PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 Gen 4: Who is Getting One? **Range Report**

Gargoyle
06-03-11, 12:46
Mine should be in next Tues for a complete testing and eval...

Page 2 for report

Sabre675
06-03-11, 13:17
I've bought every .45 that glock has put out. So, yes. Got one reserved. Hope it's not JUNK.

JHC
06-03-11, 14:09
The first two user reports I've seen have been highly complimentary with just a few hundred rounds through each gun. Highlights mentioned were better than expected trigger and soft recoil (for a .45).

When I snatched up my gettin' place's last RTF2 G21 SF I half intended to check it out for awhile and flip it for a Gen 4 G21 later - when I expected the Gen 4 version to be much further off in the future. However this RTF2 G21 is so nice, I can't do that now.

It'll be fun to watch.

Gargoyle
06-03-11, 15:01
Best thing about this upgrade is I don't have to replace magazines, holsters, etc.

buckjay
06-03-11, 15:44
Is there any way to tell what Gen Glock you have? I inherited my dads G21 which he purchased around ~1997.

AngeredKabar
06-03-11, 16:39
Is there any way to tell what Gen Glock you have? I inherited my dads G21 which he purchased around ~1997.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1025

buckjay
06-03-11, 16:45
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1025

Thanks!

bigghoss
06-03-11, 16:56
I'm going to get either a 21 or 30 for my next gun (unless a killer deal falls into my lap) and I was going to get either in a gen 3 SF. however if I see favorable reports of the gen 4s I may get one instead.

Timbonez
06-03-11, 17:03
Gargoyle, I'm looking forward to your report on the Gen4 Glock 21. I'm interested in purchasing one.

Sabre675
06-03-11, 17:29
The first two user reports I've seen have been highly complimentary .

Where have you seen this? I've seen nothing so far.

ehcarl2983
06-03-11, 18:34
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?993-Gen4-G21-......-after-swearing-off-Gen4-GLOCKs/page3

JHC
06-03-11, 20:34
Where have you seen this? I've seen nothing so far.

What ehcarl posted and a new owner on GT with similiar tale.

Sabre675
06-04-11, 01:11
Sounds good.

buckjay
06-04-11, 01:16
So how many of you are actually thinking about upgrading from a previous gen?

While it looks nice, it doesn't seem like its really worth it to me.

Gargoyle
06-04-11, 08:53

Looking forward to the various grip thickness/inserts and hopefully will be able to end "skateboard tape" jobs with the new grip.

misanthropist
06-04-11, 10:08
I'm a G20 guy myself, but you know, close enough.

I currently run a Gen 3 G20sf. I won't be switching it up for a Gen 4 at this time. Why? The gen4 version MAY run. My gen3 DOES run.

Personally I don't really understand anyone who has a choice in the matter going to the gen4s yet.

I hope and believe that they will run great at some point...but is this that point? Why not wait until we KNOW they run at least as well as the gen3s?

I mean freedom from skateboard tape is great and all...and grip inserts too...but far and away the overriding concern for me is "does the gun run?"

At this point I think the gen4s are way too much of an unknown quantity to look at changing over.

bubba04
06-04-11, 10:10
I wont be getting one anytime soon due to being strapped for cash, however I hope for it to be one of my purchases in 2012.

Gargoyle
06-04-11, 11:39
I'm a G20 guy myself, but you know, close enough.

I currently run a Gen 3 G20sf. I won't be switching it up for a Gen 4 at this time. Why? The gen4 version MAY run. My gen3 DOES run.

Personally I don't really understand anyone who has a choice in the matter going to the gen4s yet.

I hope and believe that they will run great at some point...but is this that point? Why not wait until we KNOW they run at least as well as the gen3s?

I mean freedom from skateboard tape is great and all...and grip inserts too...but far and away the overriding concern for me is "does the gun run?"

At this point I think the gen4s are way too much of an unknown quantity to look at changing over.

The same risk is run every time you buy a new gun, even a new Gen 3. What really gave me the green light was the talk of the two piece recoil assembly and its shortcomings. Well, my G30SF has a two piece/spring recoil assembly and it has run 100% in the last 3 years. I also read the ititial shortcomings happened with the first runs of Gen 4 9mms. Hopefully the quirks have been worked out. I shall report.

