PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss Z Point Or Aimpoint T1...?

SteyrAUG
06-02-11, 17:06
Now that I have come to learn that both will co witness on UMPs and G36s I'm going to take the summer to learn how to adapt to the micro ret dot.

As I have some old timer habits it took awhile to transition to red dots in general, and especially to not treat the tube varieties like a traditional tube scope. I have much better luck with single plane RDS like Eotechs but they won't co witness many firearms and I prefer to be able to use BUIS.

In any case I know the T1 is the big favorite here for being durable and reliable. But the Z point interests me simply because it has the solar cell / battery hybrid feature. Something inside me hates to bet all the marbles on a battery so the solar daylight feature is very appealing.

My concerns are of course Zeiss (especially Zeiss USA) isn't quite the same as what it meant 20 years ago.

So my question is does anyone have experience with both and have opinions on why I should skip the Z point and only go with the T1?

MichaelVain
06-02-11, 18:03
I bought Z point years ago and attached it to my USP Tactical via rail system. That was a disaster as the rail system chewed into the rails.

I then put it on my MP5K, and loved it. It clamps down well and co-witnesses with HK sights. I tried it with the MR556 but decided to go with the Comp2.

The Z Point for a recreational shooter perspective is nice that you don't need a mount. You can quickly attach and detach. It can go on a sub gun, SBR, or pistol.

I like the T1, but it seems that the mount you choose only co witnesses with a limited number of flip up sights due to height.

I believe if you use the short rail for the G36, it seems it will co witness.

SteyrAUG
06-03-11, 00:01
I believe if you use the short rail for the G36, it seems it will co witness.

My G36s is actually a G36K SBR conversion of a SL8.

You mentioned co witness on the MP5. Which mount are you using that permits that?

Magic_Salad0892
06-03-11, 02:59
My G36s is actually a G36K SBR conversion of a SL8.

You mentioned co witness on the MP5. Which mount are you using that permits that?

KAC's mount should permit co-witness, IIRC.

MichaelVain
06-03-11, 07:30
Steyr,

I was using the B&T rail (lemme see if I can find an old picture) on the MP5. I then put the Zpoint (mine has it's own mount built in, I think they all do right?), on the mount.

I found the picture. As you can see, it's not a perfect co-witness, but I'm pretty sure that this setup worked. I don't have it setup this way anymore though, so I apologize for not being able to give you fresh-memory opinions as this was about 5 years ago.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/michaelvain/MP5KBeta-1.jpg

TOrrock
06-03-11, 14:39
I have not used the Zeiss, but I can't imagine it's tougher, more durable, or longer lasting than an Aimpoint Micro.

SteyrAUG
06-03-11, 14:53
I have not used the Zeiss, but I can't imagine it's tougher, more durable, or longer lasting than an Aimpoint Micro.

I sorta suspect that as well. And as stated it is only the hybrid that makes me consider it. I might just have to buy both and find out.

SteyrAUG
06-03-11, 14:54
KAC's mount should permit co-witness, IIRC.

Here is the rail I'm talking about.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/787/00000000020eu0.jpg

The G36 is the top rail with irons.

On the UMP to use a C more and have irons I actually had to use a riser mount which is far from ideal. IN addition to putting the optics higher than I'd prefer, the see through mount irons is hardly fast on the target.

armakraut
06-03-11, 17:32
Aimpoint Micro is a much better sight.

Five year battery life (turned on!), extremely durable.

et2041
06-04-11, 09:03
Here is the rail I'm talking about.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/787/00000000020eu0.jpg

The G36 is the top rail with irons.

On the UMP to use a C more and have irons I actually had to use a riser mount which is far from ideal. IN addition to putting the optics higher than I'd prefer, the see through mount irons is hardly fast on the target.

Steyr: Did you do a thread on that G-36K conversion process? I'd love to hear more about it....and cost.

RD62
06-04-11, 10:37
Unless you have NVG capability (which I do not) I would also consider the H-1.

I have been very satisfied with all of my Aimpoints and the H-1 in particular.

SteyrAUG
06-05-11, 23:55
Aimpoint Micro is a much better sight.

Five year battery life (turned on!), extremely durable.

I was unaware of that battery life span. That does change things a bit.

Thanks.

SteyrAUG
06-05-11, 23:56
Steyr: Did you do a thread on that G-36K conversion process? I'd love to hear more about it....and cost.

I purchased it as a completed SBR. Basic stock block conversion of a SL8.