PDA

View Full Version : P30 for a 1911 fan

acaixguard
06-02-11, 20:38
Hello, been shooting 1911s for a few years, but looking for a more modern and lower maintenance 9mm for range, training, and occasional CCW. My requirements are good track record, exact same trigger pull on each shot, and decent trigger pull (not expecting it to be like a custom 1911, but shouldn't be too heavy, mushy, or too long)

I originally considered a Glock 19, but decided the ergonomics, while tolerable for me, could be improved. That led me to weigh heavily on the M&P9. Felt great in my hand, and I shot pretty well with it too (though, I did sample the Pro version). I like how it points more like a 1911 than a Glock does, and I also like the thumb safety option.

However, I've now been contemplating the HK P30, which opens up a whole new can of worms. Was wondering if anyone who has experience with the P30 and M&P9 can answer the following:

1. With the HK, there is the P30S option. Is it common to carry the P30 (or HK45) cocked and locked?
2. How would the LEM trigger compare to the P30S carried cocked and locked?
3. Some things I like better about the M&P is the lower bore axis and the more traditional mag release. Also, it's a lot cheaper. Other than the price though, are these things enough reason that have made knowledgeable shooters choose the M&P over the P30?

I did search this site for info, but didn't see a whole lot of direct comparisons on the issues above. Thanks in advance!

F-Trooper05
06-02-11, 21:01
1. With the HK, there is the P30S option. Is it common to carry the P30 (or HK45) cocked and locked?

It's one of the less common methods of carrying HK's, but you wouldn't be the first to do it.

The LEM is basically like a single action trigger with a very lonnnnnngggggg take-up. The benefit of it though, is that you don't have to mess around with a safety.

3. Some things I like better about the M&P is the lower bore axis and the more traditional mag release. Also, it's a lot cheaper. Other than the price though, are these things enough reason that have made knowledgeable shooters choose the M&P over the P30?

Honestly, a P30 would have the worst trigger of the three guns you listed. And even though I'm a die-hard HK fanboy, I would recommend either a Glock or an M&P to most 1911 shooters as you people tend to be very trigger-picky. ;)

rathos
06-02-11, 21:18

While not many of them carry a P30 or HK45, 99% of the deputies in my department that carry an HK carry it cocked and locked. The consistency from pull to pull is what they like.

The P30 lem triggers are a bit heavier in their standard version. Mine was about 7 pounds. The light lem gets closer to single action (I think 4 or 5 lbs), but as mentioned previously the P30 has a lot of take up.

going from a 1911 to a M&P with the thumb safety is a pretty easy transition. Although instead of a 1911, I would say the M&P is more like a Browning Hi Power. They both have a decent trigger pull with a spongy reset that can be hard to find. While APEX and even the newer S&W guns have taken steps to help this, the reset is not near as positive as most guns out there.

I have owned both the p30 and the M&P 9mm and I can't say there was an advantage to either of them, other then I could buy 2 M&P's for the cost of a P30 and the P30 mags cost about 40% more then the M&P. There are also not as many holster options out there for the p30 (although manufacturers are catching up).

Overall I think you would be happier with the M&P. For the cost of a P30 you can get your gun, mags holster and a few hundred rounds of ammo.

badness
06-02-11, 21:30
as a fan of the 1911 also, of the two i'd easily choose the p30s (or p30ls) in variant 3. Even the the v3 is da/sa and does not have the same trigger pull from first to last shot, i would also have it cocked and locked anyways and the sa trigger on it is actually very nice. That way it will be in sa mode always and always be consistent. Yes, the bore axis makes a difference a little, but it is hardly noticable.

The p30 is quite expensive though, that's the only major downside i'd see.

I don't have any experience with LEM models so i can't comment on that.

