PDA

View Full Version : Troy Fixed BUIS question

Crow Hunter
06-03-11, 21:13
This is going to sound like a really stupid question.

I have a new setup on my optics that I have been trying and so far I really like it. I moved my AP M4s back almost touching the BUIS and it takes alot of the weight off the front and balances alot better for me.

I tried it with my BUIS raised and I really liked it. I would like to get a fixed BUIS that is the same size as the Troy BUIS raised.

Just looking at the Troy Fixed BUIS it looks like it pretty much is the same as a Troy Folding BUIS raised.

Does anyone have both or know for sure? I would hate to buy a set and find out it doesn't work the way I want it to.

Thanks

christcorp
06-03-11, 21:23
Not a stupid question; but let me ask a stupid question. What is the advantage you're looking for, by putting in a fixed sight compared to leaving the folding sight on, and simply leaving it up all the time? Remember, these are BACKUP SIGHTS. Which means; unless your optics go out, you probably would never use them. Wouldn't it be better to leave the folding sights down when not in use? Or, if for some reason you like them up, just leave them up. The reason I bought a fixed rear sight, was because it had an adjustable elevation on it. Not very practical or common on a folding rear sight. For those, you normally adjust the front sight for elevation. But if you already have a folding rear, and you like how it works, I'd just keep that. You can always just leave it up all the time. Just a stupid question on my part.

Crow Hunter
06-03-11, 21:51
Not a stupid question; but let me ask a stupid question. What is the advantage you're looking for, by putting in a fixed sight compared to leaving the folding sight on, and simply leaving it up all the time? Remember, these are BACKUP SIGHTS. Which means; unless your optics go out, you probably would never use them. Wouldn't it be better to leave the folding sights down when not in use? Or, if for some reason you like them up, just leave them up. The reason I bought a fixed rear sight, was because it had an adjustable elevation on it. Not very practical or common on a folding rear sight. For those, you normally adjust the front sight for elevation. But if you already have a folding rear, and you like how it works, I'd just keep that. You can always just leave it up all the time. Just a stupid question on my part.

I don't really trust them to be up all the time.

Folded down, it is somewhat protected. I figure that the fixed rear sight is more sturdy and if I am going to be running it with the sights up anyway, I should get the more sturdy/durable rear sight.

It might be a stupid thing, especially if I can't get what I am looking for.

christcorp
06-03-11, 22:05
That's cool. I can understand that. I would think that most sights; at least the viewing angle; are at the same height. Therefor, the fixed sight will most likely be the same height as the flip sights. According to Troy, they are equivalent alternatives to standard A2 sights. Therefor they'd have to be the same height. Maybe you can take your rear sight off and take it to a local gun shop that sells sights and compare the height.

HaydenB
06-03-11, 22:05
If one of your BIUS are going to get bumped, it's probably 10x more likely to be your front.

And yes, Troy fixed sights are the EXACT same height as the as the folding ones.

ra2bach
06-03-11, 22:20
This is going to sound like a really stupid question.

I have a new setup on my optics that I have been trying and so far I really like it. I moved my AP M4s back almost touching the BUIS and it takes alot of the weight off the front and balances alot better for me.

I tried it with my BUIS raised and I really liked it. I would like to get a fixed BUIS that is the same size as the Troy BUIS raised.

Just looking at the Troy Fixed BUIS it looks like it pretty much is the same as a Troy Folding BUIS raised.

Does anyone have both or know for sure? I would hate to buy a set and find out it doesn't work the way I want it to.

Thanks

the aperture will be at the same height. the shroud around the rear sight will be higher and thicker on the fixed sight to protect it.

Crow Hunter
06-03-11, 22:29
If one of your BIUS are going to get bumped, it's probably 10x more likely to be your front.

And yes, Troy fixed sights are the EXACT same height as the as the folding ones.

Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

By size, I mean front to back (muzzle to butt).

I should have included a picture. As you can see there is just enough room with the BUIS up for me to get my see through scope cap open. That is what I am wondering. Is the fixed sight basically a non-folding version of what I see in this picture, so it will work the same without the folding feature or is it going to protrude farther to the muzzle and interfere with the opening/closing of my cap. (Should I ever need to open/close it)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/IMG_0826.jpg

Yes, I know it is really close to the rear sight. But I had a wild idea and so I tried it. So far, I like it.

The only reason I had it out as far as I did before was because everyone else online was doing it that way and it let me put a magnifier behind it. I have gotten to where I really don't like my magnifier so I thought I would try something different. I won't get to try it out shooting until next weekend but in my "dancing in the dark" around the house, I have liked it better. (I left my backup rifle in the previous condition so I could compare)

Of course, I am still wondering about getting a TA33 so maybe I should just keep the folders.:confused:

Damn, I'm drifting my own thread....:rolleyes:

christcorp
06-03-11, 22:36
Definitely a different question. I can't answer for Troy, but I do have both Yankee Hill folding and fixed rear sights. The Fixed sights actually "appear" to be shorter in depth. "I've never measured them. It simply appears shorter". I think it's because you don't need the additional gap for the hinged area. I would assume that most fixed sights are shorter in depth than their folding versions.

Crow Hunter
06-03-11, 22:58
An even better picture showing what I am trying to do and trying to avoid. This is just far enough back that the cap will flex around it. If I could get this with a BUIS I would be okay, not the preferred method, but okay.

I want to run it one more notch forward. Where T4 is just visible. I don't figure that I could get a DDA1.5 or Larue to work with this but maybe someon who has a similar setup could be a pal and check it for me. :)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/IMG_0829.jpg

Thanks for working with me on my kooky ideas.

buckjay
06-04-11, 01:34
I'd say your best bet would be to go down to a larger local gun shop with your gun/sight mounted and see if they'd let you try them out.

Usually I find most shops to be very accommodating.

Good luck!