PRTrooper
06-04-11, 12:32
My agency is transitioning to 45's this fall (from Sig .40's). The Glock 21 (gen 4 I presume) is one of the finalists in the evaluation process; the other so-called frontrunner is some variation of the SW M&P 45. I've never been an SW auto fan and I am truly hoping the Glock gets the nod; I'm hearing rumors that the SW is the choice based on the deal offered by them (buy-back old guns, ammo stocks, providing new leather, etc.) :(

HK45
06-04-11, 14:57
Eh I'm pretty tempted. 9mm is fine for me these days but i still have a certain amount of nostalgia for .45's.

FAM29
06-04-11, 21:06
I hope they don't have any major issues. My department is switching to those this summer. According to a CS rep at Glock there on backorder, I think its because were a small department that we aren't a high priority.

newyork
06-05-11, 10:08
Will the grip with no backstraps be similar to the G21SF grip size?

Gargoyle
06-05-11, 12:05

Thats what the Glock rep at the shot show 11 stated. Give me till next Wed and alot of questions will be answered.

newyork
06-05-11, 12:43
Staying tuned in

Gatorbait
06-05-11, 16:14
I was interested in getting one, then I learned I could not use my AA conversion kits(gen 3) with it. :sad:

spartan09
06-05-11, 16:20
Is there anything about the large frame designs that makes it more likely they will be less problematic in Gen 4 configuration than the 9mm/.40 frame size?

Timbonez
06-05-11, 19:21

All of the Gen4s to date have a 2mm smaller backstrap when nothing is used. Using the medium backstrap gives the same size as the third generation guns. The 2mm larger backstrap will be larger. I don't see why Glock would change this formula for the larger framed Glocks (i.e. 21 and 20). The SF seen on some of the third generation guns use a 2mm smaller grip size than the typical third gen, so what you're asking should be a true.

TAZ
06-05-11, 23:36
Picked one up this weekend and so far I am liking it. I didnt upgrade to the Gen4 as I still have my Gen3G21SF, but I may let that one become a 22LR gun or more likely a test bed for an RDS.

The grip without inserts is the same as the SF as far as I can tell. Trigger reach is within .01mm, so I'll call that one identical. The width of the frame may be less. I measured 2mm less in width, but my current unit does sport Tru-Grip tape so that may be the difference. New grip texture is awesome. Shot it today in 103 heat and had no issues hanging onto the thing. The new mag release is also awesome. Me and my short thumbs are thankful. Never could manage to use my thumb on the current design and have been using the index finger on the ambi release. Now I can use the thumb without a hellatious grip change. Trigger out of the box sux. Measured about 1" past the 8# mark at the end of my scale. After dry firing the crap out of it it got down to 1/4" past the end. Still total crap IMO and will be cleaned up before it sees a holster.

Ran 450 rounds through it today (100-WWB, 100-Monarch, 100-Collins 230 reman, 50-Hornady 185 Critical Def, 50-Hornady 185 XTP and 50-Fed 230 Hydra-Shock) without a hickup. The Monarch was very old ($9.99 a box printed on the back) and the Collins was pretty soft. Neither gave it any issues. Had a few soft ejects that landed on my arm, but it all functioned. Accuracy was minute of desert plate at 15yds, which I dont think is bad considering the crap trigger, sights and a so-so shooter behind the trigger.

Here are some pics of what she looks like and what I noted as being different between the guts of my G21SF and the Gen4 unit.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3443/77086126.jpg
http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/1737/43684581.jpg
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/944/84251103.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2472/46408536.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3490/83268083.jpg
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2248/59366680.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3971/44969325.jpg
Bottom one is the new unit. There is also a different part number printed on the slide release.

The only mis-step was the slide release. Upon reassembly after cleaning it would not drop out of the and allow me to sling shot the slide home. After some wiggling and such the issue became intermittent and after the first mag it went away. Whe I broke it down after the shooting there were some serious wear mark around the perimeter of the hole. I assume it either had some burs or was just a tight fit that needed some break in.

jamaicanj
06-06-11, 10:02
Gen4 21 is the next Glock in line for me to purchase.

Gargoyle
06-06-11, 10:32
Just found this: LOL!
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12182866/glock-gen-4-design-meeting

bubba04
06-06-11, 10:37
Thats pretty damn funny.

Just found this: LOL!
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12182866/glock-gen-4-design-meeting

JonInWA
06-08-11, 11:45
I handled my first G21 Gen4 yesterday, (after using my G21 Gen 3 "big butt" in a match last weekend). I was less impressed that I thought I'd be. The biggest improvement was the magazine release; it's enlarged profile translates into less hand movement needed to engage it. That said, I've never really had issues with accessing my Gen 3's magazine release. While the new grip squares/texturizations are effective, they didn't strike me as being that much more effective than what was on the Gen 3 guns, and less effective then the polymids of the Gen 3 RTF2 finish (and the RTF2 polymids went up higher on the receiver). Frankly, using a mountain bike innertube cut to size on my Gen 3 G21 receiver grip area provides me with ideal grippability and tactility, without further significantly bulking out the receiver.

