PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Rifle Optics

vdog
06-03-11, 18:52
I have been wondering about changing optics on my RRA Middy patrol rifle. I currently have an Eotech on the rifle. I am a Conservation Officer and feel as though engagements or threats futher than the normal LEO would be a possiblity ie being on boats, rural areas. Now I have nothing to back this up at this time, everytime it has been deployed it has been CQB situations. So my question is am I crazy thinking about getting a 1-4 varible instead of my EO, due close contacts seeming to be the norm. Currently with the EO I mentaly switch to the Iron sights after 80-100 yards. I just dont have the confidence with the EO past that as I do the iron. Just having some thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

DaBears_85
06-03-11, 20:11
I understand what your saying, but it sounds like you just need some more trigger time with the EOTech. You shouldn't have any issues with hitting a target at 80-100 yards with an RDS. Hell, you shouldn't have any issues hitting one out to 300 yards. If your set on trying a variable-power optic however, why not try one of EOTech's magnifiers (http://www.eotech-inc.com/products.php?id=3) before replacing the optic altogether?

J

vdog
06-03-11, 20:18
Should say I really dont have trouble hitting just find myself instinctivly switching to the irons. I have thought about the magnifier but not crazy about having something else to snag when it is flipped out. Maybe im just being overly critical.

Chameleox
06-03-11, 20:41
I just dwitched from a 4X ACOG to an Aimpoint H1 for patrol use. Granted, my area of responsibility is different from yours, but I found that with a red dot, I can be very accurate out to 200 yds, yet still be fast up close.

If you do decide that a 3X magnifier works for you, and you're concerned about knocking it around, then consider a quick release mount for it. If you think you need it, take it along, and mount it if you have time. If not, the red dot, with training, may be sufficient.

ra2bach
06-03-11, 22:57
I have been wondering about changing optics on my RRA Middy patrol rifle. I currently have an Eotech on the rifle. I am a Conservation Officer and feel as though engagements or threats futher than the normal LEO would be a possiblity ie being on boats, rural areas. Now I have nothing to back this up at this time, everytime it has been deployed it has been CQB situations. So my question is am I crazy thinking about getting a 1-4 varible instead of my EO, due close contacts seeming to be the norm. Currently with the EO I mentaly switch to the Iron sights after 80-100 yards. I just dont have the confidence with the EO past that as I do the iron. Just having some thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

I think you are very wise considering the 1-4 optic considering your AO. what few compromises the magnified optic brings over a straight RDS is more than made up if your engagements are most likely made at 50+ yards.

there are folks who say they can shoot just as fast and accurately at CQB distance with one but I am not one of those. however, anything over that, the ability to twist the target a little closer does wonders for identifying and accurately hitting the threat. I have one on my "walking around" rifle....

sgtjosh
06-04-11, 00:32
It sounds like an ACOG might be appropriate for your needs.

boomhower
06-15-11, 02:19
Get some more trigger time before dumping the RDS. 100 yards shouldn't be an issue with it. If it doesn't click with you then certainly change it for something that does but I'd give it some time considering the benefits up close.