PDA

View Full Version : USMC to field Infantry Automatic Rifles (HK 416)

ioc102
06-03-11, 14:46
I've been briefed by my chain of command that the Commandant has authorized the fielding of HK IAR. I haven't seen the official MARADMIN on it but I'm curious to see the results and feedbacks from the field. My battalion last year sent some Marines to test the IARs and they had some good things to say but nothing too exciting. I think by replacing the M249 with IAR, we are losing a true area-fire "suppression" weapon since the IAR does not come with 200-round drum capability and only takes standard M16 Mags. We all know C-mag's not exactly the most reliable and the time it takes to refill it makes it impractical in combat. I fail to see the reason to not keep the SAW and switch to IAR. If we are going to field IAR, we might as well issue them to every rifleman. I'm tracking all the debates on the unproven Piston Operating System. I guess we'll wait and see.

Ed L.
06-03-11, 20:14
I'm tracking all the debates on the unproven Piston Operating System. I guess we'll wait and see.

The HK416 is the most proven AR piston operating system out there. It has been used by the US Army's most elite unit since 2004 or 2005.

Now, whether it makes sense to replace weapons capable of high volume like SAWs with this is another matter entirely.

5cary
06-03-11, 22:09
Volume is the key here. Leaving the technical jargon aside, for the grunts on the ground this will always come down to sheer firepower - rounds down range. I've carried an M249, spare barrel and all. I'm having a hard time picturing the IAR matching the volume of fire with AR mags. I'll be curious to see how this plays out.

JSantoro
06-03-11, 22:14
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42470&highlight=choose