While there may be some benefits to the nested recoil spring set-up in terms of spring longevity, I don't think that anyone considered the Gen 3 G21 single-strand flat spring recoil spring assembly to be "broken"...I suspect that benefits to this set-up may accrue primarily to the Gen4 G20 in 10mm down the line.

The Gen4 grip without the additional backstraps is actually a tad bit more reduced than the Gen 3 SF grip, which will be advantageous to some (especially LEO/organizations).

My personal conclusions? For me, my Gen 3 G21 is a superb performer, and I have no compelling/discernable need to replace it with a Gen4 G21.

Best, Jon

Race
06-08-11, 12:43
While there may be some benefits to the nested recoil spring set-up in terms of spring longevity, I don't think that anyone considered the Gen 3 G21 single-strand flat spring recoil spring assembly to be "broken"...I suspect that benefits to this set-up may accrue primarily to the Gen4 G20 in 10mm down the line.

Which, I'm not sure what was broken with the G20 10mm that would necessitate this recoil spring.

I'm also interested to see how durable the muzzle plate that retains the front of the recoil spring assembly holds up. I'm curious if it will be prone to cracking. There is much less material in that area, now.

Whtwolf14
06-08-11, 13:32
I'd take one for HD, to replace my G17. But I'm saving up for a G30sf, maybe the Gen4 when it comes out.

stmcelroy
06-08-11, 20:46
Love the grip texture on my 19Gen4 and run Talon Grip tape on my 21SF, so yes I will buy a 21Gen4.:D

VolGrad
06-09-11, 07:26
The Gen4 grip without the additional backstraps is actually a tad bit more reduced than the Gen 3 SF grip, which will be advantageous to some (especially LEO/organizations).
I thought it felt like it was a bit smaller myself.

Someone already linked to my thread on P-F.com so I won't repeat all my comments or post pics, etc.

I'll just leave it with this, "I'm very pleased thus far .... and I was previously not enamored with the Gen4 given I had a G19 with issues."

Gargoyle
06-09-11, 09:13
Gen 4 G21 Results:

Pros:

- 500rnds = 100% out of box reliability
- Trigger lighter and smoother
- Perceived recoil smoother. Just noticeable difference!
- RTF has more grip than skateboard tape (95 F with 90% humidity)
- Rougher phosphate slide finish much easier to grip. (Teflan kitchen pan type finish on my gen 3 always led to slippery grip)
- Magazine release is awesomesauce! Good improvement!
- TLR-1 weapon light attached to rail for 500rnd session gave no problems.

Neutral:

-Without backstraps, grip feels smaller than SF Gen 3. A positive for those wanting the G21 to feel more like a G22.

For me, shooting without backstrap, with a smaller grip, has me shifting POI horizontally. I will either familiarize and train to the grip, or add the medium size backstrap that will put the grip to regular Gen 3 21 size. (The grip size that somehow makes accuracy effortless for me with a Gen 3)

- Phosphate finish looks like it will scratch and wear easier than the teflon pan finish. I was sliding it around my work bench and noticed some faint scratches.

Cons:

- Backstaps mount with a single push through pin. (Might need blue loctite if a backstrap is used) Initial thoughts are that the backstrap mounting method is chincy.

Conclusion:

So there you have it from my perspective. I think this was a good buy and improvement over my Gen 3 G21 that I have been duty carrying for 8 years. The Gen 4 will be in my holster on my next shift.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/G21Gen4.jpg

VolGrad
06-09-11, 09:29
Gen 4 G21 Results:
Great report. Thanks for posting.

I have the same light but haven't fired with it attached yet. I was concerned that might affect reliability on Gen4. Good to know you haven't had any issues.

Lost River
06-09-11, 10:32
Good assessment Gargoyle.

Having a G21 and G21SF, I doubt I will be picking up a Gen 4 anytime soon, but it is good to know that they seem to be running smoothly.

Gargoyle
06-10-11, 14:54
200 more rounds...no problems.

Timbonez
06-11-11, 03:06
Thanks for the review, Gargoyle. What kind of shooting did you do in those 700 rounds?

