PDA

View Full Version : Troy or DD fixed BUIS?

SoDak
06-03-11, 23:36
I'm looking to buy a fixed rear sight and I'm having troubles deciding between the models offered by Troy and Daniel Defense. I'm leaning toward the troy since it is same plane, but I like that the Daniel Defense sight uses the A1 windage adjustment system. Any opinions on which might be better?

G22inSC
06-04-11, 09:03
I have always run the Troy; however, just yesterday I picked up the DD. I like it better except for the lack of same plane. I am contemplating trying to swap some pieces and have a same plane DD. It appears as though you could remove just the aperture from the Troy and utilize it with the DD just by looking at it. Has anyone done this?

boomhower
06-15-11, 02:20
I'm happy with my DD. Solid and easy to adjust.

Crow Hunter
06-15-11, 21:20
I am interested in this too.

I am contemplating changing out my folding Troys for a set of fixed BUIS.

I don't have either one but looking at pictures the Troys seem to mimic the folding sights in the up position (I almost said erect:jester:)

Looking at the DD, it seems to project further towards the muzzle than the Troys. (Like cover up T2 on the top rail)

Can you guys do me a favor?

What rail position is visible directly in front of the sight?

On a Troy folder T2 is visible.

What is visible on the Troy fixed and the DD fixed?

ryr8828
06-15-11, 21:41
I am interested in this too.

I am contemplating changing out my folding Troys for a set of fixed BUIS.

I don't have either one but looking at pictures the Troys seem to mimic the folding sights in the up position (I almost said erect:jester:)

Looking at the DD, it seems to project further towards the muzzle than the Troys. (Like cover up T2 on the top rail)

Can you guys do me a favor?

What rail position is visible directly in front of the sight?

On a Troy folder T2 is visible.

What is visible on the Troy fixed and the DD fixed?

T2 is visible on my DD V1 fixed sight as it came from the factory. I don't have any troy fixed sights, only folders, sorry.

Crow Hunter
06-15-11, 22:09
T2 is visible on my DD V1 fixed sight as it came from the factory. I don't have any troy fixed sights, only folders, sorry.

Cool thanks, it looks like it is further forward in the pictures on the net.

I would prefer to get the DD since it "looks" more durable than the Troy fixed.

Again from pictures...

Dave in NC
06-17-11, 21:16
I too am facing this same problem, but until I saw this thread, I just ASSUMED the Daniel Defense was same plane, even though the adjustment wheel is A1 style. I TOO like the DD better for looks than the Troy.

From this thread and an older one I found on this forum, I had just about decided AGAINST DD, but I emailed them today, and had a reply within 30 minutes:

"Thank you for your interest in Daniel Defense and our products. Our A1.5 Sights offer Same Plane Aperture. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me."

I thanked him for the quick reply and sent a link to the older thread where someone said they spoke to DD and were told they not. About 30 minutes later, I got the following reply:

"I gotcha. The answer is that they definitely are same plane sights. I confirmed this with multiple sources within our company including engineering."

So, when money allows, I'm going with DD...

Striker6
06-17-11, 22:33
Double tap. Sorry.

Striker6
06-17-11, 22:35
Timely and pertinent information for me. I have a new BCM 14.5 middy en route and just ordered the DD fixed rear BUIS to compliment it today.
Thanks again for the help m4carbine.net