PDA

View Full Version : AK47 Furniture and Accessories... Whats good?

blackgt85
06-03-11, 00:40
I picked up my first AK47, a Century WASR-10. Shoots good, and the sight is not canted.... Now that I have shot it, I wanna upgrade/replace the stock and handguard. I am leaning towards either a sidefolder, or possibly a standard stock. I want polymer. I have read that UTG stuff is crap, so what are some good brands? I was considering Tapco or ATI. Any guidance would be appreciated. And I did try the search, both last night and tonight, to no avail. Thanks!

Justin

Mikey
06-03-11, 01:17
KVAR
http://www.k-var.com/

Mike

Iraqgunz
06-03-11, 01:24
Even though you bought a marginal AK, do not make it worse by adding Crapco or ATI to it.

blackgt85
06-03-11, 01:43
I mainly bought the WASR so I could see if I liked the AK platform... So far, I am liking it. Liking it enough that I am considering an Arsenal AK. But, that will have to hold off til about next year. So, I guess I will just do some minor "upgrades" to this one. I have enough buddys who would be willing to buy it when I get my Arsenal, or I just may keep this one as the "beater".

The more I think about it, I will probably go with K-Var's polymer NATO length stock, handguard, and grip package. Thanks for the input so far.

Justin

RUSKI
06-03-11, 04:39
I have a 7.62 I.O. inc AK that came with a Tapco side folding stock (I have yet to have a problem with the stock. YES I know Tapco sucks I just didnt bother swapping it out yet). I took off the Tapco handguard and replaced it with a CAA polymer quadrail handguard which sucked. I ended up getting a M.I. aluminum quadrail and love it. It is a great quadrail with several thousand rounds fired. My Vortex Strikefire holds zero sitting on top of the gas tube just fine, and the handguard has yet to shift. I highly recommend the M.I. universal quadrail.

TOrrock
06-03-11, 06:43
Understand that the NATO stock has about the same LOP as a M16A2 stock, and the Warsaw Pact is standard, similar to the M16A1 in LOP.

I'm 6'2" and MUCH prefer the standard Warsaw Pact

SBushong
06-03-11, 08:09
I wouldn't spend too much money on accessories for a WASR -it just doesn't make a lot of financial sense. But, here are some things you might consider:

A good two point sling, like a VCAS
An "enhanced" extended safety - Krebs, US Palm, etc.
A US Palm pistol grip.

You really don't need to dress it up any more than that. If you want polymer stocks, go for it, but it does not enhance the functionality of the rifle. For mounting an optic, the Ultimak rail seems to be the gold standard.

DaBears_85
06-03-11, 10:07
The more I think about it, I will probably go with K-Var's polymer NATO length stock, handguard, and grip package. Thanks for the input so far.

Yeah, K-Var is going to be your best bet.

Understand that the NATO stock has about the same LOP as a M16A2 stock, and the Warsaw Pact is standard, similar to the M16A1 in LOP.

I'm 6'2" and MUCH prefer the standard Warsaw Pact

I'd recommend starting off with a Warsaw-length stock as well, the LOP on the NATO-length is a little too much (YMMV, of course). If it ends up being too short for your liking you can always sell it and try the intermediate-length version.

I wouldn't spend too much money on accessories for a WASR -it just doesn't make a lot of financial sense. But, here are some things you might consider:

A good two point sling, like a VCAS
An "enhanced" extended safety - Krebs, US Palm, etc.
A US Palm pistol grip.

You really don't need to dress it up any more than that. If you want polymer stocks, go for it, but it does not enhance the functionality of the rifle. For mounting an optic, the Ultimak rail seems to be the gold standard.

US Palm pistol grips are an excellent choice as well.

J

Moose-Knuckle
06-03-11, 15:56
Focus on ammo and mags. The others steered you in the right direction. Warsaw length buttstock and K-VAR handguards. I would opt for a US Palm/TD AKBG (pistol grip). Good sling, I'd suggest VCAS with Templar's AK mod.

Hizzie
06-03-11, 16:45
Pistol Grips-Hogue and MD Arms "Molot Grip" are my top 2 and affordable.

Handguards-Midwest Industries, Ultimak, K-Var and Tapco (railed lower handguard w/heat shield-like PB&J with Magpul AFG).

Folding Stock-Romanian/East German/Polish wire side folders. only other good option is the ACE but $$$.

Magazines-Com-Bloc steel. Avoid USA mags and the Korean junk.

m4brian
06-03-11, 17:22
I'd go with Warsaw Pact length - you'd have to be about 6'6 to 'need' NATO length.

KVAR hanguard lower has the heat shield - this is good.

REGULAR grip is fine.

The best deal on mags by a LONG shot are the Albanian 'Chinese' type - they are smooth on the back and very high quality - AIM sells them at a VERY good price. Buy 10, and you'll never need more mags.

WASRs can be very decent AKs.

calvin118
06-03-11, 18:12
I'm 6'8" and Warsaw works fine for me. You'd have to be Shaq to 'need' NATO.

I prefer the Hogue or ATI grip.

I tried the MI rail and didn't like it. It adds 10 ounces over the ultimak/kvar handguard combo, and this is noticeable. Additionally, it is not long enough to mount a light and still have room for your support hand.

I didn't like the Tapco handguard either. The material did not feel as sturdy as the KVAR, and you need to remove the heat shield to use it with the ultimak. I noticed it heating up more than the shielded KVAR. I like and AFG/VFG on an AR, but they do not work well for me on an AK where my support hand is much closer in.

Go with the ultimak/KVAR handguard combo.

texasyid
06-03-11, 21:53
Even though you bought a marginal AKDid you see the industry professional under his name. His advice is sage as is others on this board. I wouldn't drop a dime on that gun. Save your pennies for that Arsenal. SGL-21 is a good deal. I understand you are excited about your gun as you should be but shoot it and enjoy it the way it is and move up to that Arsenal later. My .02.

Fail-Safe
06-03-11, 22:14
WASRs, assuming you get a good one which it sounds as if you did, are quite serviceable rifles. A good WASR can run with higher end AKs all day. In fact some AK trainers use WASRs as class guns that they lend to students. These WASRs have well into the 5 digits in round counts. Its a mistake to dismiss the WAsR.

blackgt85
06-04-11, 00:25
Did you see the industry professional under his name. His advice is sage as is others on this board. I wouldn't drop a dime on that gun. Save your pennies for that Arsenal. SGL-21 is a good deal. I understand you are excited about your gun as you should be but shoot it and enjoy it the way it is and move up to that Arsenal later. My .02.

Oh, trust me, I hold Iraqgunz's opinions/knowledge in high regards. The saving up for an Arsenal is not a problem, just not feasible this year as I have a wedding to pay for. So, in the meantime, I will be stocking up on mags and ammo when I find deals.

My biggest thing that I dislike is the wooden stock. It just doesn't seat my shoulder well.... And if I am switching that out, well the handguards gotta go too. Really not that big of a deal to buy and swap that stuff out. Whatever Arsenal I go with, will be a milled reciever. When I spend big bucks, I do so smartly, hence the AR's I own.... Colt LE6920 and BCM Middy. I was well aware of the "shortcomings" of the WASR, but it is cheaper than spending $1000 plus on a platform I wasn't sure if I liked.

Please don't think I am butthurt over people saying its a low quality AK. I'm not like a DPMS, Oly, BM, or RRA owner! But I do appreciate everybodys input, and look forward to more opinions/experiences.

Justin