PDA

View Full Version : Sig p226 9mm conversion or 40cal?

pbmaster2k89
06-02-11, 21:29
i dont want the .357 because of the prices i have seen so please dont suggest it, but which one is better for self defence? ive seen and been told that the 9mm has very good penetrating power compared to the 40 cal.

KhanRad
06-02-11, 22:19
Are you saying that you already own one of these pistols and calibers? If so, stick with which ever one that you have as they both get the job done well.

The 9mm is an excellent caliber which is why it is still the most used around the world since 1908. It has improved quite a bit in the last 20 years with modern bullet designs like the Ranger Talon, HST, and Gold Dot. The benefits that you gain in using the .40S&W are mostly laboratory results in penetration through winshields and "slightly" better expansion. So, yes.......the .40 is technically superior when it comes to terminal(stopping) effects........but it is VERY hard to show this in real shootings. The shooter's control of the firearm, tactics, and shot placement are infinitally more important than deciding what to shoot(9mm, .40, or .45). The biggest downside to using the .40 is that it is more jumpy, is harder on pistols, and requires a stiffer recoil spring. So, this decreases pistol handling compared to the 9mm. It's pretty hard to find a shooter that shoots .40S&W as well as they can shoot 9mm. Also, from my observations with various makes/models of firearms that the .40s don't seem to be quite as accurate as 9mm, and certainly not as accurate as .45acp.

I'd avoid the .357sig. Lots of noise, flash, recoil, and money for a caliber that really hard to distinguish as being any more effective than 9mm.

Timbonez
06-02-11, 23:01
I suggest you read DocGKR's thread on Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

KhanRad has some good info. If you already own one of these calibers stick with it. They are both viable.

pbmaster2k89
06-03-11, 10:34
cool, thanks for ur help. ill read up on that.

Timberwolf
06-07-11, 15:41
I personally love the .40 round, but I honestly don't know if I see enough of a difference between it and 9mm to justify the $4 more per box of even the cheapest ammunition. If you reload, this may be a non-issue.

interfan
06-07-11, 19:30
I suggest you read DocGKR's thread on Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

KhanRad has some good info. If you already own one of these calibers stick with it. They are both viable.

Excellent reads. The "Keys" at the bottom of the DocGKR's first post are what is forgotten with most discussions on 9 vs 40 vs 45; but more important than caliber or weapons system chosen.

KhanRad: How do you like TAPs? Hype or a good projectile?

LanceOregon
06-07-11, 20:03
Are you saying that you already own one of these pistols and calibers?

Perhaps he is considering buying the gun in .40 S&W, and then also buying a 9mm conversion barrel so he can shoot both calibers out of the gun? The title of his post is really not clear to me either.

KhanRad
06-07-11, 21:15
KhanRad: How do you like TAPs? Hype or a good projectile?

From what testing I've seen it seems to be a pretty good load. I'd put it in the same class as the Ranger Talon.

oddballmkg
06-07-11, 21:23
I’ve done the 9mm conversion to a newer .40 caliber P226. At the time I did it, the frames between the old and newer P226 versions where the same. I’m not sure if they are still same on the new guns. You will need a new barrel, slide, 20lb recoil spring and magazines. The slide cost me about 275.00 dollars and the barrel ran around 150.00 dollars. I’ve put about 5,000 rounds of 9mm though the gun. The pistol seems to be as reliable as my other 3 P226 9mm pistols. I did the conversion because I did not care that much for .40 S&W. I reload all my pistol ammo and .40 S&W just made harder to separate 45 ACP and 9mm brass.

KhanRad
06-07-11, 22:17
I personally love the .40 round, but I honestly don't know if I see enough of a difference between it and 9mm to justify the $4 more per box of even the cheapest ammunition. If you reload, this may be a non-issue.

I agree that the .40S&W has a lot of potential. The biggest thing that it has going against it is that it fits in a 9mm action. So, the caliber rarely gets the engineering attention that it deserves to make it really excel. Most manufacturers make a universal production line to cater to 9mm/40/357 with only minor changes for each caliber.

The .40S&W needs a slightly longer cycle action than the 9mm in order to help absorb more recoil. The reason a .45acp feels so mild compared to a .45gap is because of the longer action which spreads the recoil over a longer cycle distance. A longer action on the .40S&W would reduce felt recoil, reduce wear-n-tear on the pistol, and increase accuracy since the action can be left in battery longer before the barrel lock-up disengages. Many 10mm pistols that have been converted to shoot .40S&W(longer action) are actually more accurate than many .45acp pistols. The Witness I did such a conversion to also felt like I was shooting a 9mm.