PDA

View Full Version : Typical bullet trajectory/deviation thru glass?

nickdrak
06-04-11, 20:58
Guys,

Need alittle help here asap....

LE Comp in the morning and I was just given the courses of fire to review for the event. One of the stages requires us to shoot thru a pane of glass that is at a 90 degree angle, 5 feet in-front of the target.

What is the basic rule of thumb when shooting thru a single pane of "residential" glass?

The distance we are shooting this particular stage at is 40yds.

Thanks in advance!

Stay safe,
Nick

Guns-up.50
06-04-11, 21:13
My personal expirence is aim lower than your intended tgt

Just below or right at where the top of the steering wheel should be.. the bullet will be deflected by the angle of the windshield

Goodluck

Guns-up.50
06-04-11, 21:16

Just below or right at where the top of the steering wheel should be.. the bullet will be deflected by the angle of the windshield

Goodluck

AHHH sorry i thought i saw something about shooting at cars in there..... Not sure of bullet deflection on flat single pane glass.

nickdrak
06-04-11, 21:18

Goodluck

Thanks! Sorry, I just re-read the description and it sounds like it is replicating shooting thru a single pane of residential window glass. Not an angled vehicle windshield. I edited my original post.

ucrt
06-04-11, 21:40

I've shot through single window panes (what I think you're talking about?) in a trash dump one time at about 25-yards and didn't notice any deflection. The targets we were shooting were about 4'-6' behind the window frames. I don't remember having to compensate.

DocGKR
06-05-11, 00:15
There is generally no compensation needed for a 90 degree hit on typical residential window glass.

BCmJUnKie
06-05-11, 00:28
There is generally no compensation needed for a 90 degree hit on typical residential window glass.

+1.
And what are you using? Rifle or handgun?

nickdrak
06-05-11, 04:58
Thanks gents, greatly appreciated. It is a patrol rifle competition.

ALCOAR
06-05-11, 23:46

Axcelea
06-06-11, 11:24
I think information related to what elevation you are in relation to the window (assuming) would have different answers. Seems to me if your lower elevation you would need to hold low and if your higher then you need to hold high but if your dead on shooting perpendicular to a flat piece of glass then there should be little to no deflection.

So if the scenario has you shooting up or down two stories then it could change.

nickdrak
06-06-11, 12:16
Thanks gents. It was a flat trajectory 40yd shot. I was shooting my duty ammo (Speer 64gr Gold Dot). The target was a 3x3" head portion of a silhoette. There was no deviation with the impact on the target at all. My round impacted dead center of the head box.

kmrtnsn
06-06-11, 13:54
Good Job Nick! Question for you, this is our duty ammo, I have yet to shoot it beyond 100m (training range limitations). Do you have any experience with it out to 5-600m?

Odd Job
06-06-11, 14:00
For those interested in bullets vs auto glass there is a nice thread on the AFTE public forums.

nickdrak
06-06-11, 22:48
Good Job Nick! Question for you, this is our duty ammo, I have yet to shoot it beyond 100m (training range limitations). Do you have any experience with it out to 5-600m?

As far as accuracy goes It shoots more accurately out of my 14.5" BCM middy @ 200yds than the 69gr BTHP Prvi PPU "Match" ammo I shot for the entire match other than that single 40yd shot thru the glass.

I shot a couple of groups of the 64gr GD @ 200yds the day before the competition to confirm my zero and any variations in my zero with the two different rounds.