PDA

View Full Version : PMag info. request

greatblade
06-03-11, 00:44
I'm in the middle of a new build using a stripped Noveske lower. After installing the mag release and doing a functional check I found out my windowless PMags (which are older) did not drop yet my windowed PMags and USGI mags dropped effortlessly. Is there a thickness difference between the two PMags? Am I able to safely shave down the windowless PMag?

The weird thing is that all my mags drop freely on my Stag lower.

greatblade
06-03-11, 02:16
Oh OK. So the newer Pmags have been updated to fit better. Got it.

fireblast713
06-03-11, 02:18
as you said older pmags don't drop free as easily, you can safely hit them with some sandpaper to make it easier for them to

Hmac
06-03-11, 07:22
Even some of the newer Pmags don't drop readily from two of my three Noveske lowers.

punkey71
06-03-11, 10:09
I've had problems with the newer Pmags as well.

I had problems dropping free with 2 of 3 spikes stripped lowers.

I sold the spikes lowers and just got 3 BCM blems from Grant and the same mags drop free from the BCM's.

It's seems hit and miss regardless of Pmag age. It seems some lowers are just a little bigger than others.

Harold

kaltesherz
06-03-11, 10:52
The really old Pmags have 2 bumps on the rear that need to be filed off before they'll drop free.

sammage
06-03-11, 11:00
Hit these tabs with a dremel, and watch em drop free.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/sammage/BLKFDEWindowedPMAG.jpg

ccosby
06-03-11, 11:30
I've had problems with the newer Pmags as well.

I had problems dropping free with 2 of 3 spikes stripped lowers.

I sold the spikes lowers and just got 3 BCM blems from Grant and the same mags drop free from the BCM's.

It's seems hit and miss regardless of Pmag age. It seems some lowers are just a little bigger than others.

Harold

Seems to depend on the run for the pmags as well. I have some older ones that for the most part work fine in everything I have but have some from around the election that don't always drop free. Have a few newer ones that seem to work fine again. I will say I've had misc p-mags I've gotten over time where say one or two of them out of a few I bought had issues dropping free on some guns where the others would. Few of them have started to drop free once they got some use on them.

punkey71
06-03-11, 11:55
Seems to depend on the run for the pmags as well. I have some older ones that for the most part work fine in everything I have but have some from around the election that don't always drop free. Have a few newer ones that seem to work fine again. I will say I've had misc p-mags I've gotten over time where say one or two of them out of a few I bought had issues dropping free on some guns where the others would. Few of them have started to drop free once they got some use on them.

Very interesting...thanks.

I don't know if some manufactures are requesting/getting lowers with slightly larger magwells to accommodate the larger size of some pmags or not. Regardless I've got three bcm's that drop them. However, when I say drop them that is about 15 of my open mags...I have 60 or so more NIP that I haven't checked. Perhaps I'll have a problem when I open them...I don't know. I guess I'll just sand down the problem mags and call it a day if I need to.

Thanks for you info. It seems no matter what lower or when your pmags are made, they may or may not drop...

Harold

ccosby
06-03-11, 14:24
Thanks for you info. It seems no matter what lower or when your pmags are made, they may or may not drop...

Pretty much I think that sums it up. I will say the lowers with looser mag wells work with most of my pmags. It is a small few that have issues across multiple ones.

My older smith and wesson for instance worked with most of them but had issues with quite a few. Haven't noticed it as much with my lmt sbr but I have had a few that wouldn't always drop free.

punkey71
06-03-11, 14:33
Pretty much I think that sums it up. I will say the lowers with looser mag wells work with most of my pmags. It is a small few that have issues across multiple ones.

My older smith and wesson for instance worked with most of them but had issues with quite a few. Haven't noticed it as much with my lmt sbr but I have had a few that wouldn't always drop free.

And thats the sad part....lowers are what most of us have shipped to us (can't inspect before we buy). If only we could bring a pmag (or whatever your mag of choice is) to the local shop and test the lower before we drop the dime (for a DD, LMT, BCM etc). I don't have that luxury.

Harold

punkey71
06-03-11, 15:01
Hit these tabs with a dremel, and watch em drop free.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/sammage/BLKFDEWindowedPMAG.jpg

BTW....sammage has it right from what I've read.

Hit those spots and you're GTG.

Harold

greatblade
06-03-11, 16:47
Fantastic replies! Thanks to everybody!

greatblade
06-03-11, 20:24
Zapped the tabs with a Dremmel and now the mags drop like they should. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!