Gargoyle
06-11-11, 05:41
Just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pekiti#p/u/25/JcGp3SP94AA

Timbonez
06-11-11, 14:50
Haha, I thought I recognized the youtube name before the video started. It's the same dude that does stupid things with blades. That guy is a whack job.

Back on topic, I guess I'll have to take a look at the G21 Gen4 after I return from this deployment. Thanks.

Gargoyle
06-11-11, 14:58
My favorite is the "Just hanging out" light saber version!

I started out shooting 1" bullseye stickers at 5 yds, 9 to a paper plate and didn't move to the next bull until I hit the bull prior. Its a simple drill, but fine tunes the fundamentals.

After 200rnds of the paper plate drill I shot on steel IPSC plates from 15-35yds. Slow, rapid, slow rapid strings, from holster. Did a couple magazine dumps via as fast as I could pull the trigger for functions testing. 100% functionality.

DHart
07-14-11, 14:03
The Gen 3 21SF is one of my most valued Glocks and I've been looking forward to the G21 Gen 4 for quite a while.

I need to call my local shops and try to find a Gen4 G21. My preference would be for the much grittier/sharper RTF (I love the feel and grip of my G17 RTF!), rather than the somewhat softened Gen 4 grip texture... but I'm sure one of these Gen4's will find it's way to my home.

JonInWA
07-14-11, 14:21
While I'm not anti-Gen4 in principle, given some of the initial issues that have arisen with the other Gen4 Glocks, I think I'd wait until the Gen4 G21 has been fielded for at least 6 months (and preferably with a decently-sized LEO to establish somewhat of a viable sample size) before considering getting one.

I do like the grip texture, the lengthened magazine release, and the frame backstraps. What remains to be seen is how the telescoping nested recoil assembly and any triggerbar and trigger housing mechanism modifications work...

Best, Jon

DHart
07-14-11, 14:54
Jon... the wait and see approach is a wise one! Buying the first samples of any newly re-designed mechanical product involves some risk! We only need to look at the Gen4 19 as an example. Though the only real issue with that was Glock trying to use the same dual/nested recoil spring weight for 9 as for 40 - especially for shooters of light 9mm ammo. With the issuance of a somewhat lighter spring, the Gen4 G19 seems to be dialed in now.

Glock has a long and successful experience with designing dual/nested recoil springs in 9, 40, 10, and 45 (with the time-tested G26, 27, 29, 30 models) and has learned some valuable lessons from their more recent introduction of the Gen4 17, 19, 22, and 23. The wait and see approach on the Gen4 G21 is always a safer approach, but I believe that the G21 Gen4 will be a resounding success. :)

JonInWA
07-14-11, 15:02
Jon... the wait and see approach is a wise one! Buying the first samples of any newly re-designed mechanical product involves some risk! We only need to look at the Gen4 19 as an example. Though the only real issue with that was Glock trying to use the same dual/nested recoil spring weight for 9 as for 40 - especially for shooters of light 9mm ammo. With the issuance of a somewhat lighter spring, the Gen4 G19 seems to be dialed in now.

Glock has a lot of successful experience with designing dual/nested recoil springs in 9, 40, 10, and 45 (with the time-tested G26, 27, 29, 30 models) and has learned some valuable lessons from their more recent introduction of the Gen4 17, 19, 22, and 23. The wait and see approach on the Gen4 G21 is always a safer approach, but I believe that the G21 Gen4 will be a resounding success.

One part of me agrees with you (or wants to), the other part of me ruminates on the other/previous Gen4 issues, and overall I really wish that Glock simply would have applied the Gen4 cosmetic changes to the G21 (and for that matter, to the G17 and G19) and remained with the single-strand recoil assembly-which wasn't broken anyhow...

In my mind, the primary beneficiaries of the Gen4 recoil system are the .40, .357 SIG, and 10mm Glocks, due to the quick pressure spike and/or increased recoil forces inherent with these cartridges.

Yeah, there's the increased longevity of the recoil system assembly regardles of caliber, but that never really was an issue in the 9mm or .45 ACP Glocks IMHO (and the single-strand recoil assemblys are dirt-cheap anyhow).

Best, Jon

DHart
07-14-11, 15:21
Yeah... I'm with you on that. I would have been happy if the only changes were the new grip frame and mag release - the rest of it I'm relatively neutral about. Although personally, I would much prefer the new Gen 4 grip frame have the same coarse texture as the Gen 3 RTF's rather than a knocked-down texture.

mashed68
07-14-11, 16:00
I can see someone buying a new gen4 because they don't have a G21 already or theirs is very worn out otherwise I don't see the where the upgrade comes from.

