PDA

View Full Version : Hot 9mm brass to the face? Help please!

HaydenB
06-04-11, 22:22
So approximately 6 months ago I bought a Glock 34 OD. It's been great so far through 1200 rounds, except for the fact that, what seems like every other shot the hot brass either hits me on top of my head or my right bicep (small target :p) Any ideas on why?

Magsz
06-04-11, 22:28
Have you futzed with the recoil spring? What loads are you shooting?

Is the gun stock?

The same thing happens with my Gen 4 G19.

I would try changing the extractor and seeing if that fixes things up.

Also, i hate to ask but are you shooting with a good solid grip with locked wrists?

HaydenB
06-05-11, 01:14
Have you futzed with the recoil spring? What loads are you shooting?

Is the gun stock?

The same thing happens with my Gen 4 G19.

I would try changing the extractor and seeing if that fixes things up.

Also, i hate to ask but are you shooting with a good solid grip with locked wrists?

I'm shooting both Winchester white box 115 grain, and Federal 115 grain. All internals are stock. I shoot with a very solid, isosceles stance, with a both thumbs forward, high bore axis grip. I do have a metal slide cover plate; could that make a difference?

skyugo
06-05-11, 02:47
shooting hotter loads would probably help.
the gun is well lubed?

does it do it with every mag? I've noiticed the older mags tend to huck brass back at my face more on my g19. not sure exactly why, but a new production mag with a #6 follower tends to give a nice ejection to the right.

Carniemedic
06-06-11, 16:29
I had the same type of experience when ever I shot my Gen 4 G23. I tried different types of ammo always with the same result. I have never had any other of my pistols do this. After many spent rounds to the forehead, a bunch of stove pipes, and the crappy serrations on the trigger that always made my finger tip raw I sold it for what I had into it, and bought a different makers .40.

2ac
06-06-11, 17:16
There is an extensive thread running on Glock Talk about this right now. Seems to be extractor related. I get the same thing from my Gen4 G19. Think I'll try a LWD extractor in mine and see if it helps.

HaydenB
06-06-11, 17:39
Thanks guys.

JHC
06-06-11, 17:51
So approximately 6 months ago I bought a Glock 34 OD. It's been great so far through 1200 rounds, except for the fact that, what seems like every other shot the hot brass either hits me on top of my head or my right bicep (small target :p) Any ideas on why?

Every other shot sounds like a problem. But to the load selection questions, I have seen this phenom (not every other round but with some consistency) with about every Glock 9mm I've owned (about 12 I guess) and somewhat with a M&P Pro 9 but only when shooting loads like you described (economy class 115). Never with 124 grain loads or heavier. FWIW.

HaydenB
06-06-11, 20:54
Every other shot sounds like a problem. But to the load selection questions, I have seen this phenom (not every other round but with some consistency) with about every Glock 9mm I've owned (about 12 I guess) and somewhat with a M&P Pro 9 but only when shooting loads like you described (economy class 115). Never with 124 grain loads or heavier. FWIW.

Good to know. I'll try some 124 grain gold dot.

eo500
06-06-11, 23:14
I had a similar problem with my gen 3 G19. Everything shoots great except for the 124 grain Winchester +P+ that ejected almost every empty case back at my face. No other ammo I've tried did that, so I now use 147gr for my SD ammo. Shoot a box of different ammo, and see if that helps. If not, you may want to try an after-market recoil spring to see if that changes the ejection pattern.