PDA

View Full Version : Odds and ends

sgtjosh
06-04-11, 22:09
I just completed my first AR build. I am not new to the platform, as I was introduced to it during military service and continue to field it during the course of my current employment. However, i have always been privy to having an armorer at my disposal to deal with whatever issue should arise. I have begun compiling a support product shopping list.

So far, I have determined that I will need

vise blocks for upper and lower
armorers punches
combo wrench
spare set of springs
spare set of pins
broken shell extractor

Can anyone offer any other suggestions. I like to be prepared for all likely (and some unlikely) contingencies.

GTifosi
06-04-11, 22:17
Torque wrench to use with the combi~wrench.
Ideally two torque wrenches actually. One in lb/foot and another in lb/inch calibrations.

6~8 ounce brass hammer.
Pivot pin install/removal tool.
Good flat tip screwdriver if working with rifle stocks.

If you're gonna go springs and pins, might as well go gas rings, bolt cam, extractor, extractor spring and insert, firing pin and firing pin retaining pin too.

Heck, depending on how carried away you want to get, a bolt jig for working the ejector wouldn't hurt to have either.

Actually I seem to recall a thread about this somewhere with a pretty darn good list.
Just can't quite put my fingeron if it was an active thread or one of the stickies here or in the technical discussion subsection.

DaBears_85
06-04-11, 23:35
It probably wouldn't hurt to have a good set of roll-pin punches either.

ROLL PIN PUNCHES - Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5551/Product/ROLL_PIN_PUNCHES)

J