DHart
07-14-11, 16:59
Or, if you want to add a second G21 to one you already have... not a bad idea to have two if it's a gun you are committed to having and shooting a lot. I'm a big fan of the G19 and G21, myself.

JonInWA
07-14-11, 17:28
Since I usually pair up my G17 and G21 at GSSF competitions, I have tham identically set up, with Glock steel sights and the Glock extended slide release.

My G19 has Trijicons, a smooth trigger, and the extended slide release, and a Gen 3.5 triggerbar (with the trough and dogleg extension for the trigger spring, but no dimple on the vertical extension impinging on the firing pin safety).

My G34 has a set of Warren Tactical sights, the 4.5 lb "minus" connector, and the NY1 spring.

All are pre-2010 Gen 3 guns. All have the updated "1" Zytel recoil spring assembly, and the G21 has the updated triggerbar.

My next Glock will probably be a G17-either a Gen 3 RTF2 or a Gen4, which I'll probably equip to be paired with the G34, using Warren Tactical sights, a "minus" connector/NY1 spring, an extended magazine release, extended slide stop.

Or I may decide to equip it with the Vickers/Tango Down magazine release and slide release.

Best, Jon

sgtlmj
07-14-11, 21:17
Local LE dealer had their annual Glock Day last week. Lots of free swag and $10 off any Glock purchased today.

I've had two G21's over the years, a Gen2 and a Gen3. I always found something else shiny to distract me and sold them, but I've had this empty spot in my soul for another G21. Figured the Glock Day flier I got emailed to me was a sign.

I had them hold a G21SF and a G21 Gen4 so I could compare them. They felt the same in my hand, and the triggers were really close. I have a Gen4 G17, so I'm not biased against Gen4s.

The deciding factor was that I plan on using the platform for tinkering. I'm going to start with a G21/20 10mm conversion barrel, and possibly get a G20 top end if I find that I like 10mm enough. The Gen3 still allows a little more flexibility with aftermarket RSA's, slides, etc.

230therapy
11-02-11, 11:17

No, it's more like a Glock 17 that's a tad bigger. I can get my finger on the trigger properly with the Glock 21 Gen4; the G21 SF is still a bit long for my hand.

I like the texture on the grip. It's very good; I wish my Gen3 guns had it.

The magazine release is perfect for me. I constantly dumped the magazine on the draw with my old Glock 21. I had to shave the bottom of the release to prevent accidental activation.

My gun has been reliable so far and the Ghost connector improves the trigger pull.

platoonDaddy
11-02-11, 17:09
Didn't read all the postings, therefore not sure if this has been posted: "hickok45" just released a video of the G21 Gen 4.

Believe he is out to 75 yards with the 45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD58uhNu1v0&feature=fvst

TAZ
11-28-11, 15:28
Finally received a new and improved RSA, not that I was having issues. I called after the "recall" just to make sure that I had the latest iteration. Put another 300 RDS down range without any issues. Only apparent change is a formed metal cup around the front on the spring assembly where the RSA interacts with the slide. Assuming this is to eliminate any chance that one of the springs would bind into the hole in the slide. I can't tell if the weights have been tweaked or not. I think another 300 or so rounds without issue will make this a service gun in the next week or two.

PLCedeno
12-21-11, 04:16
Just received my new Gen4 G21. Fired 250 rounds last night without a hitch. The gun feels very similar to the Gen4 fullsize 17/22 to the touch. Recoil can best be described as softer than the gen3 G21. Very easy to place sights back on target. Where the G22 snaps the G21 shoves. A few more hundred rounds and then have to consider sight replacement from OEM.

Overall-happy.

I tried doing support hand only shooting and came to the realization that this very important technique needs to be practiced more often. Its hard. Next day my left hand is still kind of shaky. I really have to admire people like LAV who seem to be able to do it without any downside.

Alaskapopo
12-21-11, 05:31

I got a Gen 4 17 and love it. I will probably get rid of my Gen 3 17 and get another Gen 4. My roommate got a Gen 4 21 and the grip is much better than previous 21 grips that were more like bricks. It makes me want to get a Gen 4 Glock 20 for woods carry. The grip is the most worthwhile upgrade to me. The grip angle feels like a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing. To upgrade is simple remove your night sights from your current Glock and install the cheap plastic sights and sell it for 300 to 400 then turn around and put that money towards a new gen 4 and install your night sights on the new gun.
pat