PDA

View Full Version : Review: RS Products "AKM" 30mm AK optics mount

MilitaryArms
06-02-11, 09:57
There's a new AK mount on the market called the "AKM" and it's being made by a company called RS Products. I've been evaluating the mount for a couple of weeks now and have posted a review of the product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkRvMUVal3U

Questions and comments are welcome.

Code3Patriot
06-02-11, 10:50
Great presentation. Looks like a good mounting solution, I may have to give one a try.

ForTehNguyen
06-02-11, 18:34
do you have to have the sidebar on the receiver to use this? My AMD65 and my other AK dont have that sidebar =/

TOrrock
06-02-11, 19:15
do you have to have the sidebar on the receiver to use this? My AMD65 and my other AK dont have that sidebar =/

Yes, you need a Warsaw Pact style scope rail.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57468

TOrrock
06-02-11, 19:24
Video was very well done.

ForTehNguyen
06-02-11, 21:28
nuts, where there goes that idea

TOrrock
06-02-11, 21:44
nuts, where there goes that idea

Have a smith who knows what he's doing install this and you'd be GTG.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16170&cat=381&page=1

Heavy Metal
06-02-11, 22:10
Troy Sellars at INRANGE can do it in his sleep.

NCPatrolAR
06-02-11, 22:21
Nice video. I've enjoyed the RS mount since the day I put it on my 74.

MilitaryArms
06-02-11, 22:56
I'm thinking of having a side rail put on my Draco for this sight. It's just that good to go.

Heavy Metal
06-02-11, 23:19
The only downside I can see is with a Krink and the hinged top-cover.

96 SS
06-02-11, 23:50
Thanks for the review video!

I know a lot of people are really enthused about the mount. One of my favorites is:

"A superbly designed and extremely well made mount that the AK market has been in need of for a very long time. Serious AK fans look no further for your side rail mount needs!"
- Larry Vickers, Vickers Tactical

Reference the AKS-74U issue, I am working on a different base that would potentially work for those just fine. I am targeting T1 optics for the U as I think those with krinks are looking for small and light.

2-BPM
06-16-11, 16:41
what stock is on the AK in the video?

MilitaryArms
06-16-11, 17:46
what stock is on the AK in the video?
That is the best AK stock I've ever used. There are two models. The one you see in the video is a metal hinged Galil style folder and the other is a polymer hinge. Both are very well made and have some unique features. They're sold by The Mako Group and are manufactured by FAB Defense.

The one seen in the video is $400 (it's not a typo) and the polymer version is $144. I'll have a video of the two different stocks here soon, perhaps as early as this weekend.

2-BPM
06-16-11, 18:25
you lost me at "Mako" and "plastic hinge", but i fully appreciate the relpy. Awesome review by the way, its making me rethink my current set up!

MilitaryArms
06-16-11, 18:35
you lost me at "Mako" and "plastic hinge", but i fully appreciate the relpy. Awesome review by the way, its making me rethink my current set up!

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the polymer hinge. Wait until you see this in the review. It's not cheap or fragile in the slightest. It's designed for use by the IDF on captured AK's and it's very well built. The Galil hinge is my preference, just because I like how it folds/locks as it's something I'm used to. Plus it's a little shorter in overall length. But both stocks are simply the best there is for the AK right now, IMHO.