PDA

View Full Version : might be making a trade... need to know the approximate value of this AR

masakari
06-04-11, 14:07
Somebody recently offered to trade me the following rifle and accessories. What would you say the approximate value of it all is?
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20110604_140419.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20110604_140522.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20110604_140750.jpg
Its a Colt lightweight A2 carbine, comes with everything pictured. He says that's about 800 rounds of ammo.
Thanks guys!

DaBears_85
06-04-11, 14:22
Nice rifle. Do you have any pictures of its guts? Did he happen to mention why he's selling it?

J

Stickman
06-04-11, 14:36
The rail is junk, and the M7 is useless, so I certainly wouldn't add anything for that. I think with the ammo and some mags you are probably in the $1300-1400 range at best. Low ball would be $1100.

Then again, if its a trade, it skews things.

DaBears_85
06-04-11, 14:42
What are you offering, or considering offering, as a trade?

The rail is junk, and the M7 is useless, so I certainly wouldn't add anything for that. I think with the ammo and some mags you are probably in the $1300-1400 range at best. Low ball would be $1100.

Then again, if its a trade, it skews things.

What is that rail?

J

masakari
06-04-11, 14:58
Yeah I actually asked if he had the original barrel nut and handguards instead, that rail (yankee hill free float) is not my taste. The bayonet, rail, mags, BAD lever, and MIAD grip would get swapped out and/or sold by me anyways, but having a nice lightweight A2 carbine is somewhat attractive right now to me, though cash is better. Plus, I could always use more ammo!
it would be a trade for my 1911 and accessories that he wants, and I don't really need. But then again, I don't really NEED another AR either!
and as far as internals, it sounds like its all stock colt.

Iraqgunz
06-04-11, 15:02
That rail looks like some Yankee Hill wholesomeness.

What are you offering, or considering offering, as a trade?

What is that rail?

J

Iraqgunz
06-04-11, 15:07
The main question is what are you offering? I have seen new Colt 6520's for just under 1000.00. You can get a case of that ammo for around 320.00 delivered.

For the magazines I would say another 100.00 or so.

The rail is worthless and the bayonet is a novelty. So the question is what are you giving up to get it?

DaBears_85
06-04-11, 15:26
Did he happen to mention why he's selling it?

J

As you were, I forgot you mentioned that it's a potential trade item. Regardless, you should still ask him why he's willing to part with it in lieu of something else.

J

ucrt
06-04-11, 15:38
As you were, I forgot you mentioned that it's a potential trade item. Regardless, you should still ask him why he's willing to part with it in lieu of something else.

J

===========================

If you don't need either the 1911 or the AR, I think if you can get a better trade for the AR, down here, an AR is more desirable. So in actuality, (the way I look at it), you'd be trading up.
Although, (again, down here) a flat-top is more desirable, so you might want to take that into consideration.
But if you can, try to test-drive the AR...couldn't hurt.

But maybe it's just me...

masakari
06-04-11, 15:58
Right now, what's keeping me on the edge is that silly rail, I'd want to swap it out for a normal D ring, but don't have one or the tools to remove the front sight (barracks life, yaay) so that would cost more $ if I had that done.
But I was actuaally thinking about getting a similar rifle sometime, just with an A1 upper and CAR or MOE handguards. So I think this would be a good deal.

ucrt
06-04-11, 16:09
Right now, what's keeping me on the edge is that silly rail, I'd want to swap it out for a normal D ring, but don't have one or the tools to remove the front sight (barracks life, yaay) so that would cost more $ if I had that done.
But I was actuaally thinking about getting a similar rifle sometime, just with an A1 upper and CAR or MOE handguards. So I think this would be a good deal.

=========================================

I agree, so just subtract that from what you're willing to put in it. But as a trade item, some turk deville would just probably love that rail... ;)

DaBears_85
06-04-11, 17:14

Your Supply Sgt. might have the tool(s) you'd need. It wouldn't hurt to ask at least. Well, unless he's a dick and you're an E-3 or below. :big_boss:

=========================================

I agree, so just subtract that from what you're willing to put in it. But as a trade item, some turk deville would just probably love that rail... ;)

Agreed. I'm certain you could find some slack-jawed lackey over on barfcom to sell it to. :D

J

masakari
06-04-11, 17:18
Nope, Sergeant, plus I know the armory guys being that they work for me (im a marksmanship instructor) but unfortunately, there is a policy against working on personal weapons, so im not sure how that will roll over. Id prefer to just handle this outside of working circles. I have an armorers wrench, just no vice or punches for the gas tube or front sight. I think in that case that I would just bring it to the local gun shop and have them throw on a D ring and handguard cap.