Personally my next plastic gun will be either an hk45 or p30ls v3 or USP in either 9mm or .40.

chilic82
06-02-11, 21:45
I would go M&P. Better trigger,user tuneable trigger, safety, lower bore, easily customizable, more holster options, more sight options. I don't see anything the P30 has over the M&P, and I've owned a couple of them.

Hunter Rose
06-02-11, 21:50
If you're a 1911 fan and like/prefer cocked and locked carry, the P30S or P30LS hands down. I started out as a 1911/Browning Hi-Power fan. To me, the P30LS is the modern interpretation of the Browning Hi-Power Mark-3. The ambi-safeties feel similar and the SA trigger pull/reset of the P30 feels very close to the three Mark 3's I have owned.

If going away from C&L'd, I'd try to test fire an LEM version before purchase, some love the LEM, others hate it.

YVK
06-02-11, 21:52
There is a number of ergonomic differences between 1911 and P30, so concentrating on trigger gives very limited view. Speaking of trigger, the reset on P30 is about twice longer than on Glock and even more so longer than on 1911

The safety on P30s is positioned differently than on 1911. Folks who are used to ride safety on 1911 sometimes have hard time doing so on P30s. I never shot P30s, but I've played with one and safety position left me wondering.

On the other hand, if you are used to riding a 1911 safety and you go with regular safety-less P30, LEM or otherwise, I'd bet you dollars to donuts you'll have interference issues with slide release - which you may, or may not overcome with practice.

crazymoose
06-03-11, 01:49
Strongly suggest trying one before you buy. I'm a 1911 and Glock guy (and I really like the CZ's, although that might get me blacklisted around here). The plastic HK's have a lot going for them in terms of engineering and reliability, but the triggers suck. There's no nice way to put it. The "match" trigger sucks a bit less, and the LEM seems to suck least of all. But none of the plastic HK's I've owned or shot has ever had a trigger that will satisfy most people who like the Glock or 1911 for their triggers.

Hogsgunwild
06-03-11, 17:58
After reading the replies to this thread, I see (more than ever) how each individual's perception and preference for each type / brand of trigger is such an individual and personal choice.

My preference mirrors some here and is 180 degrees opposite of others here. Being a long time 1911 fan and having owned seven Glocks since 1991, I find the P30's single action trigger to be far superior to the Glock trigger and the M&P trigger (for me).
In fairness to the M&P, I have only shot two of them but did not consider purchasing one after that.

will_dearborn919
06-07-11, 08:06
I have a P30 and my best friend has the newer M&P 9mm, we swap out all the time while shooting, and honestly the both have pro's and con's that almost cancel each other out. The biggest con on an M&P is, yes, the trigger reset, it blows. But the biggest PRO, in my opinion, is there is a huge aftermarket on them and plenty of variations of trigger kits to fix it. P30....almost no after market what so ever but lots of factory options, and you're buy an HK and it will most likely outlast your grand kids with the warranty to boot. I find it kind of hard to also compare a striker fire and hammer fire gun too. Different animals. But they are both awesome guns and you wil be happy as a pig in shit with either I think, I too am a 1911 owner that bought a p30 and it's hard to compare them too.

C4IGrant
06-07-11, 08:39
Being a 1911 guy, I will try and give you some guidance.

If you want a trigger that is "close" to that of a 1911, you really need to look at only two guns. They are the Walther PPQ and the M&P WITH the Apex Tactical forward setting sear & trigger system. Both guns (to include the Apex components in the M&P) are MUCH cheaper than the HK P30 (which won't give you a trigger that is anything like that of a 1911).

If you like the controls on the HK P30, then the Walther PPQ will match up well for you. If you like a more traditional slide and mag release, then the M&P is the way to go.

C4

06-07-11, 09:06
I have the DA/SA version with decocker, HK P-30. Coming from the Beretta M9 the M9 has a better trigger pull. But I do find it manageable and I will keep it as a carry gun. It has smoothed out, now it is just heavy. Try the LEM or S version before you buy. The grip options are nice.