PDA

View Full Version : LMT BUIS - any good?

buckjay
06-04-11, 01:13
I'm going to be receiving my LMT MRP in the next week or so and I'm wondering how good the rear LMT BUIS is.

I'll be replacing the front one with a troy folding one, but I'd rather wait on the rear one for a while if its a good sight. Mainly want to shoot in the 100m - 200m range.

I appreciate any help.

Dave

Bradd_D
06-04-11, 10:59
I've been using the LMT fixed rear sight for years and it's a good sight. I just tighten it down with a quarter and I'm GTG.

RD62
06-04-11, 20:40
Good sight but a tad big and heavy compared to others on the market.

I had a couple and liked them, especially once I changed out the bulky thumb nut for a standard one (lower profile).

I ended up swapping to the DD A1.5 as I found it cheaper, lighter, and less likely to lose zero without the elevation drum and the A2 style windage knob. I find I don't need the elevation adjustment, and I like the locking detent of the A1 style windage knob.

geistacwm
06-05-11, 13:31
Solid, but heavy.

Bradd_D
06-05-11, 14:12
The newest version of the sight is considerably lighter due to removal of material on the inside the sight. The only real use I have for the elevation adjustment is using it to keep my apertures on the same plane. One of my rifles has a DD A1.5 and I'm just as happy with that.

LiveFreeOrDie2111
06-11-11, 08:53
LMT makes some great stuff (a bit pricey) but good. A BUIS is a BUIS, different peep holes and arrangements but it still does the same thing as the next one down the line. Bottom line is you're only going to use it when something goes drastically wrong (optic gets destroyed, broke, etc) You want it to be reliable, made of metal (not some plastic piece of shit) and have pos clicks. I've ran a Knight's Arm BUIS for 8 years, the same one on every issued rifle and only had to employ it twice due to a busted RCO prism the first time, and a battery failure in my Leupold MK4 the second time. It was right there dialed in and sighted true both times. Go with something you are comfortable with, don't play for looks, and stay away from that magpul crap (the rest of their gear is spot on, guess they just got a beating from the stupid stick when they designed their sights).