ARMods/ARx3.jpg

Top to bottom:
Colt A2 'Gov't/Sporter'
Modded LE6920
BM/OLY U/L mutt, used with .22LR converter.

At some point, I'd really like an SBR. :ph34r:

ALAG5497
06-09-11, 20:02
I grew up pretty ignorant of firearms, as no one in my family was LE or military. Online forums or even a reliable internet hadn't really existed during my formative years, so my exposure to and interest in firearms formed more as a result of handling them (and trying to do it well) as a necessary part of the career path I was most interested in.

After reading all of your stories, I am a little ashamed of my blasphemous "introduction to rifle" story, but here goes.

I never wanted an AR. I had no interest in owning a rifle. :eek:
The only reason I currently own one is because my husband surreptitiously built me an AR while he was building one for himself.

My personal experience with the "whys" and "hows" of this rifle's development are completely ass-backwards.

"what did you choose and why"
I am glad to say that ownership of this AR has unexpectedly created a monster of me. I suppose knowing that so much time, effort and money were put into its build made me extremely interested in the differences between parts, manufacturers, or even from other types of rifles. Because this rifle was built before I realized I wanted one, the "whys" and the "hows" of this AR's build were obviously answered by my husband while he was building it. This is the reason you see exactly ZERO posts from me asking for advice about choices of components or brands. I've since been busy digesting M4C posts and any info I can obtain to school myself on what I have and why it was chosen. Based on what I've been reading, as well as the reactions from colleagues who've examined my AR, I'm ecstatic to discover that the "AR that love built" was carefully tailored for reliability, durability, optimal ergonomics relative to my size and training goals I didn't know I had.

"what is it for?"
Now that I own one, I realize what it can do for me. I never felt that my rifle training at the academy was enough to prepare me to truly operate with one, and I always felt weak on the rifle. It's tough to get training from my agency, even tougher to get their approval for someone else to provide the training, and still tougher yet to get my hands on an agency rifle to use for self-paid training. Ownership of this rifle opens the door for me to get all the personal training I could want or need, within the bounds of my checkbook. I haven't taken my first rifle course yet, so the jury is still out on how it interacts with my gear. I'm planning on two rifle courses before the year is out.

Oh - and Mr. ALAG5497, if you are reading this... You were right. I realize now that deep down, I did want a rifle even though I loudly and very often claimed I did not. :D

drsal
06-09-11, 21:38
Why an AR ? Because I was not allowed to qualify as team doc for a local SWAT team with an AK :p

Santa Cruz Armory
06-09-11, 21:40
Because the AR-15 is like the Chevy 350 of the gun world. So many possibilities! :D

John_Burns
06-09-11, 23:44
I bought my first AR in 94 because they said I should not have one.

Bushy with the 11.5 barrel with the silly 4.5 flash suppressor. Got it on a good deal??:D

Shot it about 50 times and decided it need a date with the milling machine to remove the carry handle and one custom scope base later I started to think this thing has some potential to be useful.

The upper has changed (barrels and tubes) a lot but it still kills stuff on a regular basis and can hit things at long range that make a lot of bolt guns blush.

I have 3 work ARs now and shoot them more than ever for everything from close range high speed drills to working on long range precision.

The platform is pretty special and I would be hard pressed to find anything that fits it's niche at any level.

aaron_c
06-09-11, 23:51
I bought mine to A) enjoy at the range and B) enjoy building, modifying, changing, re-building, re-changing...lol. Both have been very much accomplished, and I'm far less fearful of zombies now.

mtdawg169
06-10-11, 09:13
When I bought my first AR almost 8 years ago, my buddies all asked, "what's that for?" My response was always, because I can and it pisses off Hillary Clinton / libs. :)