PDA

View Full Version : Some prototype Krebs rifles, shooting with Ken Hackathorn, and more.

MilitaryArms
06-03-11, 21:47
In this video you will see full-auto's, semi-auto's, some custom rifles, even the new MKA 1919 12ga shotgun. Plus, you'll see me shooting with Ken Hackathorn and helping Marc Krebs test out some interesting new prototype rifles. I shot this in Ohio at a private gathering of of gun nuts last weekend and it's worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDqkgAMfBog

Ken gave me a Safariland holster that I've never used before and it took me a bit to get the hang of it. I'm used to the SERPA, and it shows.

But this was a great weekend and the weapons I had a chance to work with were amazing.

TOrrock
06-03-11, 22:14
Ken's definitely The Man.

MilitaryArms
06-03-11, 22:24
Ken's definitely The Man.

You couldn't ask to meet a nicer, more knowledgeable, or more capable guy. It was great having the opportunity to chat with him and to shoot with him. One of those things in life you will never forget.

TOrrock
06-03-11, 22:30
If you can schedule it, definitely sign up for a multi day/night class with him. Even if your schedule doesn't look like it will allow for it, modify your schedule.

Handgun or carbine, or a combination of the two, you'd be learning from a master.

TOrrock
06-03-11, 22:33
Ken's an AK guy too.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37886

:cool:

MilitaryArms
06-04-11, 07:59
Ken's an AK guy too.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37886

:cool:
Yeah, I showed him a Mako Defense right side folder I had received for T&E. He really liked it, and he's a fan of the RS Products AKM mount as well (which I brought with me). He's had an AKM mount for T&E, so it wasn't the first time he had seen it.

Yup, I think he's a fan of the AK rifle. :D

Cagemonkey
06-04-11, 09:53
@ 6:45 in the video, someone shoots the SIG with the lower receiver takedown pin in the disengaged position. WTF. Other than that, nice video. Thanks

espnazi
06-04-11, 13:03
Great video with some nice prototypes.

JChops
06-04-11, 18:55
Great job with that. You are very professional and could teach 99 percent of "YouTube hosts" a thing or twenty about producing a proper video.

Krebs has been a personal friend of mine for over a decade now and he never ceases to amaze me with his machining skills, his dedication to the AK platform and ultimately his quest for making it even more robust, user-friendly and accurate.

I wish everyone could see all the neat prototypes he's had over the years and how everything has evolved.

LHS
06-04-11, 19:24
I have a fond childhood memory of Ken breaking out an old Steyr-Maadi AK and teaching me how to run it back in the late 80s/early 90s. Not surprisingly for those who know him, his current AK teachings are substantially different. Ken never gets stuck in a doctrinal rut. He's always looking for the next best thing, and if it works better than his previous techniques, he'll likely adopt it.

He is truly The Man, as Templar said.

MilitaryArms
06-04-11, 19:36
@ 6:45 in the video, someone shoots the SIG with the lower receiver takedown pin in the disengaged position. WTF. Other than that, nice video. Thanks

Great catch. I don't know who that is, but it's not me as I always wear a ball cap and have blue Dillon Precision ears. My camera guy caught someone else on the rifle.

MilitaryArms
06-04-11, 19:40
Great job with that. You are very professional and could teach 99 percent of "YouTube hosts" a thing or twenty about producing a proper video.

Krebs has been a personal friend of mine for over a decade now and he never ceases to amaze me with his machining skills, his dedication to the AK platform and ultimately his quest for making it even more robust, user-friendly and accurate.

I wish everyone could see all the neat prototypes he's had over the years and how everything has evolved.

I've only known Marc for a short time, but at this point I consider him to be a friend. He contacted me about a video I posted some time back and we started chatting on the phone fairly regularly. It turns out we only live about 1.5 hours from each other. Then he invited me to this private shoot and I met some of the folks he runs with, all of whom are outstanding people. Now Marc and I are making plans to do some more shooting and he's been kind enough to invite me to document some of his work, which I think will be very interesting for those of us who enjoy the AK system and certainly from a historical standpoint. He's truly a master of his craft.

Cagemonkey
06-04-11, 20:02
Great catch. I don't know who that is, but it's not me as I always wear a ball cap and have blue Dillon Precision ears. My camera guy caught someone else on the rifle.No problem. Great stuff. Keep up the good work. Wish I lived in the area.

Trajan
06-05-11, 00:53
Marietta is in my backyard. :sad:
But I can see why something like that is invite only.

Norinco
06-05-11, 01:40
Wow! Looks like an amazing way to spend the weekend. I'm hanging out with the wrong people.

Finski
06-05-11, 03:10
Great videos...

Got to ask: what is the stock on the first rifle you handle (the one with stock folding to right) on RS Products AKM 30mm Optics Mount video ?

Looks bit like galil knucle mated with AR stock?

Iraqgunz
06-05-11, 04:53
I thought it was my imagination. Thanks for validating my sanity.

MilitaryArms
06-05-11, 10:00
Great videos...

Got to ask: what is the stock on the first rifle you handle (the one with stock folding to right) on RS Products AKM 30mm Optics Mount video ?

Looks bit like galil knucle mated with AR stock?
That's exactly what it is. It's manufactured by FAB and imported by The Mako Group. It's a Galil hinge with a unique stock. The stock has a riser allowing you to use it with optics like the POSP scopes, and it works perfectly. The riser retracts and it works as a right hand folder that doesn't interfere with the left side optics mount on the AKM.

The down side? It's a $430 stock.

They do make one with a polymer hinge/lock which is also reversible for both left or right hand folding that retails for $144. I will have both stocks hopefully soon so I can do a video comparing them. But I can honestly say without hesitation that the stock you're inquiring about is the best stock I've ever used on an AK. It also drops right in without any modifications required to the rear trunion.

Vitor
06-05-11, 16:24
Sub-moa AK is sweeeet!