PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Good Prices on Uppers, Any In-Stock BCGs

Jellybean
06-03-11, 15:00
I am trying to help someone out with an AR build on a budget, and as
stated, I am looking around for some good prices on complete uppers, plus any in-stock Bolt Carier Groups.
The lower is pretty much figured out, but I've not had much success finding uppers either on the usual web sites, or the EE here.

The person I'm helping would prefer a rail.
(however if I find good enough deal it might go the other way, so go ahead and include those without too)
Best I've seen so far is a DD DIY-customization upper on Smartgunner- $655 with (mostly) your pick of rail, no BCG.
Aimsurplus- Spikes (boo hiss:p) upper+ BCG+MOE handguard-$499(Out of Stock)

Of course a BCG would be nice, either included or separate, seeing as all the BCM/DD/LMT/etc. ones are out of stock all over....:mad:
This is getting really annoying as we'd like to order the bulk of the upper & lower parts from one or two places (PSA was looking good until no BCGs) to cut down on repeat shipping costs, but you know how it goes- one thing here, the other thing there...:rolleyes:

Any help would be much appreciated.

punkey71
06-03-11, 15:09
I was trying to do the same thing months ago...

Ended up putting myself on the email notification for BCM uppers/bcg and GRtactical BCG.

This is in stock http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm

If you REALLY need rails on all sides look elsewhere, but I'm very happy with it.

As soon as you get the email, order it. If you wait a day you may be shit out of luck....

In stock and quality parts is almost an oxymoron these days.

Harold

Jellybean
06-03-11, 15:18
^That^ is a nice option, if it were for me.

One thing I neglected to mention in my OP- for the person I'm helping out, this will be his first AR. So I'm thinking sticking with a standard FSP might be a little simpler.

SA80Dan
06-03-11, 15:29
Here's a fantastic deal upper inc CH and BCG:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2216.php

- if you don't like the handguards you can specify a rail.

...ETA - sorry - see you said they had no BCGs....

ETA again - but it seems they are in stock now....

punkey71
06-03-11, 15:30
Then this...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm Also in stock

Add some MOE handguards and call it a day on a new AR shooter. He can add a light or grip with small rail panels if he wants.

He can always add a full rail if he really feels he needs it, but to buy a fully railed gun for $2-300 more with no clue what he wants to do with it might not be the best choice.

Harold

Iraqgunz
06-03-11, 15:41
Jelly,

Check your PM's.

punkey71
06-03-11, 15:43
Here's a fantastic deal upper inc CH and BCG:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2216.php

- if you don't like the handguards you can specify a rail.

...ETA - sorry - see you said they had no BCGs....

ETA again - but it seems they are in stock now....

That's an economical option if you want a carbine gas system. While i've heard tons of rumors who makes PSA's stuff, I have no idea of who actually does. I'm not saying good or bad...just nothing definitive as to supplier. Specs look good, but so did Spikes in 2008 :jester:

I can only offer you my personal story...started with a Bushy 5 years ago, added a RRA with a rail 3 years ago. Sold them both to buy 3 BCM uppers. Two are 16" middys with A2 front sights and MOE handguards, the other is the above 16" middy with VTAC rail for 3 gun. I had 3 spikes lowers (didn't drop pmags) and sold them to get 3 blem BCM lowers from Grant. 3 complete BCM rifles now. I'm happy.

It was a long road that probably cost me a lot more than it should had I gone with BCM from the get go. But hell, I learned a lot, ripped apart a lot of rifles to see the difference and I'm better off now.

Money lost, knowledge gained. That's life in a nutshell.

Harold

SA80Dan
06-03-11, 15:48
While i've heard tons of rumors who makes PSA's stuff, I have no idea of who actually does.

Not to start a pissing contest, but do you know who makes all of BCM's stuff then?

Sure, PSA are not as well established as BCM so are yet to be proven, but from my personal dealings with them and the noise on the wienernet, they seem to me to be trying very hard to do it right and are trustworthy.

punkey71
06-03-11, 16:04
Not to start a pissing contest, but do you know who makes all of BCM's stuff then?

Sure, PSA are not as well established as BCM so are yet to be proven, but from my personal dealings with them and the noise on the wienernet, they seem to me to be trying very hard to do it right and are trustworthy.

Hey Dan,

Pissing contest will NOT follow..I assure you.

I have used PSA and will in the future. I've used their LPK build kits on several friends lowers. Ammo prices are fantastic. Nothing but satisfied.

I will end this by saying I agree, they are not as established and leave it at that. Not a slam, just a fact.

Best,
Harold

SA80Dan
06-03-11, 16:11
I will end this by saying I agree, they are not as established and leave it at that.

Best,
Harold

Sure Harold, no prob - that piece I agree with, and surely time will tell...but until I hear anything to the contrary, I'm more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt and trust them at their word re the specs.

Jellybean
06-03-11, 16:12
Then this...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm Also in stock

Add some MOE handguards and call it a day on a new AR shooter. He can add a light or grip with small rail panels if he wants.

He can always add a full rail if he really feels he needs it, but to buy a fully railed gun for $2-300 more with no clue what he wants to do with it might not be the best choice.

Harold
And that right there is EXACTLY what I would have him do, if I had complete control over the build. Alas, I think he's pretty hell-bent on a rail at this point- probably because my AR's got one. I'll try again, but....

Saw the PSA uppers. Pretty interesting- will look into more. Although I think a more well known brand still might go over a little better.

punkey71
06-03-11, 16:13
Sure Harold, no prob - that piece I agree with, and surely time will tell...but until I hear anything to the contrary, I'm more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt and trust them at their word re the specs.

And no one would blame you for it.

Enjoy Sir!

Harold

punkey71
06-03-11, 16:17
And that right there is EXACTLY what I would have him do, if I had complete control over the build. Alas, I think he's pretty hell-bent on a rail at this point- probably because my AR's got one. I'll try again, but....

Saw the PSA uppers. Pretty interesting- will look into more. Although I think a more well known brand still might go over a little better.

Be a good friend and try again to convince him.

You will most likely be saving him some serious coin!

Hell, show him some threads on M4....he may learn something before he buys something he will sell shortly (like myself).

Harold

CarlosLehder
06-03-11, 17:43
Smartgunner has a good deal on Daniel Defense assembled uppers.

The mid lengths I think are sold out now, but there is a mid length with the 12" omega x rail for $650, a good deal in my opinion.

Jellybean
06-03-11, 18:02
Be a good friend and try again to convince him.

You will most likely be saving him some serious coin!

Hell, show him some threads on M4....he may learn something before he buys something he will sell shortly (like myself).

Harold
I have no intention of stopping until he clicks the 'order' button.:moil:

Tell me about it- two completely different total numbers between MOE Vs. Rail.

CarlosL.- Yep, those were the uppers I mentioned originally

CarlosLehder
06-03-11, 18:57
I was referring to this one:

http://www.smartgunner.com/DD-16-GOVT-M-OX12-URG.aspx

It is in stock and ready for shipping, no wait.

I am contemplating the custom upper, the wait time is a while, but I have been waiting for a long time for the BCM LW uppers to come back in stock.

Jellybean
06-03-11, 19:31
I was referring to this one:

http://www.smartgunner.com/DD-16-GOVT-M-OX12-URG.aspx

I gotcha.