DaBears_85
06-04-11, 17:36
Nope, Sergeant, plus I know the armory guys being that they work for me (im a marksmanship instructor) but unfortunately, there is a policy against working on personal weapons, so im not sure how that will roll over. Id prefer to just handle this outside of working circles. I have an armorers wrench, just no vice or punches for the gas tube or front sight. I think in that case that I would just bring it to the local gun shop and have them throw on a D ring and handguard cap.

Roger, it was just an idea. Sorry about getting your thread side-tracked.

J

masakari
06-04-11, 19:38
No worries man! Thanks for the info guys.

BluegrassGunGuy
06-04-11, 20:35
Sorry if I missed it while reading through but what kind of 1911 is it that you would be trading, cause that makes a big difference whether it is a good deal or not.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-04-11, 20:43
Masakari, are you stationed at Camp Pen? If so, message me and when I get back from this field OP I can lend you some tools and my garage to play around in. Assuming that we're both NCOs+, you can bring beer haha.

Dirtyboy333
06-04-11, 23:46
Punches are pretty cheap but I've used my Glock armorers tool numerous times to take of the front sight. I'm not familiar with YM rails but I don't think there would be any need to take the gas tube out of the sight/block.

ETA: that might not work bc my pins were straight and not tapered but for a few bucks you can get get a nice 1/16th punch

masakari
06-05-11, 00:03
Blue Grass: its a Kimber.
Low Speed: thanks for the offer, but nope im a CMT in Yuma, AZ... not far, but I tend to avoid going to the country of Kalifornistan ;) if you plan on coming to America though, let me know and the beer is on me!

BCmJUnKie
06-05-11, 01:22
The rail looks like a UTG. A $50 rail. No way I would trade a Kimber for a carry handle AR. You could build one to the specs YOU wanted and still keep your 1911

Dirtyboy333
06-05-11, 02:26
The rail looks like a UTG. A $50 rail. No way I would trade a Kimber for a carry handle AR. You could build one to the specs YOU wanted and still keep your 1911

That's what I originally thought the rail was also but it could also be a YHM bc I don't know what they look like.

This is just my personal opinion based on my tastes but I think 1k is the most I would pay for everything in the pic. I know if u add up the individual prices is much more than that but it isn't a flat top and conversely if I was selling that package I would expect 1k.

Iraqgunz
06-05-11, 04:51
If you roll up towards Phoenix I can hook you up.

Low Speed: thanks for the offer, but nope im a CMT in Yuma, AZ... not far, but I tend to avoid going to the country of Kalifornistan ;) if you plan on coming to America though, let me know and the beer is on me!

BluegrassGunGuy
06-05-11, 07:14

If it's a gen 1 kimber I would keep the 1911 if its a gen 2 kimber I would make the trade.

duece71
06-05-11, 08:23
Think about this.........if you do make the trade, how much $$$$ is it going to cost you to get the rifle to what you want??? The rail seems to be an issue. If you are replacing it with a Magpul, ok, but if its a DD or Larue.......more $$$$$. Are you going to put a RDS on it?? Suppressor?? Any pictures in the AR picture thread that you have been drooling over??? A trade is good, but its the desire to make it YOUR rifle afterwards that involves $$$. I love 1911's and AR's but I have no experience with Kimber products. BTW, what do you intend to do with the rifle?? Can't go wrong with a Colt. Just my .02

masakari
06-05-11, 10:26
If you roll up towards Phoenix I can hook you up.
I will definately take you up on that! Infact, if I make the trade, it will be when im home on leave at the end of the month for my state police interview, and im flying out of phoenix... so maybe when im back on the 25th ;) thanks!

But as far as what I want to do to this rifle, I would swap the rail for standard MOE handguards, put on an A2 pistol grip (already have), add a light on the handguards, Troy QD single point sling mount (already have), GGG QD front sight tower sling mount, and eventually throw a ACOG in the carry handle.

BCmJUnKie
06-05-11, 10:27
Think about this.........if you do make the trade, how much $$$$ is it going to cost you to get the rifle to what you want???

I couldnt have said it better. I know this from personal experience. I did this on the first AR I owned, I wanted something I could build up, after the build it ended up having ONLY the lower from the original rifle (which I replaced anyway). So I ended up buying TWO rifles and spending twice as much instead of getting EXACTLY what I wanted the first time

masakari
06-05-11, 10:52
I couldnt have said it better. I know this from personal experience. I did this on the first AR I owned, I wanted something I could build up, after the build it ended up having ONLY the lower from the original rifle (which I replaced anyway). So I ended up buying TWO rifles and spending twice as much instead of getting EXACTLY what I wanted the first time

This is the case with my first AR too; even my LPK is different!
but fortunately, in this scenario, I wouldn't have TOO much work to do to it.